Should Overwatch be free?

F2P - Hackerpocolypse

i know i will be looking for cheats if it goes free, infinite new accounts = no risk and lots more fun :slight_smile:

Simple.

Free games like Genshin Impact, Clash of royale (Mobile game) and Clash of clans, example of free games, those free games make people spend money on them to progress quicker, not use a lot of time waiting. Games like OW, with just skins and lootboxes n junk to purchase, that don’t help with progression. This is OW, mainly a 6v6 FPS game (Not entirely FPS but near enough and 5v5 when OW2 hits), and with how Blizz have been with style / skins, I really don’t see them making much money from F2P.

Do you remember the questionairre they sent out ages ago.

Yeah, F2P is coming with customisable skins. Immediately a new revenue stream.

What you are doing is judging based on the lazy products they put out now… of course they are a bit meh, they make nothing for their time, so just bash them out.

Apex is the example you need to be looking at. Some version of battlepasses are what will come. And if Apex can make $500million net profile… OW can easily hit $1billion… they did that with loot boxes alone.

So you telling me World of Warcraft would make more money if it went F2P than what it does now? I don’t think you understand the kinds of games that actually make money from F2P, OW kinda game not being one of them.

I think it would yes. The sub model puts a surprising number of people off from trying it.

And then you can easily sell customisable things, mounts, XP boosts and so on.

So the fact WoW has millions of subscribers, that’s 1,000,000s x £9.99 A MONTH, and you think they’d make more being F2P.

Ok buddy.

They currently do.

But they will make more than $10 a month F2P.

Apex is making about $30 a month from each player atm.

Last 30 Days: 6,955,014. (Average monthly subscribers)

Oh, really? Where do you get your info from, Nightwing Limited?

You clearly don’t.

It is actually 4.74 million. Estimated.

The annual accounts have it being much much lower, as that figure also includes people on free trials.

“In addition, the free-to-play business model, which allows players to try a new game with no upfront cost, has begun to receive broader acceptance on PC and console platforms. This provides opportunities for us to increase the reach of our franchises through free-to-play offerings, which, in turn, provides opportunities to further drive player investment, as was seen with our recent Call of Duty: Warzone release.”

unless you want to pay a monthly fee for the game or unlock characters faster for cash or wait about a month to unlock 1 character, then yeah it can go f2p.

it’s really the same just a different business model.

That doesn’t happen with Apex though. Its just cosmetics and emotes and stuff and the game is very profitable.

So OW will do that and probably make more money.

By selling emotes and junk? Who in the right mind would spend money on that.

Just because people like me and you wouldn’t, doesn’t mean a lot of other won’t.

Apex is aiming for $2billion in profit since launch.

Doesn’t take a much to figure out how engagement and licencing deals will generate huge sums.

I highly doubt they’ll generate huge sums.

Licensing is what is making the game profitable now.

Add in purchasable cosmetic content and they’ll be milking that cash cow in the short term.

Then the proposed deal with netflix might return to the table and give them a nice cash injection.

If this game ends up going F2P it’ll get an easy and infinite supply of toxic people and cheaters, and it has more than enough of those already.

That is partially a myth.

Yes the overall number of cheaters and toxic players will go up. As will the number of normal players, or players that just never talk.

Overall it will lead to a much lower percentage of “bad” accounts.

You don’t even know this, these are just assumptions, like most things you talk about.

no, you have to pay to get more characters faster in apex, sure you can substitute that with time investment that ultimately leads to more players playing the game more frequently but they are not having as much fun as they could be if they just payed the extra price for the character they wanted to play, but with that extra time investment into the game just makes it more likely that they will pay for things down the line.

apex is basically bait and switch like many other games of it’s f2p kind is.

people pay just as much money to play that game like any other if not even more so because it costs more to actually unlock the entirety of the game if you were to use money to do so.

but do you really want to pay to play for example roadhog because the only other tank that is free to play is reinhardt? or play reinhardt for 3 months until you’ve actually unlocked roadhog?
characters do get put behind a paywall in a f2p system, that paywall either consists of money or time.

now for some that’s fine, but there’s a lot of people who don’t want to pay 20$ per character or play 500 hours to unlock the 1 character they wanted to play.

That’ll just be XP boosts in OW2. That’s fine, if people want to pay for that. But they’ve already said heroes, maps and modes will always be free. They want everyone playing the same game.

They’ve already hinted it’ll be a thing in the questionnaire they sent out.

Plus customisable skins and stuff like that.

Literally if they can charge for it, they will.