Video settings not updating

I have a problem where my game doesn’t update the video settings in game even after restarting and I am locked in Ultra, which make the game unplayable.

A very IMPORTANT thing to understand is that THE FILE “Settings_v0.ini” IS UPDATED, SO THIS IS A DIFFERENT PROBLEM NOT REGARDING ACCESS PERMISSIONS. So please do not give me solutions regarding this file because I already tried them all and none of them worked.
I also reinstalled the game and moved it to a different drive, I also updated my graphic card drivers and it didn’t work.
I found a way to improve performance by lowering the resolution (which doesn’t need the game to restart), but now my pc is struggling again.

I already created a topic discussing the problem but it was deleted with no reason 5 days after its creation, so this is very infuriating.

Did you try to delete all files in “C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\Overwatch” folder, which should force the game to create new config files?

Deleting those files only impacts the file Settings_v0.ini (the game is stored in an other disk), so it doesn’t resolve the problem.

Main game files are irrelevant since they don’t affect your video setting files.

The files Settings_v0.ini IS your setting file, so if you want to change in-game video setting this is the files which need to be edited either by game, or by you manually e.g. edited in notepad.

Do this:

• Open Settings_v0.ini in notepad, find GFXPresetLevel, and set it’s value to 1 which is LOW graphic preset, then press Ctrl+S to save file, and relaunch game, and tell me what happened :slight_smile:

tried this?
:arrow_lower_right:

As I said in the post, the file Settings_v0.ini is working fine : when in-game, i can change every option and when closing the game, I can see that the file was correctly edited (for my case, i can see that GFXPresetLevel is set to 1). But when I relaunch the game, I can see that the graphics are still set to Ultra. When I go to the setting tab, the settings are set to low.

Manualy changing the screen resolution or framerate (settings that does not need restarting) in the file works fine though.

you use OneDrive?

1. Check if OneDrive is preventing Battle.net Games from accessing or modifying files in your Documents folder and unsync your Documents folder from OneDrive.

source: Blizzard Support - Cannot Save Starcraft: Remastered Campaign

Yeah, it seems like something is overriding your changes, so I would look into any services i.e. OneDrive which Majrin mentions.

It’s seriously the same behavior as with e.g. smartphone which is hooked up to e.g. Google account and every time you delete a Contact it syncs it back up, and looks like you didn’t change anything, lol

Edit:
Also, I would like to mention that your INI file can look like the changes were made when your game is running, but they are NOT saved at a time. What the game is doing is equivalent to you making changes to text file, and closing it without saving.

It might only look like the game is changing your INI file, but the reality is that it can’t save those changes due to lack of permissions, or something (i.e. antivirus software) blocking the game from saving those changes.

I uninstalled OneDrive a while ago, so this mustn’t be the problem. As I said previously, the game can access and edit the .ini file without problems.
In order to check if the file was edited, I checked the file after closing the game, so I can assure you that modifications in-game edit the .ini file.

How about:
Change setting to w/e you need it to be, close game, check if changes are done in the INI file, and then set your INI file to “read only” and see if it will stop file from being rewritten :slight_smile:

Ok so I don’t think I was clear on my explaination. The file works as intended, meaning that when I edit settings in-game, it is edited in the file. But what is not working is that the game doesn’t apply those settings to the game, and it doesn’t match what the setting tab and .ini file are displaying.
So there is no rewritting done by the game, it just doesn’t apply what the .ini file display, and keep the default settings.

do you use an optimizing/tuning software like

Nvidia GeForce Experience
AMD Radeon
Game Booster - Razer Cortex
Wise Game Booster

or something like that ?*

some of these applications have an pushy automatic mode that has to be deactivated first / manually

*if yes - turn off auto-optimization:

1 Like

Do as Marjin said, GPU software can override game settings if it’s setup to do so.
For example, my Radeon app have all graphic settings set to be under control of the game, and not the Radeon app.

1 Like

Hey, did anything work for your problem, is it solved?