Why Blizzard Won't Stop Smurfs

This Post is Not a Complaint about the Smurf Problem - It is a Complaint about Blizzard’s Inaction and Why They Won’t Change That

Blizzard have suggested that the issue with smurfs is too hard to fix. They’d have you think that the issue is simultaneously not an issue at all and something that’d be impossible to fix if it were an issue.

They should just drop the crap and come clean; They won’t do anything about smurfs because smurfs artificially inflate sales numbers for Overwatch.

If smurfs didn’t have to buy another copy of the game to smurf, the issue would’ve been fixed ages ago. And it’d be damn simple too. Slap a requirement to register a phone number to your account to play comp. Boom. Unless you somehow have unlimited phone numbers, you can’t smurf anymore.

I haven’t been playing Blizzard games long enough to know how they were in the past. I’ve heard stories of better days. A developer that genuinely cared and listened to their community. But it’s hard to believe any of it when I see a company that knows a problem exists in their community but refuses to do anything because the issue continuing allows them to pocket more cash.

EDIT: I do want to put up a disclaimer in addition to my original one;
While I do feel smurfing is a huge issue, I do feel some people blow it out of the water. I’m very new to Overwatch and even just PC gaming, yet alone PC FPS games. My career high SR is somewhere around 1800, IIRC. A few hours ago I was called a smurf by someone on the enemy team that was tilted. Their entire team left because they had someone I matched with previously who admitted to being a smurf and was randomly deciding to throw or play to win. This person was convinced that our whole team was smurfs.

Smurfing IS an issue, but some people get tilted and blow it out of the water.

2 Likes

Sales numbers and the “active” player base.

Seeing as they have to report this to shareholders. Shareholders that won’t know what smurf or alt accounts are, they’ll just see the number and think its good or bad.

So you will see sales, XP events and all that jazz around the time they are about to report to shareholders as a way to boost numbers.

5 Likes

they won’t do anything about it like every other company wouldn’t limit its own sales. wtf are you smoking to believe such a thing?

I mean, I’d love to get down and dirty on the topic of the role of corporate greed in the state of society today but I don’t want to bring politics into the discussion.

Yes, it would be stupid of any company to limit potential sales. It doesn’t make it any less scummy.

2 Likes

I agree. Only way they will take action is if it goes free to play.

At that point they will be harsher with these things because they won’t lose anything.

1 Like

do you know why they don’t do anything? because they are a stupid herd who don’t care about game, players, smurfs and balance sheet, it is only important for them to sell more copies, collect money from a league that nobody needs and release ow2, which, I hope, no one will buy. They can only get drunk, roll out completely idiotic balance updates and then roll them back. They call this work on the game.

Aaaaannnnd here it is.

Didn’t take long for someone to make aggressive, slanderous comments that have no foundations towards the dev team lol.

3 Likes

Who do you think is to blame for the bad game? community manager? lol

Players with terrible attitudes.

The dev team are just doing their job. You can disagree with their decisions, that is fine. But it is petty, entitled like yourself that just spend their time moaning and crying about things and getting tilted in games that bring it down.

2 Likes

Plus, smurfs will have to re-buy boxes to get the skins they liked.

People up until mid gold rage quit even if there are 0 smurfs in the enemy team. There are many people who use smurf accounts to warm up near their original rank or are trying to learn a new character on a brand new account. Picking up new characters is really hard in this game, and there might not be a better solution than smurfing, sadly. You can always say that they should just learn them on their main accounts, but that would introduce similar problems to smurfing, for example if I tried to learn tracer I’d probably fall really hard (like 600-800) probably to high gold, where if I started play my mains again to gain my sr back I’d ruin the fun for people, just like smurfs do

1 Like

Sigh… Yet ANOTHER smurf thread. Getting tiring now. What can Blizzard do about sad people that feel the need to purchase more than one of the same game. It’s money in Blizzards pocket.

Again, stop thinking that everyone that is better than you are smurfing. Get better, rise above it, beat them, crying on the forums won’t do jack.

3 Likes

did not quite understand what you meant

I described you as being petty and entitled.

Because all you do is cry and moan that the devs don’t do what you want them to do.

NEWS FLASH
THEY OWE YOU NOTHING.

They do the best job they can. If you don’t like, don’t play. No onw cares about people crying over it. It is just a video game.

If you can enjoy it and have fun, go play something else.

I’ll decide what to play. I’m not particularly interested in the opinion of a person who only plays for broken characters, you can continue to lick this game, but the fact is that it is terrible, whether you like it or not

Time invested in complaining about “ghosts” and possible “smurfs” = 5h per week
Time invested in watching replays and checking your own gameplay to improve = 20 mins max.

Amazing time management right guys?
… right?

GUYS?
:rofl:

1 Like

What “broken” characters do I play?

Not that anyone is broken. But who do I play…

Also, if you don’t want other peoples opinions… maybe go cry in bed on your own?

You are entitled to think it is terrible. Most people will just laugh at you. It is so bad you keep playing, and keep coming to the forums to cry about it.

1 Like

Actually just looking ar twitter the consensus is the game is probably in the best position its been as pretty much everyone is viable in the right situation.

Still don’t know what “broken” heros I play though haha.

this game is completely broken, it is much worse than 2 years ago and most will agree with me. If you are protecting a genji, then you dont want to be nerfed, therefore you are afraid that he will be nerfed and you will not be able to kill everyone. Perhaps this is not so, but I got the impression

Genji just doesn’t need a nerf because he is already one of the weakest DPS heroes in the game.

Personally I don’t play him, think I have about 20 minutes of play time in 3 years on him. But I know how weak he is.

I get that you don’t like the game, but you just have to go to Twitter to see the amount of people that are saying it is the best it has been in a very, very long time. And how many people are coming back at all ranks.

If the game is broken, then it wouldn’t work when people hit play.

The simple matter is you do not enjoy playing it at the moment. That is cool, can’t please everyone. But maybe in future, instead of crying about “broken” and nonsense like that. Maybe suggest small changes you’d like.

Constructive criticism is always going to be better received that your slanderous comments about the dev team.

1 Like