Why do people take this game so seriously?

I get it, we all want to win.

But you getting all pissy if we lose, is just embarrassing.

It is a game.

Blizzard allow people to smurf and throw games, so quite often you won’t get a fair match. They won’t fix this so the game is fundementally broken by its player base.

Just have a laugh and move on to the next match. Don’t get all sweaty about what comp/hero people are playing, they probably don’t care what you think. You are only in the match for a few minutes of your life, you can just move on.

And if it is that bad, it is making you angry, just Alt+F4. A game shouldn’t do that to you mental health (I say game, it is the current social climate. People just love to hate everyone and get angry about nothing).

Ultimately, if you find yourself getting annoyed by sweaty try hards in gold every game (like really, what are they trying to prove lol), just turn all comms off and have a laugh, or leave the game. Take the 10 minute penalty, go make yourself a cup of tea and chill out. Maybe go play a game that actually rewards you for not cheating. Like scrabble, or jenga.

3 Likes

It is a game.

And I want to win. Why is it offensive to some people that I care about the outcome? Surely if you don’t care, then you shouldn’t mind what I do? It seems like you do care just as much, you just care in the opposite direction. People get angry when you try.

Just have a laugh and move on to the next match.

This would be valid if the next match were going to be better. But it never gets better, actually it’s got continuously worse over the past few years.

if it is that bad, it is making you angry, just Alt+F4

Then you get punished…

4 Likes

Wining is just part of competition. But what you say here, I don’t think you understand what it means to be competitive. I bet you are one of those people that understands basic concept of things, gives minimal effort and says “I tried my best”.

I understand what it means to be competitive. I used to play football professionally until injuries stopped me.

So, yeah I have the desire to win, I focused that energy into my work.

I also know that losing isn’t the end. Which is my point, people on this game get so worked up when they lose it is embarrassing. It’s just a bump, maybe theirs a lesson to be learnt and you’ll improve, maybe they were cheating/someone in your team threw. But you have no control over what others do.

So just do your thing and chill out. The world will keep spinning if you lose.

2 Likes

If you played football professionally, I’m sure your coach didn’t expect from you to have careless mind set when they are paying you to give your best. But yeah, playing professional football in 10th league is also professional football. It is not embarrassing to express your dissatisfaction because you wanted to win more than the other dude in your team, especially if you are aiming for top.

Problem with players in Overwatch, they are not really trained to play this professionally and most players, they don’t tell you what was done wrongly because they don’t know what they are doing themselves so it’s easier to look up on some prick-lish streamer and think “If he is pro player and he is an idiot, then I should be like that too” and then, they just unleash full blown toxicity in game without any helpful info whatsoever because they don’t know what they are doing.

You cannot expect people that are actually competitive to not get upset about losing a game, especially if lost game is done in such obvious and stupid manner. You cannot expect people that are actually competitive to not keep challenging themselves because that’s what they do.

Sure, you are free to think “it’s just a game” but I don’t think you belong into competitive mind set of a gamer. Not to mention that there are lots of you who will “just laugh” when someone is giving their best to win.

Firstly, I clearly said we all want to win lol. Just calm down and dont get pissy when you lose. It happens. Grow up and move on to the next match. If you keep getting crap games, do something else. Unless you are the problem, then lol.

And what’s the punishment for alt+f4?? A 10 minute ban… that’s great, but if you’ve closed the game and are playing something else, it’s irrelevant.

And yes I know you lose SR, but who’s actually caring about an arbitrary system they implemented for the match maker. Only people interested in it are the ones with complexes look for something to flex about because it is all they’ve got. I find it quite funny.

Last night, I switched comms off, grabbed a beer and just picked who I felt like and chilled out. 6 games later (3 on tank, 3 support) I’d won 6 and then left to play something else.

People need to just chill out a little. You cant win everything. When you allow the general population to do something (play games, vote whatever) you will always get idiots looking to cheat the system. Just laugh at them for caring so much about looking good in what they are doing they need to cheat.

3 Likes

Firstly, I clearly said we all want to win lol. Just calm down and dont get pissy when you lose. It happens. Grow up and move on to the next match. If you keep getting crap games, do something else. Unless you are the problem, then lol.

And what’s the punishment for alt+f4?? A 10 minute ban… that’s great, but if you’ve closed the game and are playing something else, it’s irrelevant.

And yes I know you lose SR, but who’s actually caring about an arbitrary system they implemented for the match maker. Only people interested in it are the ones with complexes look for something to flex about because it is all they’ve got. I find it quite funny.

Last night, I switched comms off, grabbed a beer and just picked who I felt like and chilled out. 6 games later (3 on tank, 3 support) I’d won 6 and then left to play something else.

People need to just chill out a little. You cant win everything. When you allow the general population to do something (play games, vote whatever) you will always get idiots looking to cheat the system. Just laugh at them for caring so much about looking good in what they are doing they need to cheat.

2 Likes

It’s “competitive” which means you are here to compete, be the better team.
My teammates rarely wants to win, in my honest opinion…
They usually chase kills. Point, Payload and teammates is unaffected by their 1v6 strats.

People like you who ruin the competitive playstyle, with that casual laidback attitude.

I googled about this very question and stumbled upon this forum :joy: I 100% agree, we all want to win but the toxicity isn’t needed.

Exactly.

We can try hard. We can all learn to get good at the game. But if you’re not having fun and laughing with your team, whats the point.

1 Like