Why Smurfs REALLY aren't the problem

The two most common arguements I see against smurfs are

1. They play at ranks lower than their real rank, and therefore, it’s unfair.

No it isn’t. Most of the smurfs playing below their rank are tank and support mains trying to practice new heroes or roles.
Also, if you cannot beat a smurf that is a higher rank than you, then you don’t belong at that rank. It’s as simple as that.

1. They troll my games!

While this is may be a legitimate complaint, how often does it happen?

Why am I so biased about this?

I originally played OW on PS4. Console is FULL of smurfs. In fact, you’re practically guaranteed three in every match.
However, I didn’t see this as a problem.
When I get destroyed by an enemy pro genji, I learn how to counter him and improve, instead of going onto forums and crying about smurfs.

3 Likes

“If you can’t beat a Master level smurf in Bronze, you don’t deserve bronze lmao” my dude what?

how often does it happen?

I’ve found that games without troll players are extremely rare, which is why I don’t bother with comp.

I didn’t see this as a problem.

Open your eyes?

When I get destroyed by an enemy pro genji, I learn how to counter him and improve

Yeah man, we all deserve our ranks! If people 3 ranks above come into your game that’s because you suck and need to git gud! Instead of dealing with bad behaviour, improving the SR system and making the game fun, let’s tell the lowest ranked players to try harder!

Masters+ level smurfs are extremely rare in bronze. The vast majority are silver gold and plats, which you can learn from.

Games without trolls are the majority, and games with them are relatively rare. If you get the same guy repeatedly, learn the queue dodge or take a break (which is a good idea since you’ll likely be tilted regardless). The SR system is excellent at placing you at your actual rank over a big enough sample size of games. You have a equal likelihood of getting a smurf (and by the same logic, throwers) on either team. Sometimes you’ll get them on your team and get easy wins and sometimes you’ll get them on the other and get stomped. Overall it’s not a big issue in terms of getting you to your real SR. This is assuming you don’t piss them off and they press the avoid as teammate on you. It may mean every once in a while a game is unbalanced but it makes relatively little impact in the long run at putting you at the rank you deserve. It’s really not that hard.

1 Like

This is exactly the kind of nonsense I read on forums.
Regular games are NOT a rarity.

1 Like

They literally are, you realise I’ve played the game myself right? You can’t convince me that there aren’t throwers constantly when I’ve seen it.

Smurfs definitely are problem across the ranks. Big problem. Its still possible to climb sure but its much longer grind now. And its not fair to people who want to climb and who have to deal with them. People on alts or smurfs dont exactly troll most if the time but they dont care that much about wininng.

I have many friends with alt accounts and its complete opposite, most of them play dps on their smurfs/alts.

Then I guess you’re super unlucky and your terrible stats have nothing to do with your rank.

My stats are fine mate. If I join a game with a Roadhog feeding and screaming into his mic every time he dies I’m gonna call that throwing, if it upsets you that the game’s competitive system is poorly designed please help us fix it.

It isn’t the game’s fault that you can’t improve and beat someone who’s better than you.

can’t beat someone who’s better than you

That is kinda what “better” means, are you ok?

I’m going to jump in here and say Smurfs are a problem.

If your making a new account to play as a new hero that’s fine. But play to win and get the same rank, if not better and work to actually win.

You shouldn’t be playing comp to “Try a new hero”. That’s what QP and Arcade are for. The only exception being is if your in a 6-stack and you want to try some new ideas. Then go for it, you may lose some SR but you wont be dragging other down when they want to win.

You’re gonna get placed against people that are WAY better than you in QP. deal with it.

I’m a master smurf in low diamond trying to climb but it’s impossible, people throw my games and I get flamed when I ask to get heals or when I ask someone to switch, after I get banned lul OW is poorly made