"Your rendering device has been lost" error, getting increasingly severe penalties, please help!

Most of the time while I’m playing Overwatch, I have no issues. But sometimes the game will freeze and I’ll get the “Your rendering device has been lost. Application closing!” error. This is extremely frustrating as I just spent over $2k on building this gaming pc and so I don’t think it’s a hardware issue. Though I could be wrong.

If there is monitoring information I can gather and post, please let me know. I keep getting banned from competitive for increasingly long periods of time and now I’m afraid to even play lest I get banned for the whole season. It seems like something out of my control, so it’s extremely frustrating.

1 Like

As example, discord overlays.

You can either provide a ton of information, about what programs are installed, etc.

Or you follow the troubleshooting steps from blizzard, which they will ask you to do anyway.

I had the error yesterday, since I never use discord normally, I directly knew it’s discord, so i disabled the overlays, and was working again like a charm.

If it isn’t the fact of discord overlays, or any other overlay you might start the trouble shooting, or Uninstall razer software, Nvidia shadowplay (i won’t ever disable shadow play personally)

(works for me without issues but discord just makes problems sometimes.)

Hello hughesd22,

As Destrolock mentioned, overlays can often create conflicts with games and so on. If you have any software installed that has overlays, make sure you completely deactivate them.

I’d also recommend going through this forum message and following all the advice there; it has a ton of information about Rendering Device Lost error.
https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/crashes-performance-issues-read-this/22/11

If the issue persists, please create your DxDiag and MSInfo files:
battle.net/support/article/12988

You can paste the content of each file on a web like Pastebin and provide us with the links. If it doesn’t let you publish your message because of the links, try to paste them using the preformatted text option (</> button).

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!