Your rendering device has been lost. Still an issue 1 year later

Does anyone at Blizzard even care?

I and many others have had this issue for a long time and I’m surprised that it’s still an issue. I’ve lost so many games, so much SR and even being banned for something that is out of my hands.

Recently it’s become even worse, Overwatch crashes even more frequently than before and I’m no longer able to reconnect to a game after getting the “Your rendering device has been lost” error. It’s now just insta-ban.

If your developers are unable to fix this issue, can you at least make it so that you are able to reconnect to the game instead of being banned instantly?

While you’re at it can you also make it so that stats is saved when you get back in the game after a crash?

And for the sake of it, yes I have a Ryzen 1700 CPU and Vega 56 GPU.

Have you read the attached topic?

Mate, it’s not helping. Updated BIOS, chipset drivers, graphic drivers, even lan
It doesn’t solve the issue

Hello,

This error is not really a bug with the game. The main problem with it is that it’s a bit hard to diagnose and troubleshoot on a forum; “Rendering device has been lost” is often caused by hardware, power or system issues.

The first thing I recommend when someone is suffering from this error is going through this post and making sure they follow all the steps:

If nothing seems to fix it, my next recommendation would be taking the computer to a local technician so they can make sure everything is working as it should.

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!

I turned off SMT in BIOS for my Ryzen processor and it helped. Maybe you could try

Well, first of all, I happen to be a computer technician and my setup is godly.
But the only issue I have is these “Your rendering device has been lost”.
I’ve never seen this in any other game, and other games never crash for me at all. It’s just Ovwatch.

How hard can it be to get fixed? Or do no longer care? It’s been more than a year since the problems started (with Ryzen/Vega).

I even get this error when Overwatch is running in the background, alt+tabbed.

2 Likes

The thing is that it doesn’t seem to be a problem that can be fixed in the game itself, since it’s not a bug. Our developers have looked into this several times.

This error can be caused by several different reasons; drivers, power issues (I’ve seen cases where a player was getting that error on a laptop whenever he had the charger plugged in, but not when he was using the battery, for example, which suggested something could be wrong with the charger or the power system), overclocking (this one is common), Windows issues…

Have you tried every step listed on the article I linked on my previous message here?

My game started crashing a few months ago and I’ve getting this “Your rendering device has been lost! Application closing!” error and after that, my PC goes black for a second, freezes and it crashes (Blue Screen, BSOD appears). I am running Overwatch on compatibility mode, 50% render scale and on lowest settings possible. I get good frames but after a few minutes it crashes. My GPU goes 50-75°C

My specs:

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 920M
CPU: Intel core i3-4005U 1.70Ghz
RAM: 4GB
64-bit
Windows 10

I’m planning to switch to Windows 8 and that might fix it.

Some help please? I lose SR because of my bad PC!

PS I used to get BSOD (Blue Screen) on other games too.

Edit: I did some digging and downloaded HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner.

A BSOD definitely indicates something wrong with either the system (Windows), or any piece of hardware. There’s little support we can offer about BSOD because of this, so I would strongly recommend going to a local technician to check your computer.

On the other hand, both your GPU and CPU are below minimum requirements, so unfortunately we can’t offer support.

Okay, thanks! Unfortunately I don’t think I can actually upgrade my GPU or CPU because I have a laptop and well I can’t really afford for an upgrade or another PC so I guess I will deal with it…

If you are still experiencing this, I have tried alot (check link) and one fix worked;

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/rendering-device-lost-may-2018/1373

Theory: I think most mainboards default to PCIE gen 3 though some GPU’s are connected to the PCIE through a (riser) cable. This might be true for some laptops as well. Some of these riser cables can not fully support the higher bandwidth for PCIE Gen 3 and thus lose ‘connection’ once in a while. I put my PCIE configuration in the bios to Gen2 and never had a crash ever since (check post). Other games where this occurred, albeit way less frequent than in OW, stopped throwing the rendering device lost as well =).

You (or anyone else) could try to do this eventhough you don’t have (or are not sure) you have a riser cable when all other solutions fail. =)

If this worked for you please let me know in my post and vote for it!

Sapulidi

I had this problem, try every way in software fixed, but not improve. I buy a new Graphic card, It’s fixed. It’s may be problem from GPU.

Change or claim your Graphic card, it’s GPU problem. Return to the shop, change the new one.