Your rendering device has been lost

I’ve been getting issues with the error message “your rendering device has been lost” with no change in system settings.

I don’t think this is due to the Halloween event but I believe it happened since the last Nvidia update, although it was close to when a lot of people got disconnected and were put in a queue with thousands of people ahead of them.

Has anybody else had this issue out of the blue?

In case Blizz have a look and look at my old posts of issues and think this might be related, they have been fixed, it was a clash between an Alienware program and the BIOS.

Hi Deuteronomy,

Please try re-installing your graphics drivers. Before updating the drivers though, use a Display Driver Uninstaller to remove your current drivers to avoid any conflicts. Retest once more once done.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Hi

So I tried all of this previously but have been a bit busy/away to report but it still occasionally happens.

Today Dell replaced my laptop mobo including heatsinks/cooling, CPU, GPU etc due to another issue they wanted to problem solve so although all the hardware is the same (albeit with pretty much the best non-liquid metal TIM on the CPU and GPU) the specs are the same but the hardware is almost entirely different.

I believe this seems to be an optimisation issue on your side.

Please can you look into this further? Its a headache to say the least but also unpleasant to keep working up and dropping endorsement levels constantly…

Hello Deuteronomy,

The problem with this specific error is that it can be really hard to diagnose in the forums, since it’s often related to hardware issues (in many cases I’ve seen problems with the power supply, for example).

I would recommend checking this sticky thread where we’ve compiled some of the most common causes/solutions for the Rendering Device Lost error:

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!

Hi Delmoryth

I understand however the computer in question is a laptop.

Literally every piece of hardware has been replaced apart from the RAM and storage.

I’m happy to try anything you suggest but in terms of the issue, we’re talking about an entirely new computer has run into the same issues but with the same components.

This to me really sounds like an issue with software (of which everything is updated every 3-7 days) or issues with Overwatch not being optimised for certain components.

If you check the sticky thread I linked, you’ll see some of the causes and troubleshooting steps are related to software as well. Please, follow all the steps.

I’ve seen couple of cases where the issue seemed to be the power supply, that’s why I mentioned in my previous message. It’s just something to keep in mind.

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!

Have you come up with a fix for this yet, literally nothing left to do on my side anymore. As mentioned all the hardware has changed, same issue.

Edit:
Can we please get more info on this asap or even replies?

I just tried using the inbuilt laptop screen and so far I’ve had no issues. I disconnected 3 times earlier in the day, once was even spectating with the PC I built.

I swapped to the laptop and played for a few hours so far with no issues.

I’ve been running a triple monitor setup, 2x 1080p in portrait on the side, 1x 3440x1440 in 21:9.

They didn’t even care to reply, smh. I have been having this issue since month or so and now I am at -75% for 13 games. I haven’t seen anybody actually post that one of the solutions posted in the sticky thread actually worked for them in multiple threads. Great work, Blizzard. Blame it on the users and their systems when all kinds of different h/w and s/w combinations are producing that same bug.

Delete the spaces of the link below

https:// eu.forums.blizzard. com/en/overwatch/t/possible-fix-for-rendering-device-lost/18234

1 Like