Your rendering device has been lost

Okay so the past month i literally lost 500 SR because this random error pops up. It only happens in overwatch doesn’t happen anywhere else.

I did a search on these forums but all the related topics mention AMD setup and fixes for those.

So im running a 8700k@5.1Ghz with a 1060 6GB, 32DDR4 @3000Mhz, so nothing in my system is made of AMD, what can i do to fix this?

And before someone comes and copy-pastes the usual answer to do a DDU clean-sweep and reinstall driver. Done that several times.

3 Likes

Hello Curtis,

This specific error can be caused by several different reasons. I’d recommend starting with this sticky thread:

Make sure you follow all the steps in that thread.

Got feedback about the support I’m providing? Leave your comments here!

i have did everything in that thread already and my problems are not resolved. Any other suggestion?

Hello Curtis,

Please create a DxDiag and a MSInfo file, upload them to Pastebin (or to another similar website of your choice) and add the link to the page hosting both files to your reply. If you can’t add links, just highlight then and use the </> option available on the upper left side of the reply window.

Note: if by any chance you have Razer Chroma/Synapse installed, please try uninstalling it. Additionally, check your in-game Render Scale option (Options > Advanced) and try lowering it to 100% if the value selected is higher.

Feedback? Clicca qui! Blizzard EU - Sondaggio per i rappresentanti dell’Assistenza Clienti del forum - Vyraneer Survey

MSINFO pastebin . com/83um0QiK
DxDiag pastebin . com/fM4fWdMS

Had to make it funky like that cos it didn’t let me post links here for reasons… space before period and after period.

You can use the method I suggested in my previous reply, it’s a bit easier than adding spaces to a link. :slight_smile:

This said though, could you please disconnect the TV and the second monitor and see if the error persists?
I would also recommend trying to remove VMware as it can cause stability issues. The same goes for other apps you have running in background, for example Discord, Corsair Utility Engine - everything that your system doesn’t need to function properly.

Please make also sure Game DVR is disabled. :slight_smile:

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Also see the NA post;

Others already reported that dual or single screen doesnt’ matter. I can confirm I’m not using VMware or Discord or Corsair.

Hey Raven,

As Drakuloth wrote, there are a number of possible fixes for the Rendering Device Lost, error message, but nothing is one size fix all. A troubleshooting step might work for some users but might not for others - that’s why it’s important to go through all of them and try and rule out the cause of the issue. :slight_smile:

As you are already following the thread in the US forum, please make sure you post the information that was requested there - don’t forget to go through the basic steps suggested so far though, many players resolved the issue just by following those.

Feedback? Click here! Blizzard EU - Customer Service Forum Representatives Surveys - Vyraneer

Why should I fix this issue from my computer ? obviously a lot of people have been having this issue (there is 26 pages in this post from the old forums relating to this issue) and there are always more posts coming up, so is it not better just to fix the problem from the game itself rather than every single user fixes it on his own ?? i don’t want you to give me links to change settings or do stuff with my GPU to fix the problem only on my pc, I just need to know if issue currently being resolved.

I have an Nvidia GPU and no other game crashes on my computer only Overwatch does. so is the issue currently being resolved ?

2 Likes

Karyum, please check the thread previously linked, it can help you to better understand what this error is and what can cause it.
For instance, I’ve seen a lot of cases where it was caused by GPU drivers. Driver updates are users’ responsibility though, I can’t do that for you. The same goes for many cases we’ve seen where this issue was caused by a software conflict on user’s machine.

If you want to try and resolve this issue, you can already find quite a lot information in this very thread (even more in the one that was linked above).

Best regards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you also read the previous links and comments you see that 99% of the suggestions won’t solve it. It will make it perhaps less and I’m not ruling out that it’s a driver issue but the thing is that it only happens in Overwatch.

I filed a bugreport to nvidia but unfortunately no response as of yet (not that i’m expecting this). Since this issue mostly occurs with overwatch players are addressing it here. What I want to know are the Overwatch developers aware of this issue? And are they able to resolve it or address it to nvidia if it’s a driver problem. I know you are doing your work but I also know that the first hurdle to convince the support agent that it is a serious issue.

And DonJuone, I wonder what your intention is in this. As far as I can see you don’t have this issue. But you are clearly pointing the finger to us players who are affected that it is our problem. If you don’t have this issue and you don’t have anything useful to say then it would be best to stay out of the discussion instead of de- ailing the topic every time and blaming it is our problem. You’re activing pretty much like Blizzards advocate atm. You are ramdomly giving tips like underclocking gpu’s or replace a PSU…common dude, really???

i was thinking the exactly the same thing, there was no reason for him to do that

But DonJuno i’ll explain what i mean and make it more simple ok ?
so if 1 user has this issue then the problem is most probably in his computer.
if 10 users then ok maybe it’s their computer.
but when that number grows bigger and bigger you have to think to yourself, "wow something is wrong here, how come a lot of people are having the same issue as me ? " (just to remind you this is the “your rendering device has been lost” crash)

so this can’t be a problem with my computer especially when i have a massive amount of other games on it and they run with no issues (or crashes specifically).
are we clear now ? or are you just going to release your anger on me in the next reply?

To my best knowledge, there are no known issues/bugs with the game that cause this issue, Raven. It doesn’t mean we’re unaware that some systems encounter/ have encountered it, as you can see from blue replies on various threads - Drakuloth’s posts have a lot of information on the matter. You can easily go from one blue post to another just by clicking on the blue Blizz logo in the upper right corner of the blue reply window. :slight_smile:

Keep also in mind that “Rendering Device Lost” is just a unique error message you see for Overwatch when you experience a Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) error.

A general note for everyone reading

Guys, please be nice to each other and don’t hijack a thread another user created to ask for help just to point out that X or Y didn’t work for someone so it must be a game’s issue.

If you need help, just follow the advice provided so far and eventually open your own thread, list all troubleshooting steps already tried and provide as much information as possible about your system (DxDiag and MSInfo files, GPU and CPU temperatures…).
Remember that what worked for one player might not work for someone else - it doesn’t necessarily means a troubleshooting step is 100% useless though!

If you don’t want any help and you’d rather just report an issue and wait hoping it gets fixed somehow, that’s your choice and I respect it as such - just don’t hijack other players’ threads and don’t put down potential resolutions. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Disconnected the other 2 screens only kept the main screen the PG258Q @ 1920x1080 @ 240Hz

Vmware althought is installed is not running while im playing.

I do have CUE and discord running but neither is using overlays or anything GPU related. Discord i cant live without cos all my friends are literally there and we use that to communicate. CUE even more so cannot be closed. CUE controls the following on my computer: Mouse, Keyboard, Headset, Watercooling, Lightning. U can’t possibly ask me to close something that control 90% of my PCs functionality for a sake of a game.

And the crashes still remain.

EDIT: This PC was literally unaltered since february and the crashes started in November. Never did it happen before.

hard to believe this is the same person who wrote the first reply lol, that was a much nicer and more professional reply GJ

DonJuono, as you might notice a “ninja-edit” on your post, I slightly edited it to adjust the link provided. It was redirecting to the generic forum page (this one) even if the thread you linked was correct.
It seems to happen when a link to the old forum is posted without any adjustments, such as italic or bold font (or other HTML ‘embellishments’).

This said, thanks for the lengthy explanation…and for your feedback about the name of the error. :stuck_out_tongue:

okay update time yet again.

for testing purposes i tried everything that was suggested above by everyone. i even pulled another GPU out of my other PC problem still presists.

Do note: i have uninstalled VMWare tried without CUE and only on monitor. i tried literally everything in this thread and the other one linked.

As for someone asking me about the PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2, 80+ GOLD 1000W. That it is. And nothing is older in this computer than 11 months, thats when i built it.

Curtis, could you please post a fresh MSInfo with all unnecessary background apps closed? You can highlight the link and use the </> button instead of adding extra spaces to it.
If the final category of your MSIno (Windows Error Reports) is too big to be included with the main link, please upload it separately. I’m asking this because your previous file stops at Services.

Note: I’m also assuming you did remove the overlock (your CPU was running pretty high). If you didn’t, please, do. It’s a very important step.

Please check also in-game Rendering Scale - lower it to 100% if the value selected is higher.
I’m not sure if you already did this step but as I don’t see it being mentioned in this thread: make sure the fullscreen optimization for Overwatch:

1. Go to overwatch.exe
  2. Right click and select Properties and Compatibility
  3. Check "Disable fullscreen optimization"

Just out of curiosity: did you see if the issue occurs on the other PC as well?

Hey i did the full screen optimization thing yes and render scale is at 100%. Additionally i dont think its the overclock as i said no settings were changed since february and the problems started happening in november. Also a 4.8ghz overclock on a 8700k is pretty low to what it can be pushed to. i will try without the clock but i highly doubt its a stability issue. I will do the testing and post the new stuff tomorrow.

I also have had this issue for about two weeks now and its so incredibly frustrating. I have attempted to tweak settings that are suggested as these troubleshooting solutions to no avail. I just underclocked my GPU. I have noticed that the rendering device crashes more often/solely when I play competitive. I fix a few things and load the .exe and what do you know, I am banned for leaving so many comp matches BECAUSE OF THE CRASHES, go knows I have already lost 500 SR to this issue, now I am banned and cant even attempt to test new settings. This is ridiculous. How long do bans last for, because I do not even have a time limit? Blizzard, please un-ban me so I can atleast attempt to fix this issue. All my drivers are updated, all scans have been completed. Discord, and all other possible (and applicable) background programs are discontinued. I am not sure of what else I can do…?