Suggestion: hallucinated probes can mine

Hi,

Here is the idea: give to hallucinated probes from the sentries the ability to mine. However, they wouldn’t gather any real mineral/gas to the Nexus: only the animation would be real. Moreover, they would collide with normal probes as if they were real when mining. TLDR: hallucinated probes are normal probes but mine 0 mineral (i.e.this should be an easy implementation built on existing tech).

Why is it cool?

Because hallucinations are an amazing idea but some of their variantes are never used. My suggestion would allow to a protoss player to fake the fact that he is fully mining his natural base for example while in reality, he is going for an aggressive play.

What are your thought about this? If you like the idea or have suggestions, please react to give more exposure to this post and have the devs read it.

Sounds cool in theory, but it won’t work as effectively as you might think for several reasons.
First, you may fake your probes on natural, but the nexus must be built for real regardless. Spending 400 minerals on it won’t help for an aggressive gameplay, if it’s supposed to be a 1-base all-in, where every mineral matters.
Second, creating many probe illusions will require many sentries — and that also doesn’t help with an early attack, where the most of your resources go to more combat units (stalkers, zealots, you name it).

If you really want to trick your opponent into thinking you’re expanding and not expecting an early attack — just place a nexus, let him see it, then cancel it and go. This is much easier to execute and that way you lose only 100 minerals, which is not that much of a deal (compared to your method).

1 Like