18th February 2005 - 4th March 2019 (Feedback)

So, my game time will expire on the 4th of March - I have no intention of adding more…

First of all, I know “nobody cares”; this post is not for you lot, it’s feedback for Blizzard. I’m not looking for anyone to agree with me. I’m not looking for a discussion (I won’t be coming back here after this post) - these are my opinions and feelings about things.

Yes, I know Blizz don’t read these forums and that they don’t care either, but on the off chance we’re wrong about that, I’d rather leave something here - since there is nowhere else to leave feedback these days.

No, you can’t have my stuff.

So anyway, recently I’ve found myself logging into the game less and less, and when I do log in, I sit and wonder why I’ve logged in at all, and what I could do that would be fun for me. Today I’ve come to the conclusion that ‘that time’ has come.

There’s not a singular thing that’s pushed me over the edge, it’s more death by a thousand cuts, summed up as: for me, the game is simply not fun anymore - it’s tedious, it’s boring and it’s pointless.

Some of the things I don’t like (there’s probably twice as many more):

• I don’t like the continual erosion of the RPG elements of the game in the name of convenience.
  • I don’t like the multiple layers of RNG - obviously there needs to be some RNG, but not RNG layered upon RNG (Obvious example being: Does the item drop? Is it WF/TF? Has socket? Has tertiary?).
  • I don’t like the fact there is no meaningful progression. Why can one outgear a raid without ever having stepped inside of said raid? (I don’t mean by doing alternative end-game - M+ or PvP. I mean by doing ‘nothing content’ - WQs etc)
  • I don’t like the constant gear resets and catchup systems, leading to “play the patch” rather than playing the game or expansion as a whole. I think some level of catchup is ok, but not to the extent we have today.
  • I don’t like that Blizzard constantly try to achieve perfect balance for all “choices” making choice irrelevant.
  • I don’t like that it’s too easy to change any ‘choices’ made (talents being a main one), making (true) choice irrelevant.
  • I don’t like the ‘hand holding’ that tries to make mistakes impossible. Let people make mistakes. Let people make sub-optimal choices. Humans learn by making mistakes, not by being insulated from ever being able to make mistakes.

Probably more than any of those things, I don’t like the attitudes and such at Activision-Blizzard and I don’t like the way that over the years the culture at Blizzard has changed. I know change is inevitable, and that’s fine. But I still think four legs are good, and you guys at Blizzard now think two are best - good luck with that :slight_smile:

If the next expansion proves itself to be a major improvement in multiple areas, there’s a good chance I’ll give it a look. But that would be a decision based on a lot of post-release feedback.

Thanks for the fun times, maybe one day, I’ll see some more.

19 Likes

so that’s a definite no on the stuff then?

1 Like

Enjoy your time playing other games and maybe see you back in the future :slight_smile:

Annoying isn’t it, I had a character on Draenor who I am being too cheap to transfer back to Azsune who could use the gold…

1 Like

I actually agree with all your points ^^;

Gear resets strikes home particularly. It leads to impermanence of achievement; work as hard as you like for 4 months, but at the end of it you’ll be right back on the same level as all the people who play 10 mins/day. I’m of the old-school mindset that thinks you should have to be geared from T4 in order to be ready for T5. And yes, my shaman+druid have gear from both and I know what it’s like.

For now, I’m enjoying levelling an alt. Hopefully I’ll have 2-3 at 120 before I fizzle and quit for a year. Maybe next expansion one of them will even be FotM and give me a good starting point. Or maybe the 8.3 gear reset will be enough opportunity to jump in :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I sympathise… all my alts are alliance on a different server, but this was my raiding main and I would like it to be part of my team again :frowning:

(The irony is, since January I’ve left more in tips for the bar staff than it would have cost to just get on and transfer. I should bite the bullet, admit it will make me happier and get it done.)

1 Like

Oooor you coukd continiue to make that staff of the bar happy. :thinking:

I mean, they do give me free soda-based pacers now…

Even more of a reason to support em :wink:

Whelp, thanks for encouraging my crippling alcoholism x)

I usually don’t bother to reply to threads like these, but I really liked your post and the way it was written.

You did the right thing. I also respect the reflected way you stated your reasons for deciding the game is no longer for you, instead of going full nerdrage. I may not agree with everything, but that’s right down to personal opinion and nothing else.

The fact that you’ve been playing the same game for so long also probably has its impact. You’ve most likely changed alot during those years.

Take a long break, play something else for a while. It’s nothing but healthy for your sanity. Wish you the best :slight_smile:

2005, oh you’re a vanilla player. Thanks for telling us. We always need to know that.

1 Like

I don’t want your stuff, only your gold.

1 Like

I’ll take it… and vendor it for gold!

Exactly, just said this to my orginal guild aswell. Reason I won’t join them on alts nights or gear runs is because it’s useless. The gear that drops in a normal BoD for which they want me for is worse than 385s I get from WQ, worse than than 400s I get from warfronts and Ivus. I don’t feel any push to get my alts into alt raiding anymore if I want them geared, not even normal (old flex) since AFK activies give me better stated gear anyhow despite how easy normal is. And going for that 1 trinket or that 1 azerite piece, eh. Screw it. All ‘mains’* except my raider main I feel no pressure to do content nor perform, Blizzard will throw a 400 Il catch-up soon in the game anyhow.

*Main-main (1st char and will always be the official one) and old raiding mains

2 Likes

100x this for me.
I mean, what’s the point of even playing if you can just log in one day and be on par with those who did spend all this time playing? There is no reward for playing at all, there is no fun. Just chore…

I dunno, my sub ran out yesterday and am not renewing it till 8.2.
8.1.5 is not “good enough” to justify the sub-price, and unless they’ll turn the tides I won’t be coming back till next xpac, or end of this xpac where everything be finally unlocked and worthless timegate will no longer be issue.

1 Like

congratulations : - ) hopefully this game is dead in 2 years

1 Like

We need more horde to quit so it’s a good thing. enjoy rl

In theory I agree but in reality it’s a bad idea.

If we taking raiding as an example. If they didn’t have catch up mechanisms then recruiting new raiders becomes a problem. Are you going to run them all through older content to get them up to scratch; delaying your progress on the current raid.

The way they’ve done catch up they make LFR, Normal and to a certain extent heroic redundant. I’ve not touched a mythic+ dungeon or a proper raid (normal+) but I’m geared beyond those raids just with world rewards.

No, why would you?
Remember days when there was no “current” tier but just tiers?
Gear was tad stronger in one aspect but not really in other? Where ilvl was spread by 30 through whole expansion? yeah… I do from private servers.

Current gearing is simply Diablo III style where player is showered with meaningless loot that’s replaced around next corner. Progressing have no point entirely unless it’s last tier of a current expansion - but even then there will be soon new xpac.

I miss times where expansions expanded the game, and not replaced it completly locking us to “new” isolated/instanced zones and outside doesn’t exist. I miss “World” in world of warcraft.