Rearranging and Removing Portals

As we read most everything posted here (and elsewhere) about next week’s content update, we can’t help but be impacted by the subject of transportation portal removal. It’s a subject that’s approaching 5000 replies in one thread alone, and the question raised there, repeatedly, has been, “why?” Here’s the answer to that question.

From the beginnings of World of Warcraft, game designers have had a number of guiding principles. Sometimes these notions change quickly, and sometimes they evolve slowly, but a few guiding principles have remained more or less the same throughout WoW’s history. One such lodestar has been “don’t overuse portals between locations in the world”. Too many eliminations of the distances between places can diminish a sense of the world having a meaningful size.

Of course there’s an equal and opposite design consideration—“don’t make it too inconvenient to get from most places to most other places”. Some amount of convenience is vital. Not every visit to a wondrous landscape is your first. We know when it’s your 100th visit, you don’t want the flight over to be the bulk of your time spent. And of course, some players have chosen to play as Warlocks or Mages specifically because those classes offer unique means of transport.

With new expansions, we’ve made a tradition of removing some of the portals from the previous expansion’s cities. The goal with that is to encourage transportation flow through newer places where players are more likely to interact with other players. We neglected to do that initially following Legion (and we never did that following Mists of Pandaria for various reasons), but we feel that we should have. We’re correcting that now.

Boralus and Dazar’alor will continue to offer portals to a full range of capital cities, as well as to Silithus. The portals to Cataclysm zones will remain intact, and many other modes of transportation, such as Dalaran Signet Rings, Karazhan’s ring, the Timeless Isle trinket, Coordination Cloaks, and boats and zeppelins between many regions, will all be retained and functional.

However, we’ve seen how updates to the game can leave the means of accessing different areas feeling increasingly chaotic. For example— today if you go to the Cleft of Shadows in Orgrimmar, you’ll find it dotted with portals in a way that almost looks sporadic. We’re cleaning that up, and we see this as an opportunity to consolidate a lot of travel into a consistent venue with a consistent look and feel, and room for future growth when needed.

We’ve processed a lot of feedback on this, especially feedback about specific locations that feel like they’re going to become disproportionately inconvenient to reach, and we’ve followed that feedback through to the conclusion that you’re seeing on the PTR. We believe that the numerous remaining means of quick access in the game make most locations quite reachable.

If there are any specific locations that feel as though they’re about to become unreasonably inaccessible, we’re certainly open to adding additional means of travel in the future.

10 Likes

The northern areas of Eastern Kingdoms can be a pain for Alliance.
If you want to get to Strathholme and aren’t a Paladin, you have to take a long fight from IF.

We could use Dalaran Crater portal before, but now it is just going to be another long alt-tab flight.

52 Likes

I was really hoping for a “Oh btw, here’s the caverns of time portal back” and all I got was the same “Meaningful world” BS that was parroted on the NA forums.

This translates to: We’ll think about it in 6 months, what’s done is done good night good luck.

Here’s your feedback: CAVERNS OF TIME PORTAL PLEASE.

30 Likes

The trouble with your “guiding principles” is they seem to change depending on the day of the week.
Expansion 1 “Hey guys we’re removing buffs!”
Expansion 2 “Hey guys, we added buffs in for certain classes!”
I’m sure theres tons more examples but its late. Suffice to say, I’ve seen more consistency from a magic 8 ball.

Heres a thought to ponder. People won’t miss what they never had but they’ll kick up a hell of a fuss when you give them something and then take it away. You need to think 10 years ahead with these decisions. You currently don’t.

50 Likes

Blizzspeak decoded: We don’t care about what you want, you’ll do it our way.

And the world not feeling big enough… sorry but do you guys even play the game? I still do old content and there is plenty travel time involved… Maybe utilize this bigger world better. As in: don’t abandon it and put more/newer content in it.

24 Likes

Just naming two that on top of my head pop up instantly:

• Northern Eastern Kingdoms for Alliance (specially during hollidays which have daily quests in there)
  • Caverns of Time, which has a lot of instances in there that people farm for mounts/pets/mogs and had portals there since it was included in the game in The Burning Crusade

Why don’t you just relocate the bottom portals from Legion Dalaran into the portal rooms?

19 Likes

Translation: we don’t care about your feedback and will do it our way to screw you all.

40 Likes

It’s a shame you do not understand your own game anymore. Nor your own community. Maybe those support personnel shouldn’t had to be “let go” in January.

On the topic of “the world having a meaningful size”.

Consider you’re in the hospital, and the doctor comes in.

Doctor: Sorry, we have to remove your leg.
You: But, why? They feel totally fine now. Do you want to cut it off for medical reasons?
Doctor: No, no! There are no problems with them. They are totally fine, but we’ll still remove them. It’s trendy nowadays.
You: But. but, but? Really? I’m totally fine having them on. Without them i cannot walk/run/drive.
Doctor: Wheelchairs!!! Crutches!!! They are nice. Slower pace than walking or running or driving, but consider the benefits! You can enjoy the trip from home to work and vice-versa. Nice vistas, whatever.
You: But i live in the city, nothing nice there. Neither my home nor my workplace are wheelchair friendly. We have no elevators in the house i live in, and i live on the 4th floor.
Doctor:
Doctor: Well! We’ll still cut them off anyways.
You:
You: Which leg? Left or right?
Doctor: Both!
You: Really?!?

33 Likes

this is clear indication people involved with this dont play the game enoutgh or at all. ever since TBC you have pushed us from one hub to another. the new portal room this isn’t going to encourage people to go to new places on their way to their target and thus interact more. people dont hang out in the mage tower or cleft of shadow. they hang out by the AH/banks.

I agree. the portal rooms look nice. it is a nice addition and nice and tidy to move things all together cause some people dont remember where certain portals are, especially if they swap factions every now and then. but there was no reason to remove anything currently in game. you say they have been created for future growth, which means they have space in them now. so why could the 3 portals that are being removed not have been added? they all didn’t need all the excess space of casters casting on them. remove the npcs, and there would be more space for your growth. (i presume its only 3 being removed currently). again the art team do really well, and the people who control the direction of the game mess it up.

no you’ve not. this is basically an elongated copy and paste of the NA post. i dont mean to have a go at you. i think players need to realize, especially atm with all the s**tshows going on in the game atm, you guys are just mouth pieces repeating what you have been told to say. you are not allowed to deviate from the message you have been given.

well the message to the people telling you to say this, is you guys are out of touch, and you’re burning your own bridges one by one.

oh, and one more thing. interesting time posting this at about 2am/3am for most EU players. :expressionless:

20 Likes

I can absolutely see the northern parts of Eastern Kingdoms being a problem for Alliance unless you’re a paladin or done the MoP Challenge mode dungeons.

However, for those speaking of Caverns of Time: You can still go to Orgrimmar/Stormwind > Uldum > Tanaris which is right next to that.

2 Likes

I really thought that the Portal Room’s function was to consolidate the mess of portals, not to remove some apparently popular portals altogether. I believe that this is what players were cheering on. Had players known you planned to actually decrease the overall amount of portals in the game, I am sure the tune would have been sung very differently in player feedback.

Regardless of what your opinion is on portals, you as a company have to admit that you did a very poor job communicating these changes to players. You sold them off on this marvelous idea of consolidating portals to a grand portal room, but hid away the very important details. Either that, or you were just negligent.

Now it is far too late to fix this problem without waiting for another content patch, because now that players know the details, it will take weeks if not months to wade through the thousands of posts of feedback flooding your way to help find a consensus or a solution.

65 Likes

This is disappointing to hear. Is this just one of those “it’s too late in the PTR cycle for us to change it now” situations, or is it genuinely the belief of the dev team that the benefits to removing so many portals outweigh the downsides? It seems as if you understand what the problem is, which makes it even more baffling as to why you’d go ahead with making the game more cumbersome to play for the people who have long since grown weary of taking the scenic route.

This exactly summarises the problem. I think everyone, devs included, agree that players should be able to experience the world more organically the first time around, but after a few dozen trips it greatly improves the gameplay to streamline travel. Why diminish that? That’s the problem people have with the portal changes in 8.1.5 – it’s not that the game is being broken or certain areas are becoming intolerably difficult to reach, it’s just the sheer pointlessness of making the game innately less playable for people who gain nothing from the upsides of removing portals.

You’ve answered the “why”, but I’m still left thinking “I don’t understand”. I just cannot see how the upsides outweigh the disadvantages. If the devs are truly passionate in their belief that fast travel diminishes the world’s sense of size and scope, then I believe there’s a far healthier middle ground to be reached than simply removing useful features from the game without compensating for them. The obvious solution is to take a pathfinder-esque approach, where players could unlock new portals via exploration and quest lines. Until such time as a healthier solution can be found, I believe the portal situation should stay as it is in 8.1.

I understand there’s a disconnect between the devs and the players on this one, but please don’t repeat the mistakes of WoD by removing travel options that people love and leaving them high and dry for months while you hurry to work on a solution that hits a middle ground. Get the solution figured out first, then remove the old portals when you can offer players a new and improved alternative. That way it will feel like a natural shift in the game’s evolution rather than a kick in the teeth that takes away something good without providing a reasonable alternative.

There’s a good way to tidy up the portal situation, and a bad way. Currently you’re headed for a bad way that will only leave players with a bitter taste in their mouths. I think the amount of feedback so far should illustrate how you stand to lose more than you gain by pushing ahead with the current changes slated for 8.1.5.

18 Likes

I have to categorically disagree with your “guiding principles” on this matter. You are forcing us to fly through unsupported old zones for no purpose other than to waste time and pretend it’s to look at the scenery which last changed just over 8 years ago.

If you wish for us to travel the world you should design it with making us WANT to fly instead. I’m pretty on the fence about the flying restrictions in new expansions but I like that when I’m travelling there I can find a herb or help someone. Flying from Ironforge or Twilight Highlands from Stormwind to get to the northern parts of Eastern Kingdoms as Alliance is horrendous and not engaging gameplay in the slightest as one example.

I can only recommend and hope that you are able to see this short sightedness and find at least some form of middle ground with the feedback from both EU/NA forums. There needs to be at least a Dalaran Crater, Shattrath City, Shrine of the Seven Stars/Two Moons and Caverns of Time. I think we can survive without the rest that have been pruned.

20 Likes

Ingenious way to increase /played time, after all, they’ve got to get those ‘player engagement’ stats up for Activisions shareholder conference calls…

P.s. For the love of N’zoth don’t remove the Wyrmrest Accord portal, ppl NEED that one for the Chromie Scenario

12 Likes

From Ironforge to Northpass Tower in the Eastern Plaguelands (Closest FP to Strath mount entrance) it would take you almost 7 minutes on a flight.

From Dalaran crater to Northpass, it would take you a little over 3 minutes by flying.

The difference is night and day, you cannot say that it is alright, because taking magic portals to places in a fantasy game doesn’t ruin my immersion. Alt-tabbing out of a 7 minute flight does.

This isn’t really a problem for the Horde as they have a portal to ruins of Undercity.

My recommendations would be one of two portals.
Dalaran crater’s portal placed into the portal room.
Or a portal to Gilneas in the portal room.

All over portals/areas can be accessed in reasonable time, despite how annoying it may be.

CoT - Uldum > Fly > Tanaris > CoT
Shat - Already portal
Drag Blight - Old Dal > Fly > Drag Blight
Kara - SW > Fly > Deadwind.

But Dalaran Crater isn’t like them, there is little to nothing close for the Alliance.

4 Likes

But it’s not fun removing portals that are convenient to have. It’s tedious to get to one place to another if you have 20 locations to go to daily.

Why does it always feel like it is the devs vs. the playerbase? We care for something and you ruin it for x logical reason. Ever stopped to think that this makes the game more of a chore rather than a fun game?

7 Likes

I don’t like this change - I’ve already said why in another thread, so I’m not going to repeat myself here. Besides, it appears you have a fairly strong stance on the topic and this change is here to stay, at least for now. Bummer.

I really don’t understand why you’re doing these changes that no one is asking for. If people are having fun, just let them - don’t change things just for the sake of doing it, achieving a more elegant design or increasing /played metrics.

The best design that results in people wanting to play your game is the one where people simply have fun. And if you as designers think it’s messy? Don’t overthink it - if it works, it works. After all - I think that making people enjoy your game should be your #1 “guiding principle”.

And changes like this one make me feel like it isn’t.

5 Likes

This is a pretty shallow attempt at increasing game time played. Multiple decisions (such as the RNG fest that is Island Expeditions) have clearly shown your consideration for customer opinion.

You asked for feedback on portals and when it wasn’t what you wanted, you ignored it.

Portals have level limits so some (such as the cavern of time) are useable by characters which can not use the ones that remain (such as the nearby Uldum portal instead of CoT).

Also the Ancient Dalaran portal was a necessity for Alliance when doing the Love is In the Air or Winterveil quests. The time to get there isn’t worth it.

Look on the brightside, you’ll be able to save on hardware when more people leave as the game becomes more about time taken to get to what you want to do than actually doing it.

7 Likes

Hello everyone. We saw your 5k posts feedback about caverns of time, vale and dalaran crater portals wich are realy needed to save loads of time on farming mounts and doing world events, specialy for alliance but we still want more feedback coz we have no clue why would you want those portals back.

No one can be this stupid. They just don’t care what we say or think. I hope this game finnaly dies from all bad decisions they keep making even tho people spam them to not do it.

11 Likes

Bear in mind that characters that can currently use the CoT portal don’t need to be as high a level as the Uldum portal level limit. Those characters will now need to get to either Ratchet or Theramore to fly down.

1 Like