Classic PvP Content Plan

Since we broke down the six phases of content that we’ll be rolling out for Classic, we’ve heard the increase in requests for PvP details so we wanted to get you up to speed on our plans there.

As was the case when World of Warcraft originally launched in 2004, there won’t be a formal PvP system in WoW Classic at the outset. You’ll still be able to PvP, of course, and there will be no Dishonorable Kills, so you’ll be free to repeatedly hunt down every player and NPC in, say, Stranglethorn Vale to your stealthy heart’s content.

That’ll change once phase 2 rolls around and we add the Honor System, which will introduce Honorable Kills, Dishonorable Kills, and PvP Rank Rewards. The items you earn from the PvP Rank Rewards will be the versions from patch 1.12. Keep in mind though, just as it did originally, it will require a substantial time investment to rank up through the Honor System. For those interested in the Rank Rewards, earning epic gear will require consistent dedication over a long period of time as a top contributor on your realm. We don’t expect to see many people running around with these items early on, but we’re certain Hillsbrad Foothills will still see its fair share of action!

In the third phase, we’ll introduce the first Battlegrounds: Alterac Valley (version 1.12) and Warsong Gulch, alongside with their associated vendors. One thing to note is that there were a couple of updates to these vendors over the course of the original patch releases, so some items won’t be available right away. For example, the Spell Penetration trinkets available from the Warsong Gulch vendor weren’t introduced until Patch 1.9, so we’re currently thinking that we’ll add these in phase 5.

The Arathi Basin Battleground will follow in phase 4, along with its specific vendor. It’ll be interesting to see how many people stay behind to guard the flag. :wink:

Finally, in phase 6, we’ll have the world PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands, which will come out at the same time as Naxxramas.

Here’s what the PvP content looks like mapped to the phases we recently posted about:

Phase 1 (WoW Classic Launch)

You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.

Phase 2

Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)

PvP Rank Rewards

Phase 3

Alterac Valley (version 1.12)

Warsong Gulch

Phase 4

Arathi Basin

Phase 6

World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

As we mentioned before, we haven’t yet determined exactly when each of the content phases will occur but we’ll keep you updated as they draw closer.

We’re here reading what you have to say, so we wanted to thank all of you for your feedback and discussions about Classic. Keep it going!

57 Likes

This is great news overall, though 1.12 PvP gear is significantly more powerful than the 1.4 versions, if phase 2 lasts about 2-3 months only a handful of people will reach rank 12 or 13 so BWL gear will still be very lucrative even for dedicated rankers.

Since rank 14 isn’t mathematically possible to reach during that time frame, people won’t be running BWL from the start with rank 14 weapons, which for some specs are way better than anything you can get in BWL.

TLDR: It would be better to have progressive itemization so the gear isn’t so powerful

10 Likes

Although not a fan of AV being the 1.12 version (i’d Rather the 1.8 version) I’m liking this roll-out. Certainly I’m hoping to get to rank 11 this time (only made it to 8 before the system ended).

9 Likes

Supah!!!:grin:
Thanks for the update!

3 Likes

Thank you BLIZZARD!

2 Likes

Yeah looks good.
The 1.12 AV is still a mild disappointment but it seems they really don’t intend to do anything about that.

7 Likes

More than pleased with the updates. Still slightly disappointed with the AV 1.12 plan though.

4 Likes

Despite 1.12 AV is wat i did not hoped for - i do appreciate that you guys are listening to the classic community and trying too make it as it once back in days.

I personaly hope some of the the pvp gear should be timegated cause giving it out too early may be too strong and most likely will better than the upcoming raids.

Thank you for the update tho, excited for classic. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I like the ranking without bgs, gonna make for some epic wpvp battles, wouldve been nicer tho with it being added in phase 1, people gonna suffer without their pvp trinkets until dm launch? not very nice… also youre adding 1.12 pvp items right away, this means if ur bracket 1 every week until bwl launch you might get r14 before it (depending how many months ofc)… 1.12 r14 weapons are like AQ40 power level so they will be very overpowered… so yeah i really like the addition on bgs later on for incentive to wpvp instead of mindless bg ranking but no pvp trinkets until dm and op rewards early on not very good

4 Likes

Awesome! Now if only we could have an older version of AV…
literally running out of complaints lol good job blizzard

4 Likes

RIP City Raids, 1 guy accidentally kills npc’s and everyone in the raid loses weeks of progress.

You really need to remove the shared DHK’s.

4 Likes

My hype cannot take this anymore. Please release the game! An announcement of the release date might be enough to contain my hype for a bit longer, but please release soon! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

AV 1.12 was total crap, so please continue the idiotic decisions.

6 Likes

Even though it’ll most likely never interfere with the gear progression, I’m still a bit conflicted about letting players roll out with 1.12 gear at phase 2. I mean, the weapons are the most obvious power spike (on paar with naxx gear), but also the armor pieces are something to look out for. Dedicated players will have the armor pieces, and the most dedicated will be running around with BIS weapons till the end of Classic. I hope I’m just overreacting. Otherwise, it’s looking good! And also, still a bit salty about 1.12 AV :confused:

10 Likes

Cool very nice!
EDIT: Might as well add my opinion in the pile too i want older version of AV too!

2 Likes

Please reconsider using earlier AV version as the 1.12 version is not in the spirit of vanilla.

Hope to hear a release date soon! (Also how you will handle sharding, make sure you keep that very very limited and never ever use it again after launch.)

16 Likes

Hahahahaha

4 Likes

1.12 rewards from the get go is questionable. It doesn’t match events as they happened in the original and it will have consequences for the more dedicated players.

Other than that this looks fine. Better than I would have guessed.

16 Likes

This is really great news I am liking the staggered roll out plan. The main problem that I have though is the fact that the pvp rewards will be in their final 1.12 state. This gear is simply too strong to be released so early in Classic’s lifecycle. You should have the rewards be as they were before they got buffed and then update them to 1.12 status in stage 5.

11 Likes

I’m so frikkin excited! :smiley: but I am genuinely bummed about AV. With the AV you’re wanting to use, does it mean we won’t;

1. Be able to summon the ancients (this was awesome)

2. No npc patrols or flag guards (made it more challenging for stealthers to quick cap and stopped players completely steamrolling through the bg)

Also are there going to be reinforcements? Or were reinforcements not part of vanilla at all? As a side note, I like reinforcements. The mechanic encourages players to capture mines and play either more aggressively or passively. Generally more tactical decisions throughout the BG.

4 Likes