8.1 Improvements

Hello,

From what i have read in 8.1 there will be improvements in the usage of the CPU from 1 core to multi core.
It seems that will only apply to DX 12, so people with Windows 10.

My question is, wont there be any benefit at all for users with DX 11, even if a reduced one?

Im not a tech expert, so dont pay much attention if my question makes no sense.

Cheers

1 Like

I don’t imagine Blizzard are going to allocate many resources to improve the performance on older graphics APIs. DirectX 12 and Metal are the graphics APIs of the future so that’s where all the resources should be spent to improve performance.

Most of the big engine changes happen at the launch of an expansion pack, the pre-patch for one anyway, so by the time we hit 9.0, Windows 7 will be End-of-Life and unsupported. Not many people use Windows 8.1 and it would be pretty stupid to upgrade to W8.1 instead of W10 if you’re still on W7.

This does also require users to have hardware that supports DirectX 12 but there’s still 5+ years worth of hardware on the market which falls under that. By the time 9.0 hits, it’ll be 7+ years of hardware. I know the graphics card market isn’t great by now but both AMD and Intel should be releasing a range of new hardware in the next few years which should, in theory, increase competition and lower prices for everyone.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you running Windows 10 and what graphics card do you have?

at the moment i run:

Windows 7
Nvidia GTX 1060

Planning on moving to Windows 10 next year.

You’ll currently not be able to use DX12… and even DX11 might be a push; Win7 used DX9, iirc.

The GPU can use DX12, if the game/OS allow for it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.