8.2 battle pet breeds

What do you all do to figure out breeds for the new pets in 8.2?

I’m used to PetTracker showing breeds but it hasn’t been updated yet. I’ve caught all the wild pets in Mech/Naj, and a trio of Twilight Whelplings (hoping I’ll have at least one with a useful breed once I figure out what they are). Now wondering whether it will be worth leveling/level-stoning any of them without being able to see breeds…

I look at the moveset of each pet then decide if the breed I have caught is going to be worth training up based on the statline. For example a slow pet with flurry or dodge isn’t going to be great.
You can use Warcraft Pets as a guide for pet breeds at the start of new content releases as they show the breeds in battle info for each pet.

1 Like

I’ll add that in the last couple of patches, a thread has started on WCP where people discuss their preferred breed choices for the new pets. For example, from start of BfA:

https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17756

Blizzard don’t announce what breeds new pets can have. It usually takes a couple of weeks for people to find out the possibilities, and addons and tables to get updated, so I wouldn’t make final decisions until all the info is out/

1 Like

Rosco how do you figure out which breed it is you have caught, without leveling the pet up first? That is what I was wanting to know really.

And Grainne, thanks for the wcp tip, I’lll keep an eye out.

Might be best to wait a few weks until more infor becomes readily available then, ah well… there goes my excitement for the new pets! :tired_face: :slight_smile:

(… and I just found out I can’t make a second reply post so I edited my reply to Grainne into this one…)

Ah.

On the contrary, I find that not knowing what breeds are available improves the initial experience!

How do you know what breed a pet you’re facing is? Get the addon Battle Pet Breed ID https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/battle_pet_breedid

Even though the range of breeds is not yet known, the author has found the base stats, and so can show what breed you’re looking at.

Then I collect at least one of every species. As I do, I’m thinking: “Do you want Speed with that?”, looking at the movesets and thinking how they might be used. When I see a new battle with a new breed, I compare it to what I have and ask myself “Is this a better breed?” A couple of the breeds are pretty obviously keepers even without waiting for confirmation.

I will end up with two or three of everything, and more info about breeds will become available. THEN I can get down to deciding what to keep, what other breed I need to go back for. These are captured at 23 anyway, so there’s not much levelling to do with them.

If all breeds were already known, I’d make up my mind first and be disappointed every time I don’t get matched with a known-best breed.

2 Likes

That looks like it gives me exactly what I’m looking for!!! thank you again Grainne. I’ll be giving that addon a go for sure. :smiley:

I’d try updating your add ons because I didn’t have any issues identifying which breed I was facing. The issue I had was knowing the different breeds available to each pet.

1 Like

Yeah well as I said, PetTracker isn’t updated for 8.2 yet. Pet Battle BreedID, the addon Grainne recommended above, solved my problem. :wink:

1 Like

I probably use pet battle ID for breeds so was never limited by the same issues you had. Glad it’s fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.