8.2 Flying and beyond

I started play again about 4 months ago, after almost 10 years break, so i am a new player actually.
I wanted to have a max lvl char at first, so i could see all the expansions a bit so i did 1 zone in each expansion (by jsut flying to the quest, kill the guy/take the item and fly back), and didn’t even see any other zones, until i arrived into Draenor. That’s when i learned about the pathfinder achievement and flying was gated behind it.
I’m glad it exist because that’s the only reason i didn’t skip Draenor, stopped xp gain, did all the zones, most dungeons, completed most garrison stuff… etc. I didn’t even start Legion expansion before i got the pathfinder, not even the starting quest of Legion. Then i did the same for Legion and didn’t start BFA zones before finishing Argus.
Even though many things are inactive, and what i do there will be obsolete when i step in to next expanison after a week, it was fun to do all of it.
So you aren’t speaking on behalf of new players.

2 Likes

No, not amazing. Tiresome. I don’t want to do quests in old zones that have no form of useful reward. I don’t want the Legion transmogs, I already whizzed round and got the battlepets. I don’t have any intention of doing the rep grind for allied races.

When it comes to alts, I really do just want to get them to 120 with as little messing around as possible. Demanding I stay on the ground, or do the rep grind, is a barrier between me and efficiency, and as such I resent it.

Flying was removed to time-sump you. Not to encourage you to do every quest in the game.

Pathfinder was only introduced as a U-turn. They actually announced No Flying Ever Again, until they started losing so many subs they had to bring it back but in a begrudging way because they were b-hurt at the player led revolt.

You should be able to purchase flying the second you hit max level as was the case for over 8 years.

3 Likes

this. people either forget, or choose not to remember that blizz wanted to ground us permantly, and pathfinder was them being as spiteful as possible while stemming the loss of subs.

nope. disable flying while you have a WM enabled.

i do agree i think. i like GW2 very much even though i haven’t played it much since path of fire released, but thats ONLY cause i’ve put so much into my wow account and am addicted. otherwise, my only real concern with gw2 that ive faced is how farming mats is really hard. not only do you have to kill the mobs at “max” lvl whereever you are, you need TONS of mats to craft nearly anything, AND mobs drop mats with diminishing returns which i think is mental!

It is convenient, and if used properly, could open up flying only areas like in TBC and WotLK. i think most people want to boost alts to max level so they can farm stuff easier than on one toon? hence why they want to get there asap. i have 24 111+ alts, of which 10 are 120, but i would only ever consider my 2 rogues for anything beyond M0, cause rogue is the class i know the most and is best geared. (also, terrible my ally rogue is geared about 5ilvl better than this even though i’ve played it a fraction of the time, because of good rng on ally, and bad rng on horde!).

earlier versions of the game didn’t have this scenario we find ourselves in currently, which is why flying is wanted to just limit the pain of all the boring, but “necessary” stuff, like rep, wq and azerite grinds.

besides, most zones look nicer from the air with settings on ultra and high enough to see everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

This so much. I haven’t forgot that and never will. In my eyes it is never “compromise” like they say it, it was just nerf for fun.

Bit side to the original subject but dropping mats are not main way to get mats on that game, most mats comes from salvaging equipment and from using special harvesting tools (buy from Lions Arch with karma) that give leather, cloth etc. as extra drop when harvesting ore, herbs and wood. Those methods give good amounts of mats to make gear, alltough legendary gear is naturally big grind because it is best gear in game. But i agree the way gw2 has done the game is better in the sense that all content is always “current” even oldest one, they even add extra events and things to old maps all the time to keep them just not current but also fresh. They don’t have to prevent people do doing certain things to get people to do certain content, because all content is just fun that people want to do.

This so much! For me flying has been always immersion thing, not convenience thing. Might be also because i am druid and flight form is so natural part of moving and being shape shifter kind of class. I think current game is convenient enough when it comes to moving, i just want that great feeling of flying back. Freedom! :bird:

1 Like

Needing to earn flying is fine; you should have had to explore all the zones and completed the quests to “fast travel” around them in their entirety.

What isn’t OK is using reputation as a gate for the umpteenth time as a means to increase “player engagement”. It’s overly repetitive, lazy, not interesting and is a missed opportunity to add something engaging.

1 Like

My time spent in a zone is not correlated with accessibility.

If I like to explore I will do it with or without flying.

However flying allows construction of more interesting and larger zones, so I prefer it to strict ground movement.

I agree. I feel this game is on it’s current day full of mechanics that sort of “force” you different activities (to get to do something else) that you would probably do really happily anyway without forcing in your own pace. For me it makes things i used to like to do feel like chores. I am kind of exploring and spontanoues player type who enjoys hopping into game and doing content that feels fun for that day. With this gate system i feel i have to do thing in certain order (especially when there is things you cannot even do before first doing something else) which take away from feeling of spontaneous adventuring. Some parts in game i used to enjoy so much feel now like dead end job because of this.

Remove flying and give those with wod, legion and bfa pathfinders unique mounts.

Save the game.

I really don’t like this phrasing.

“You should want! …Why don’t you want?” lol

That’s all I had to say, I know, I know, I’m not really contributing to the topic with this statement. :zipper_mouth_face:

Very much true .

Spot on. And it is right on this topic because very often (of course not always) non-flyers are basing their arguments just on trying to dictate how other people should play the game, basing their arguments on imaginative motives pro-flyers have. I don’t think i have seen many posts from non-flyers where arguments are purely based on what they want to do themselves, it is always about how others should play and where they should be seen, attempt to control other players actions to make the game perfect for themselves.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.