8.2 Heart of Azeroth and going forward

Hi

So i played around abit on the PTR and by the looks of it - the azerite grind is gonna be more ”mandatory” than ever before.

As far as i could tell, the old system of ranking up the neck still exists aka get neck level however, we also have the ”neck sockets” that unlock as you get higher neck levels. The sockets themselves also vary in power which makes them a farm on top of everything.

To clarify:

• You still have to level the neck.
  • You still need neck levels to unlock azerite traits.
  • (new) at certain neck levels you unlock new socket slots.
  • (new) sockets vary in power.

One of my biggest gripes with the expansion is this type of mandatory grind, which by the looks of it - gets doubled down in 8.2.

It promotes unhealthy gameplay as it ultimately gatekeeps you from doing hard content. This was perhaps most noticable in the mythic world first race where players of method where doing islands for a week straight farming azerite.

The sources of azerite themselves are argubly trivial in terms of difficulty, so it’s not an challenging chore to overcome either, just mindnumbingly booring. It’s just blocking you from doing what you actually want to do.

Have Blizzard learnt nothing? As far as i know most people absolutely despise this system of progression yet it gets even grindier in 8.2.

Thoughts? Am i wrong? Have i missed something? Im honestly confused.

Edit: Apart from that, the new island mechagon is awsome but theres underlying problems that keeps me away from considering playing it.

(Ghimrizz) #2

Well I don’t really see the azerite farm as the core issue at hand. It will seem better once the necklace gets the nodes inbetween the major and minor slots added to it. Having a sort of paragonesque system is overall very nice for the game and worked very well in Legion.

The issues are rather that the content which awards azerite itself is a shore. Mythic+ and Raids aswell as PvP don’t give you a significant amount of it, forcing you to do the “sluggish grind” instead of content you may enjoy the most.

In Legion it was easier since mythic+ and raids(no clue about PvP here, I sort of didn’t participate) gave you enought AP to naturally progress your weapons, making the “optional” sources more of a “boost” which allowed you to push up off-spec weapons etc.

If they boosted the AP gains from mythic+, added a bit of it to raids and increased the gains from PvP. It whould feel smoother.

I’d personally suggest a ~20% base increase for mythic dungeons aswell as a higher Azerite increase per mythic+ level. This way dungeons whould hopefully average out just slightly below doing IE’s. It whould pretty much result in similar returns as of hc and normal dungeons do, which aint too bad atm.

Add some Azerite to raid bosses, represented by the bosses difficulty and lootable once per difficulty. So If you just do raids it will at least give some returns into the HoA.

For PvP I’d suggest mainly that a BG loss whould award azerite aswell. Perhaps at a reduced rate, but given that outside of the “daily bonus” PvP currently have awfull AP returns a reduced rate for a BG loss ain’t really necessary.

Well only thing i can tell about it is for the World first race : blizzard will make sure you can’t go beyond the expected neck level for a certain week or content phase.

No hard cap but i guess something along the lines of needing 500% more azerite for each level past their soft cap, which come back to normal values once new content is released

It may sounds weird to not put any hard cap but i think they did so in order to not void any azerite farmed past the soft cap : this way once the soft cap is lifted you’ll keep your progress and enjoy its benefits.

AP is good when the powers it is unlocking are worth the time spend
AP is bad when you grind it for so long and you get a 0.2-0.3% upgrade or even less from it

From the current iteration of the HoA on the PTR the grind will be worth it and also , this is a choice the top raiding players make. To grind endlessly its not something Blizzard is doing by choice. If they make everyone unlock their neck in 2 weeks time what’s the point of it ? AP as it will be in 8.2 is more than fine you get your major powers instantly with one minor at 55 which is more than enough for whatever you decide to do and if you are really dedicated and wanna be rewarded for the time spend in the game you get 65 with another minor essence slot faster.

(Uria) #5

There are only 3 socket slots… 2 of which are the same power and the first socket the major one, you unlock first and impretty sure you unlock ot automatically. Also you dont need to unlock more levels for azerite traits. Their will be no more past the current azerite cap

(Schaduwjager) #6

Didn’t devs say they were planning to buff azerite rewards from harder content significantly (i.e raids/m+) compared to islands? Would be really nice, seeing as how worthless in that regard m+ is.

(Ghimrizz) #7

I must had missed that, still it’s a very welcome addition.

However I hope it’s enought, since this game really need people to be allowed to do what they find important. Even more so if they lack the time required to do WQ’s etc. Personally I’m always in limbo when it comes to time in BfA and if not time, I’m at the loss of where to begin.

In Legion we had the same issue, however doing the weekly mythic+ and raiding did at the very least reward decent AP. I understand that blizzard wanted to cut back on the mythic+ AP farming to prevent a 2nd Maw of Souls farm. However the Mythic+ dungeons in BfA are entierly different, there is no "easy and fast dungeon" in the same sense. Which whould leave some more leg room for higher AP returns.

Then we have the issues regarding PvP which severly lacks in the AP departement especially if you tend to lose most of your BG’s, which some players(both horde and alliance) seem to experience.

I understand that blizzard want to design the content so that raiders. mythic+ runners and PvP:ers want to inhabit the world or do Island Expeditions but at the same time;

Currently at least for me, the AP farm take up about 50% of my play time, due to long stretches of travel time since the only means I could reliably bare the Azerite grind are to combine it with herbing, mining or other means of farming.

Increasing the Azerite rewards from Battlegrounds, Mythic+ and Raids whould be a great addition to BfA since I have a feeling I’m not alone in feeling that Azerite takes up far to much time instead of more enjoyable content. Early on it was fine, you could get about one neck level a week doing your four(7 normal) hc Expeditions for the bonus. Now It requires way to much between levels for that sort of calm playstyle.

Nazjatar and Mechagon is coming up, both who will eat time while the Azerite farming will still have to go on. We also have the new season which means mythic+ will be running hot for a few weeks. If we had flying from the get go for that extra speed I could see it work out… however we won’t have flying during the most busy period of the upcoming patch, which to be honest worries me that people will become overwhelmed.

You don’t have to Unlock any new azerite traits in your azerite gear, they will all be automatically unlocked, once you reach level 50 on your HoA. Afterwards, any azerite gear that drops will have everything unlocked. So, you completely misunderstood there.
Also Blizz said the Socket unlocks are designed in such a way that you will have the middle Major slot unlocked immediately at lvl 50, so you get your main Essence straight away, no grind there. Unlocking the second socket shouldn’t take longer than a week or two of normal casual gameplay to unlock (at least according to blizz) , so no hardcore grind there either.
Also, once you unlock an essence, let’s say of green quality, you’ve got it unlocked forever. If you get a purple quality essence you don’t have to grind to use it either, you can pop it in a socket straight away.
The only way sockets vary in power is that the MAIN middle one, which you literally get straight away, is the one that is giving you an active ability, and the other two sockets you unlock later on give you passive abilities (they are exactly the same, no power variety there).
It doesn’t matter which essence and/or of what quality you put in any of the sockets, you are free to mix and match - you can have an Epic major ability, with one blue minor and one green minor. Or you can have a green Major and an epic minor, it’s all up to you.

It looks like you have misunderstood the system completely, at least judging from your post. It’s not like this information is hidden either, there’s so man6 blue posts, forum posts, YouTube videos explaining these.
Yes, the grind still exists, but it’s only purpose really is to just unlock your last socket, as the first two will be unlocked without any real effort.

(system) closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.