8.2 made WoW feel like a chore/job

Anybody else feeling this way? 8.2 has done a lot of good things to fix some of BFA’s shortcomings, but we’re on artificial treadmill levels of grinding now and there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight to it.

Because of Titanforging and other RNG procs like sockets you’ll never have BiS and have to continue gearing until the next patch invalidates that effort.

Reputation. While some will get to revered for flying and call it quits, many more will get to exalted pursuing Rank 4 Essences. As it seems now they all have an extremely low drop chance and besides getting really lucky there is absolutely no prestigious feeling to grinding reputation doing the same old dailies.

Essences being extremely alt unfriendly. A couple of them already require a tremendous amount of effort just to get the second or third rank. If you want to switch it up with a different class, good luck I guess.

People can rip on Classic all they want for it being grindy, and it is, but at least you can estimate when you’re finished with that version of the game.

41 Likes

You don’t need your BiS essences on every character.

9 Likes

I’m not really talking about getting your BiS essence on every character. There are a couple that are seen as baseline picks or that have a lot of synergy (like Blood of the Enemy) with certain classes and most of them are really unviable to grind out if you have alts.

2 Likes

BfA isn’t all bad but it has felt like a massive hamster wheel more than any other expansion I have played.
Pretty much why I’m not playing right now.
When leaving a game & doing other things instead feels like a holiday, you know something is wrong.

34 Likes

Easy as that

I’m slowly starting to feel this way, to be honest. I’m exalted with both Rustbolt and the Unshackled, and I’m gradually already doing way less in Mechagon bar killing a few rares and doing the big WQ to avoid the burnout. Every day you feel like you have to come back because of the low drop chances of loot and getting closer to another Paragon reputation box.

It doesn’t help that I’m a collector of cosmetics and they decided to put another mount behind the Paragon system despite them stating they wouldn’t do so anymore.

1 Like

Nobody forces you to chase bis, just use the best you have. Its not legion anymore.

1 Like

Collector myself. But idk. Felt zero desire to play.
Just unlocked flying & stopped. Didn’t even get Exalted which is really unlike me.
This is without hunting for BiS or farming AP & Essences for raid.
At this point all that is left is story content & 8.2 doesn’t have much of that.
Just another patch of grinding for the sake of grinding that’ll be absolutely pointless in a few months.

1 Like

Nope. I don’t

I’m able to disassociate myself from WoW when more important things need doing. It’s called maturity

1 Like

I don’t think the implication here was that I or others wouldn’t be able to prioritize real life commitments over WoW?

The topic is that when you do play WoW that the wheel keeps spinning and you don’t get to reliably reach a point of feeling accomplished/finished.

13 Likes

Personally I think 8.2 is the devs answer to complaining.

Things like, more dangerous mobs in the world (the crying the first days of new patch), more ways to gear and an ability to influence the gearing process (benthic), more hidden things to stimulate the sense of “adventure (?)”, less handholding (no quest markers), no content complaints (you have to do ALL content now, starting with pet battles which were sneaked into the flying grind)…everything in this paragraph that isn’t in brackets was a regular complaint throughout bfa (I left out tf/wf).

So I think they decided an all in approach, innundate the player with things to do so that the player plays instead of complaining. Now if you accept this new hamster wheel or not is on you.

4 Likes

It doesn’t resonate nearly as well as it does in Classic with BFA, and I guess that’s why the forums were full of threads causing an uproar about it. Or maybe the playerbase is just bi-polar.

Hilariously what this did if simming is to be believed is make Mythic progression redundant because a few Benthic pieces (especially with a socket) are better at 425.

Mwah, there has been very little story content and that’s exactly what makes 8.2 grindy because everything else is designed to be repeated. How much of that can the average player take before they get burned out? I don’t mind that pet battles have been designed to award reputation though. Finally gave the people always complaining about it because it’s edgy the choice to get out of their comfort zones.

1 Like

8.2 is just a grind slog and yes I know MMO’s are a grind slog, but it is how you design that slog that counts. Right now with 8.2, once you hit flying it is a grind to get enough mana pearls to fully update your benthic gear. It is a grind to get the essences to power up your gear.

There are other ways to do this grind than having a few dailies and world quests, with one emissary turned in every couple of days for Mechagon and Nazjatar. If this content was wrapped with a storyline quest the grind would not be that bad or boring.

it has been always like this

everytthing progress related was always pointless because there was always next tier/expansion invalidating previous one

your problem is that you were living under delusion for too long

a lot of people noticed it much sooner

i for example noticed it in WoD . a lot of my friends noticed it few years earlier.

wow is never ending grind

and it always will be .

becuase thats how mmorpgs are

1 Like

I came back for WoD, after not havin played since Wrath.
Had a lot of content to catch up on. Then Legion came out & was mostly great.

1 Like

i agree with OP so much.

5 Likes

Ye this is a huge flaw. I miss the feeling of being done. The feeling of reaching the limit. Now theres non, except of insane lucky lotery win.

At start, 8.2 does feel like an work. U have to do this or that, but as soon as u unlock flying u find yourself in situation where u go " oh fk no, im not doing this daily today" etc. And after hiting exalted i feel kinda free and having fun again, if u exclude infinite rng gearing.

But honestly if u feel like u are in a work, u should take a break or just do what u like and enjoy in the game, u dont have to be nonstop up to date with others.

1 Like

chaos is a ladder quote is so applicable here, i feel like a headless chicken in 8.2, losing my previously decent traits and secondaries feels like a robbery,

Welcome to the 21st century consumer era:

When there is content drought: BLIZZZ I got nothing to do! What kind a game is this if I am just sitting at home town bored?
When there is stuff to do: OMG Blizz! Don’t make this as a 2nd job. I dont want to grind that and that and that.

P.s And most likely somebody is going to mention: But the stuff and content are boring and etc. And then we open another pandora’s box: Stuff which is exiting and engaging for you. Might be utterly boring grindfest for me…(and vice versa of course).

5 Likes

I am sure most of the audience meant new dungeons, battlegrounds, arenas and raids, not daily chores and afk camping at Rustfeather’s 1 star open sky motel.

At least they gave us an ability to listen to the gorgeous music from Stormsong while we afk there.

But as of now, their solution seems to come from movie Major Payne and his method of forgetting about the pain in the leg - just break the finger :frowning:

3 Likes