A bug makes DOTs OP in PVP - PLEASE FIX

Talking about PVP only:

• Magical resistance does NOT reduce DOTs’ chance to land on a target.
    This means that DOTs will always land on your target even if he has capped shadow resistance, except for the 1% minimal miss chance (also shown as “resist” on vanilla client)

• Magical resistance does NOT allow partial resistance from DOTs tick damage
    This means in PVP, you will always take full DOTs damage even tho you are running with full resistance set. Blizzlike behaviour would be having partial resistance of 25% /50% /75% of DOTs tick

UPDATE1: DOTs partial resists very rarely happen but happen for all the ticks of the same DOT
    did more tests and what I eventually got some partial resistances. But guess what? When partial resistance happens, it happens for ALL THE TICKS of the same DOT (and at the same value).
    ht tps://imgur.com/a/5wqKzcg
    Whereas in Vanilla, each tick a seperate chance to partially resist (check video sources listed below, you can see just 1 or 2 ticks resisted from a full corruption DOT)

Because of that, the chance for partial resistance to happen has to be very low, because that single time it happens, all the ticks will be mitigated.

So, once more, Blizzard changed the original formulas without saying :frowning: Hard to figure things out now.

////////////////////////////////

P.s: all tests were made wearing 170 to 220 shadow resistance. The ennemy casters would cast entire rows of dots and let them damage.
Didnt test it for pve because I’m not sure exactly where to find heavy shadow resistance targets but if someone has info on it, feel free to share it.

P.s 2: usefull links and vanilla info (get rid of the spaces)

• Ancient sources about resistance:
    ht tp://web. archive. org/web/20061128170702/ht tp://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/resistances.html
    ht tps://web.archive.org/web/20060614015831/ht tp://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Magical_resistance

• proof that partial resists in PVP were a thing in vanilla:
    –Saerdna 3 - htt ps://youtu.be/SRXUTgrZOvM?t=16m55s
    shadow resistance: 10
    2 half partial resistances on corruption in that fight
    –R13 Druid PvP – Unstoppable – ht tps://youtu.be/tXgsBdLQfvU?t=16m3s
    estimated shadow resistance: 20 to 40
    3 partial resists of shadow word pain (25% 25% then 50%) from a single dot
    -Kalgan post-2.0 dot nerf: “Previously, dots in general were 1/10th as likely to be resisted as normal spells. That has been fixed, they’re now as likely to be resisted as other spells.”
    ht tp://web.archive.org/web/20080601184008/ht tp://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=65457765&pageNo=18&sid=1#348

So, few questions for blizzard:
1/ whats your current formula for partial resists on DOTS (since its clearly not the same behaviour as in vanilla)
2/should DOTS also have a binary resist chance upon application on 1.12 patch?
3/The 1/10 factor explained above : was it somehow reintroduced in Classic, or do you consider it an unintended behaviour that shouldn’t be recreated ?

17 Likes

I dont think you get it. This matters even if you have “low” resistance.
Many classes run around with decent amount of shadow resistance:
druids, priest with their buffs, pala and their aura, soul link warlocks, anyone wearing some t1/t2 stuff or engineering trinket.

Also, in grouped pvp, people have up to 100 shadow resistance without wearing specific resistance set.

So it DEFINITLY matters.

5 Likes

#nochanges its not OP its just how it is and Locks are the best class in pve and pvp eat a sandwich and pet ur belly then reroll lock like all the cool PvPers (me)

8 Likes

my main is an orc warlock lmao.

I still want bugs to be fixed tho. Because this bug matters for any decent pvp player.

1 Like

yet another thing pservers did better than blizzard

1 Like

Any chromatic dragonspawn/whelp in UBRS should do it.

For a weaker but more convenient option, MC a mob and buff it with Shadow Protection.

Edit: Also, you could probably just Immolate something in Molten Core :stuck_out_tongue:

Good job on the testing. Disregard the trolls.

I now wonder if resistances in general are bugged (even if not for direct damage), since the DoT resist chance should follow the same principle as all other debuffs, right? In any case the mitigation from auras/MotW/Shadow Protection is not negligible (or even gear; I have 40FR myself and there’s the occasional immolate), so it’s an important bug.

2 Likes

idk if this is linked but i was testing with 250 shadow res, and lock pet cs would not resist

Since you mentioned that, might as well check if resistances are working at all in PvP. Just have a mage spam Scorch on a tank in full fire resistance gear.

And i wanted ask if there is any good reason to change aura, lock was hunting me for 5 min and i had 0 resisted dmg in combat log, so concetration aura is better atm.
I really need answers if it help or not against dots.

So wtf are paladin auras for then??? Get your act together blizz.

2 Likes

So far as i know, normal spell res works in pvp. Survived against mages popping fire/frost res totem and getting confirmed resists in the combat logs.

Yes, as far as I know, resistance “works” for non DOTs (even tho its hard to tell if the values are blizzlike).

The main issue are DOTs completly bypassing resistance checks.

Just had a duel with a warlock, with 106 Fire Res with totem, not a single resist recorded on my combat log

what spells were you testing mate? cuz we were mainly discussing DOTs here (so shadow spells for warlocks).

With 106 fire resistance, you should see some partial resistance on searing pain and immolation popping up here and there (mostly 25% and 50% damage reduction)

Immolate, i realised i had it on me and popped a totem out while i healed myself. 0 resists from all ticks.

Would need more samples to be sure about your find
but anyways, im pretty sure immolation is non binary and thus should get partial resists too

Appearently it does affect flame shock DOT damage, and had a warrior partially resist 4/5 hits.

1 Like

Not sure how high res brackets work to resist spells, but remember locks often have 5/5 suppression (10% red.chance to resist spells). Afaik you only need 6% to be hit capped against players of the same level.

200 res is 50%, 300 is 75%