[A] If you're looking for a small, friendly community [Updated for Shadowlands!]

… well, there are like 2,000 of those around, so you’re in luck!
However, since you already made the effort to click on this link, I might as well tell you a few things about us!

update: 27th January 2021 recruitment is open!

My name is Ionis and I’m an unelected, sometimes unintelligible and always underpaid representative of the Pax Community, looking for few new people to join our team in whatever pointless thing I’ll come up with next week (this thread is this week’s project, so you’re safe if you join now!)

We’re around since TBC –wait! No this isn’t going to be one of those stories. Why should you care about 13 years of history of some shmocks you never heard about?

And I’d rather tell you about what really matters:
We’re very voice chat-oriented (via Discord!) bunch of people - which remains our main form of communication. We’re PvE focused, doing mostly M+ dungeons during the week and dabbling with very casual raiding on Saturdays.

We’re all in our late 20s-mid 30s, with kids, family, hobbies - we’re not hardcore gamers ourselves (anymore…) nor we’re looking for hardcore gamers to join us.

We normally hang around Discord voice channel between 7 PM and 10 PM server time a few nights a week, with different people being available on different days.

So, small community, huh? How small?
First of all… whatever my ex said… size doesn’t matter, okay?
Second: We have around 10 people hovering around, with 4-6 available on most evenings.
Do not plan to expand the group beyond 15 people - the idea is to comfortably raid, even with few people being unavailable given week. Oh, btw, our regular raiding time is Saturday, starting 7:30 Server Time.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

What we’re looking for in potential members of the community?

• Social attitude (you can be shy and introverted, no one will force you to talk all the time. Still, some desire for human interaction is required) but able and willing to commit oneself. I cannot tell you how many people joined us over the course of this ad being up and updated, who after an initial ‘meet&greet’ never even run anything with us. Or people who left after figuring out we’re not going to boost their fresh lvl60s through +10 keys.

• Age. I’m hesitant to put any specific age restrictions, as over the years I’ve met levelheaded teenagers and 40-something manchildren. Instead, I simply ask for emotional maturity (saying that, some of us tend to have a sense of humour that is really, really disturbing at times. It’s all about recognising when it is and isn’t time to talk about Armageddon!)

• Semi-serious attitude towards the end-game. The basic knowledge of your class, the content of the expansion and general M+/raid what-is-what ( OR readiness to learn it!) is required. Everything else will come in time.

• Desire to belong somewhere. Okay, this is going to be a little more sombre than the rest of this post. Truth is, people who historically integrated best in out team are the lonely people. Those who play the game but miss the sense of camaraderie and congeniality that doesn’t develop in pugs or revolving-door-policy guilds. In the past year of self-isolation, social distancing and quarantines, having some people to talk to every evening on Discord was an important part of my new social norm. And I couldn’t have asked for better friends… just don’t tell them that. Bastards will get the wrong idea I actually… like them.

We don’t expect you to be the end-all-be-all player the day you join, frankly, if you’re that type of person, you’ll probably find us much too casual.
Over the years we trained few people from absolute noobsticks to somewhat effective raiders (some of us used to be pretty darn good if I can say so myself. No. Not me, because I insist on playing a sub-optimal class for last 12 years… apparently.)

So if you’re worried that you’re new to the game or you’re a rusty old vet who left the game years and years ago - have no fear, we’ll sort you out!
Stuff like raider io score, achievements or ilvl is meaningless to us - as long as you have the right mindset, everything else will come soon enough.

Things we don’t tolerate: while we do share various insulting remarks now and again - it is understandably all in jest. People who are openly hostile towards one another are not tolerated.

Sexual Harassment:
I generally don’t police people on that requirement - never really had to, to be honest - but being obnoxious towards your fellow players in that regard will not be tolerated either.
Unless you want to hit on me. I love long walks on the beach, sunsets and world hunger. Call me~ <3

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Right, jokes aside - I’m going to tell you something most ‘join my community’ people don’t do:

I’ll let you on, on a little secret-- one of major issues within the community is general lack of discipline. And I am not talking about priests. It is hard to maintain any actual hierarchy or punitive benching of people you know for so long and so well…

Another thing that I really consider the downside of our group-- is that a lot of things that happen rely on me. No, this isn’t some sort of false modesty thing - I took over the original guild when we were down to 6 people back in 2009. Since then I seem to be involved in everything this community does and everyone learned to rely on me to do that.
I’d like that to change-- but hey, that’s the social dynamic that we formed.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Right, I’m almost done.
As you can see, this isn’t your normal “join my guild/community advertisement” because I don’t see us as a regular guild/community. We’re a bunch of friends to happen to play WoW at this point in time (we’ve played other games before and will again, like L4D2, Borderlands series, Don’t Starve Together or Civ4 among others) and look for some new friends to hang out with.

Want to send me some hate mail? You can reach me using:
battlenet: Ionis#2574 (usually around in the evenings)
discord: Ionis#8876 (you can reach me here for most of the day but my reply speed may vary, even on weekends)
(Oh, and it’s “I” like Iron, not “l” like lead… I do flip put when people call me Lonis…)

(oh, and we also played Stardew Valley for a while… against my will… Robin is the best waifu kthxbye)

6 Likes

I’ve only joined them relatively recently, towards the end of last year, but, I’ve really enjoyed myself there. I was originally just looking to run m+, which is why I was in the fail train community, but, I had been gone for a bit, and was behind on gear and practise. So I was really apprehensive when trying to actually join runs. I mentioned this in the chat at some point, where Ionis messaged me directly, and had a chat with me, and I ended up joining them for a few runs.

I am really glad he did, since I probably would’ve quit again if he hadn’t. I enjoy the friendly banter during runs, and that there’s no mandatory days to join stuff, or forums that are forced to be used etc, it’s really just a bunch of friendly people enjoying the game together.

So, if you’re looking for a group of friends to join, without drama or all the rules bigger guilds enforce, then this might be for you!

Emily definitely is the best girl though…

4 Likes

I met Ionis and the guild/group, since Wrath through my brother. I was usually playing solo casually doing quests. They let me join them on naxx, my first raiding experience in wow (used to raid in lineage).
I was terrible, didn’t had any addons or any knowledge of my class what so ever. None gave me any flak or was angry at me (to my knowledge :p), I only found out by my brother.
Ionis helped my find out my true calling (healing) and i loved it ever since.
I was usually bad at social interactions and kind of a loner so I wasn’t keen on joining groups, and the guild helped me with that, which to me is more important than dps numbers or loot.
I’m still not that great but much better xD.

Anyways enough of that. We enjoy casually running mythic+ but still trying to do better and maybe raiding. Some of us are in different guilds now and do some raiding.
Most of us also took a big break and tried out other mmo’s like swtor or eso, and we played a bunch of other online games. Some of us will be playing a bit on classic when its out.
Propably horde on pve, some of us are a bit old to deal with gankers.

I don’t think you can marry Robin…except if she is cheating on Demetrius :open_mouth:
Also i call dibs on Abigail.

1 Like

This Emilian Heresy is the reason we don’t let you tank anymore.

… once you go Ionis
Your husband is… goney-is…?

Anyway, Nick is right - I forgot to mention it: Some of us are planning to get to Classic once it comes out. There are no big plans, no pledges to form/reform a guild or anything - we’re not even 100% sure we’ll be playing it seriously-- however, we’ll surely give it a swing.

1 Like

I’ve been part of this gang for… 10 years? Has it really been that long? I was, along with my sister, part of a casual guild for a few years when I started playing wow in 2007 (I think), and to get enough people for raiding, they were teaming up with other groups. One of these groups was Ionis and the guys, and they where a lot more organized than I had been used to. So… I went to their guild, and so did my sister. At the time it felt a bit like we were stolen, but it was also a lot more challenging and fun than where we came from!

We did a lot of raiding for a while, especially during Wrath, but things aren’t as serious anymore. Real life needs to be taken care of, so at this point we play when there is time. I enjoy running M+ instances and raids, but sometimes just doing world quests and chatting on Discord is all you need to cheer up after a tough week at work.

Well, I’m the girl who heals on my resto druid, and barely plays any other characters or games.
I dont know who Robin, Emily and Abigail is :laughing:
But all this talk about Classic kinda got me interested!

1 Like

Well, that is good PR right there, thank you very much Thal!
“Heard of them Pax fellas? They be stealin’ girls and makin’ dem work hard!”

Truth is, I think something just clicked between us. A similar sense of humour and attitude. What really won me over was when Thal went to heal the raid after she broke her arm. She just wouldn’t back down and she mentioned the injury only halfway through the raid after a wipe through a /whisper to me (no one in the raid - except her Sister, that is - ever learned)

You have to be crazy not to offer that player a place in your guild.

I call this ragtag bunch ‘home’ now since the start of Legion.

Being in a dead guild and not feeling like doing the whole ‘find-a-new-guild-and-deal-with-inevitable-drama-eventually-thing’ again, I proceeded to play solo for a long time until I joined the Failtrain. Since I always did like to push myself to some harder content (and Failtrain was not yet as progress oriented as they are nowadays) I joined these guys for some random mythic+ runs and I never left. At that moment they provided the form of content I wanted to do, but I felt accepted really quick even with my somewhat passive nature (Ionis makes up for that pretty easily on his own, so even if you are a bit quiet, you’re good :wink: ).

But like it was said before, there is room for learning. Most of us (apart from one hard-headed paladin) have some alts floating around to do some lower difficulty stuff as well. So don’t be shy, we don’t bite (hard). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t bite at all!

After that 30 days ban, I can’t put anything in my mouth while in game. I get buff food and potions in injections.

// Also, recruitment is reopened for a while as we jump head first into Season 3!

Though I usually play horde these days thanks to my guild (they are horde), I am levelling a Dranei paladin and would like to play that about 1 day a week. I am looking for a alliance community that is decent but casual. Although I am not the greatest player I can play tank, dps and am learning to play holy paladin healer as well. Would you be interested in someone like me as your community sounds awesome?

Hi sounds like a good concept and i would love to partake :slight_smile: contact me for a chat? Flaewin#21224

Right… all my contact info are at the bottom of the original post - please, contact me through it if you’re (even if the recruitment is currently locked) interested.

It’s a sure way to get my attention - cause, as you can see, I don’t check this place very often if there isn’t an active recruitment phase going on.

Just for your convenience:
battlenet: Ionis#2574 (usually around in the evenings)
discord: Ionis#8876 (you can reach me here for most of the day but my reply speed may vary, even on weekends)

Falewin#21224*

Thread was updated for Season 4! Recruitment is open! Furnaces are warming up! Cats and Dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

PS. Please, don’t send me alpaca pictures anymore.

1 Like

What about goat pictures then?

1 Like

Sinaaki! I wasn’t expecting to run into you here.

(Sinaaki is one of the big boss people in Scared of Dungeons, a great community that formed to help people get into endgame without toxic pugging. The community is far too large for my personal taste - I am gone one week, can’t recognise who is who anymore, except Derpy… of course :slight_smile:

If you, Dear Reader, don’t mind a larget crew to play with - Scared of Dungeons might be the place to go!)

Also… That is the cutest little animal ever… I hate you.

1 Like

I am everywhere :sweat_smile::sunglasses:

1 Like

This community ad was updated for Shadowlands.

What didn’t fit the general flow of the text is some raiding-specific info.
After loo-ooo-oong process of elimination, we figured out the only raiding window acceptable to most of us is on Saturday, 7:30PM.
Raiding until the wheels come off… mostly till 10PM/10:30PM.

Considering raiding 3-ish hours a week, we’re cruising through Normal sitting at 6/10 at the moment. So yeah-- if you’re expecting to get Curved, we might not be the best choice for that. At least not anytime soon.

Last, but not least-- if you’re a tank or a healer, be ready to have a functional DPS off-spec. We’re generally full on tanks and need extra healing only occasionally [for the raids]

1 Like

Not gonna lie, this was a great read. Nice work, Lonis.