A letter to Blizzard - Twinking

Good riddance.

Won’t stop you being a bad though will it?

Comprehension is not your thing is it?

XP Off queues are broken - you can’t pick Random Battle and hit Queue. It never pops even if there are enough people queued.

The only way to actually get a BG to pop is to queue a specific BG and not in a group and even then it won’t always pop with enough people queued.

All that’s happening now is Twinks are re-rolling, un-subbing and playing a level 20 Twink in “your” XP on BG’s - Which actually hasn’t fixed anything for anyone.

It’s a lose / lose - You get Twinks in your BG’s, we still don’t get queue pops, and Blizzard loses subs. GG all round

This is actually nothing new. Way back in TBC you could lock xp and join a normal bg with non locked players. A couple of expansions later(ish) they changed it to separate the two and if you had locked xp you ended up queuing for hours. That killed off a lot of twinking as you just couldn’t get the games. I know it caused me to abandon twink chars as I just couldn’t do anything with them. Then they changed it back to how it was for a while and have now changed their minds yet again.

Pre heirloom days, twinking took a lot more effort to achieve, working out what content awarded the best gear for that level, should that be pvp vendor (yes we could find them), crafted, quest or dungeon. There does seem to be a correlation between the introduction of heirlooms and the decision to separate the two sides. It makes little sense to keep it this way as anyone who dislikes twinks in a bracket will very quickly level past that bracket anyway, particularly if wearing heirloom gear for the xp bonus.

Most brackets barely use heirlooms anymore (I myself only have 3 on my 19, out of 12 slots), the new scaling system means heirlooms come out 2-3 ilvl under quest items at 19 and higher brackets, the new RNG epics are also significantly stronger than any heirlooms, though a little scuffed to obtain. The only slots that are really consistently heirloom are legs, neck, trinkets, and shoulders, because of sheer lack of availability at low level, and access to enchants.

3 Likes

I did wonder about that as I’ve been levelling a couple of Allied races recently and the heirlooms didn’t seem to be as good as they used to be when compared to other items. Thankfully I’ve a decent enchy so that’s not so much of a problem. When looms first appeared it was rather different.

Yeah you could say that - my brand new Ally 19 Disc has had 2 epic upgrades from doing every quest in seven different zones. Only one of those 2 was actually an upgrade.

The main problem is that the recent undocumented changes did not get rid of those twinks who queue to farm new players. Twinks who were in for the actual challenge and the community value aren’t queueing up anymore.

Twinks that stayed are using a macro at the exact moment of the queue to get themselves in with experience disabled. The icing on the cake is that macro used to be relevant even in Cataclysm days.
Think carefully over the fact - 2019 or not, this is still a MMORPG where success is defined by time investment into both gear and skill. You are arguing over a concept that is defined by the genre of MMORPGs. It’s time to stop. If you want an equal PvP field and a medal for simply showing up - CSGO, Fortnite or w/e is the FotM today are waiting for you. Hands off MMOs, you rotten wrench.

It is fascinating how they could not even fix the issue properly. They could have gotten rid of it altogether by doing one of the following:

1. reduce the gap between twinks and normal players even further; if what twinks were doing now feels bad for you, don’t even think of Vanilla, you’ll see what being one-shot means for real, not via “first-approximation” BS; one of the variants, actually, could be WoD-esque affix on most leveling gear: for example, twinks on 119 are overpowered due to Anniversary gear which is grandfathered, what could be done is an increase to all non-Azerite connected items’ item level till 333, for example, this would be beneficial for both 110-119 and 120.
  2. fix the damn queues for people who chose to disable XP! it has not been working properly for ages, even with excess (FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK ROW, EXCESS - WAY ABOVE REQUIRED!!!) amount of people standing in the queue the match occurs under a set of conditions, and never in a random BG mechanism;
  3. removing Bestin and rebalancing XP acquirement in all activities, so that twinks could still choose their ground when it comes to PvE and PvP (would require effort not elicitable by indie companies);
  4. simply announcing the change beforehand so people would at least prepare in advance - that’s a no-brainer;

People like Bolverk who preach for equity in MMOs despite time investment in question - you would be the game’s best riddance. Not even kidding. It is because of the likes of you Titanforging, nauseating “whatever power” grind for the sake of the grind itself and needless content gating was implemented. This game was not intended for you, and should not be ever. Looking forward to Classic release where it actually matters again.

There’s an incredibly easy fix for this - put enabling / disabling XP on a 48 hour cooldown or once per reset. Issue fixed, you can thank me later.

I still play my twinks but if I want a BG I have to queue 19 XP Off WSG specific or play an XP on character, or third option is create a level 20 - make it BiS with XP Off, when finished turn XP on, let sub expire and play it in normal BG’s.

Bliz just fix the random queues for XP off - thanks

Do this as a hotfix now, then fix the actual bug.

You’ll have to forgive me for ignoring the rest of your post, but this is wrong.

The XP lock NPCs were added in Wrath of The Lich King, at the same time that battlegrounds awarded EXP.

There was a short time when characters could be on a seperate account that didn’t have TBC or WoTLK, where they’d be locked at lvl60, but were allowed in the XP-on queues because the battleground didn’t register tham as XP locked.

Well I must have been very lucky with queue times then. Yeah it was wotlk rather than tbc, I’d been thinking it was earlier but something definitely happened at some point that made the queues suddenly take forever.

XP-locking didn’t exist in TBC. The NPCs were added in Wotlk patch 3.2.0.

Laughs about how right he was.

…Told you that was going to happen.

Amen.

That’s impossible to do without murdering progression. The lack there-of is exactly why Leveling is so mind numbing. Reducing the gap would only make that worse. =)

What does that even mean…?

That still won’t change a thing. People would just spam-remake fresh lv20 Allied races and semi-twink them. You’ve got 9 whole levels to gank people and you can just re-make the same character over and over again for very little gold and effort.

It’s amazing how people don’t see that. Perhaps the truth is just too painful to accept for them.

No matter what you do: New players and Levelers are always going to get ganked in PvP.

There are no changes anyone could come up with that will ever fix that.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d been thinking it was at the end of tbc for some reason. Someone asked me the other day when the brackets got changed. It used to be 9 levels then for a time it moved to that being split to 20-24, 25-29 and so on before being reverted back. Can you recall what the reasoning for that was?

There was no reason. Just a stupid change and one of the few they were smart enough to go back from.

Could’ve had something to do with new expansions only increasing lv-cap by 5, thus wanting every bracket to be per 5 levels but even a fool could see that you’d end up having far too many brackets that way.

So usual story then lol. I just remember it coming as a bit of a surprise at the time as I’d been away from WoW for a while. It made little sense.

Many things do, ever since.

It was because this was all before the under the hood scaling started. At this time the difference in stats between a 10 and a 19 was massive even before you looked at their gear. After they added primary stat scaling for those under the level cap of the BG, there was no longer a need for smaller level groups.

They killed twinks because of the endless cry coming from casuals/noobs.

Well said in your letter , well explained , using paragraphs etc.
Now , i will provide you the leaked reply from Activision after they read your letter.

Activision : LULW PvP

2 Likes

Why is this true :confused:

when being killed in 2 seconds is considered ‘‘casual’’