A painful realisation

It must be frustrating. I have been trying to get back into RPing myself for quite some time but can’t even seem to get even a character concept going.

“This statement about the game by a close relative of a Blizzard employee will SHOCK you!”

1 Like

I’ll miss roleplaying with you, Akamito. :frowning:

I hope this doesn’t include our clandestine garrison RP too…

Only quitting RP, what happens in my garrison I believe is given a different classification…

Good. You may be a father now, but I don’t want to miss out on my daddy.

3 Likes

Just wanted to leave a comment as well, because the post gave me a sense wistful nostalgia. Like some others have mentioned Akamito, feels like a relatable emotion. I believe 2014 WoW RP brought me through some loneliness as a teenager and I think looking back it was a genuinely socially enriching experience as well. Thankful for the friends that I made and the fun moments that I remember. I think there’s plenty of RPers that look back that feel the same, even if life has moved on or not actively roleplaying. AD will always be your home man, it’s a game and community that makes memories.

3 Likes

I suppose I should write something here as well.

Back in 2015 I was a sociophobic, shy and awkward teenage boy. I hated school, the environment I was in, and I guess life essentially.

But everything changed when I decided to return to WoW, and created a paladin on the RU realm Gordunni. There, I found a group of people that RPed in the Elwynn forest. I approached them, and with a word here and there, I joined their RP guild(The only one at that time, since it was a PVP server). Man, I was having a blast. I was hurrying from the school every day to jump on and start RPing.

Unfortunately, when time passed and 2016 rolled around, the RP on that server died down. And then, I decided to try Argent Dawn EU… boy, was it a right decision.
All throughout 2016 to 2018 I was having an absolute blast. I’ve RPed with many different characters, and many different guilds. But then, BfA rolled out, and so did my graduation from school.

I didn’t know what I wanted to do in life, I was depressed, and lost interest in RP and WoW as a whole. But then, thanks to the most beautiful person in the world, who I’ve met shortly before graduation, things became a bit better for me.

And the last thing, that completely “returned” me back to my feet, was WoW and RP. A month ago I returned back to AD, created this paladin, joined a great guild(Shoutout to GM. Vorian, you rock) and overall, restored my engagement in RP, WoW and most importingly - real life.

Now I’m trying to raise the funds for myself to went to Czech Republic to get my degree, and, of course, playing on Argent Dawn EU. This server is truly my second home, and all of it’s playerbase is my family.

I know, that I got carried away a bit. But I just want to say a big “Thank you” to all who played and still plays this server. You guys, are the most awesome community that I’ve ever seen on the internet. And I don’t know where I would’ve been without all of you.

4 Likes

It’s kind of the same for me.

When I started roleplaying it was all fun, but eventually people’s expectations of you and the constant stress (yes stress…) from making everyone happy, dealing with douchebag officers from other guilds, trying to create your own cool story while making sure not to bubble up (leading to … yes dealing with more douchebags) was all just too much to enjoy after all.

You can only do it wrong:

You RP in Stormwind just for fun after work? People judge, call you a bad RPer, or blame you for “just socializing online” (remember that trashy thread?).

You make cool events for your guild? People judge, call you a bubble RPer. If your event is cool and big enough, other people might even crash the event without knocking the door, creating… more stress and dealing with douchebags.

You play a race someone doesn’t like? More judging, prejudices and stereotyping.

Sooner or later, burn outs happen.

Foregoing certain Discord channels and this very forum removes quite a bit of those elements from your life. Obviously the forum is a good place if you want to promote a guild or event, but so is the Argent Archives and having an ingame presence. I’d recommend it if you ever start feeling fatigued from the OOC fish tank.

Ingame is much the same if someone won’t take a hint or crashes your RP. Do what you do with public ERPers: report, ignore, game on.

2 Likes

What keeps my motivation up is taking short breaks from time to time.

World of Warcraft as a game is quite demanding specially at the start of each new expansion and when it comes to roleplaying it can get a bit exhausting to constantly come up with stories for good events and so on.

There is nothing wrong with losing out motivation the opposite really it is a natural phase about most things you enjoy but question remains if it is a permanent loss of motivation or it can be restored through different actions.

This is a big mood. Or kinda was? Either way I understand. I’ve spent the past six months or so in the same position, with WoW at least as I RP elsewhere, but damn, logging on and doing nothing does suck when you wanna RP.

In the end I took a break and are now trying again after so long. Found a great guild and all is seemingly getting me bck into it.

Try a long break!

1 Like

I had no clue there’s RP on Gordunni.

checks on his like farm

ah the harvest is good this year

Thanks all for the responses, interesting but not super surprising that at a core level most of you are able to relate even if the circumstances vary.

I know a lot of you mentioned taking a break and maybe coming back later, but for me this is the realisation after having taken a long break. I haven’t actively roleplayed for years and now trying to come back into it I realise I don’t really want to do it anymore.

I will always leave the door open that maybe I could dip back in at some point in the future, but I know that I can certainly say that it would only ever be on a super casual level with time constraints being as they are and will continue to be forever.

And that’s okay. Because I’ve lived out the lives of many of my characters to satisfaction, and they still live on in my mind. Akamito is my only deep regret, because I was never able to give him the in-game life that I had imagined for him. He was a character I made when my RP career (lol) was already on the decline.

But he will live on in the totally epic art commission I had done for him, and the stories that I had worked out in my mind. He has taken on a life of his own, just it won’t be one that is shared and grown with other people.

6 Likes

There WAS an RP there, but now it seems it went extinct.

I don’t know who you are beyond a presence on the forums as ‘that one cool tauren’, but this was a heartfelt read.

Best of luck to you, mate. Keep on rocking in the real world! :metal:

1 Like

My biggest shame really because of my lack of in-game presence. I came to Argent Dawn late in the game having primarily roleplayed over on the US side in my prime.

It was always my intention to get deep into the Argent Dawn scene, but life just never worked out that way sadly. I live it vicariously through my forum presence as a sad replacement. Reading stories on AA and seeing campaigns play out that way.

That’s going on my epitaph for sure.

1 Like

When you stole 10,000 from me

Looking forward to 20k :call_me_hand:

1 Like

What has happened, has happened.

Such is way of things, sadly.

Maybe one day, you find inspiration to come around again. You never know what tomorrow brings.