A solution to kill the boosting in classic/classic+/fresh

So whichever instance you are about to do, a party member of 5 level or above is not eligible to enter.

So, a full group on their way to SM, (1 lvl 60 in it), when entering a message comes up.

Cannot enter this instance. A party member in your group is above 5 level or higher.

Just like when you try to enter a raid instance without being attuned…

You are not eligible to enter this raid instance.

Why did I pick 5 levels? Idk, just seemed like a reasonable number.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I got a simpler solution, it’s called delete the improved blizzard talent. Besides, boosting will always exist in some form or another, there are just lots of end-game focused players that don’t want to level and they’ll just pay gold to have someone else do it for them. But yeah, hitting the Mage aoe wouldn’t hurt, I really don’t think being able to solo pull entire instances especially the higher level ones is healthy for the game.

Yeah that sounds about right. When the mobbs are grey, you should not be able to enter with a group.

2 Likes

what if you want to boost you friends for free?

1 Like

That goes away, but still… if u want more interaction and gameplay, you have to offer something. I think this idea is good :slight_smile:

It is unlikely that anything in that regard will be addressed, as those who want fresh, are the min maxers and they want to boost.

Those of us that enjoy playing Vanilla, do so already. I am getting more and more the feeling that you folks are honestly expecting way to much of these “fresh” realms, if they come.

I dont recall a time at WOW, when fresh realms were different to those existing ones. And I dont know a single realm, which survived the gogo for mount and Rank 14 title rush. Once things are achieved, it will be back to TBC or WOTLK.

I would love to see a Vanilla realm without xrealm, 1.12 AV, 1.12 nerfs, Layering, bots and so on, but the truth is, it wont happen.

It´s just economical not a big enough fanbase for this. Most people only care about the mount and the pvp titles, they want to get those so they can use them in TBC or WOTLK. It´s a very tiny minority who actually wants a vanilla realm that remains vanilla forever and since we already have those realms, it is unlikely that more of those will come.

We are most likely if at all, looking at realms that reset every few months.

2 Likes

That’s too extreme. Much more reasonable would be to adjust the XP formula, based on level difference and/or damage/healing done.

Boost someone so they can complete their quests? Why not. Help a group to get a rare item and a small amount of XP? Why not.

Boost someone so he gets tons of XP for AFKing? That’s where the issue is.

2 Likes

Quite the opposite. The min maxers are the ones who do NOT want fresh. They continue TBC, further WotLK if it comes out. True old schoolers want fresh and play the game in a slow manner, enjoy the game, the conent, have fun, take it easy, feel the vibe. Generally just have fun. Feel me? I doubt you do. So yea

6 Likes

This is probably the worst solution.
Just adjust the XP from players 5-10+ levels above you to receive a lot less.
What if the level 60 player was just helping you clear the dungeon as you couldn’t find a tank/healer for the gear?

Adjusting XP based on max level in party/dungeon is a fine idea. Another idea to combat aoe powers is to adjust XP gained based on mob life longevity so that mobs who stay alive longer from first hit gives reduced XP. That would combat huge single pulls like ZF GY, Stockades etc. where the player slowly aoes large packs to death and it would also adress the problem for many classes instead of just punishing mages. Or we could go with aoe capping out or distributing differently.

Yea, but we do not want easy… cuz then we’re right back at it where we are now.

1 Like

High levels have always been a thing to help you with quests/dungeons.
Why exactly is reducing the xp gained with the max level making it easy though?

Ah yes a level 60 shouldn’t be able to enter Sunken Temple to get his class quest trinket or Ony attunement in BRD. Not to mention a ton of other quests u would potentially want to do in slightly lower instances that u still can’t solo.

1 Like

No. If you want to look for a tank or healer, find one in your range of level. Anything else kills the community.

Never said you cannot enter. You cannot enter with lowbies. To start the quest chain, you will need to be at least Level 55. So yea, you can just start that a long time before 60. If you want prio that on level 60, your choice.

Ony chain is definitely not a level 55 quest, more like 50. It’s still a terrible idea, probably my best Classic memories are helping 50ish guild alts in BRD on our mains. Not to mention that there can be like 10 level spread between the mobs in the instance itself. BRD mobs start at 48 and last boss is 59. Uldaman starts at like 38 and last boss is 47. Vanilla dungeons are a mess and any change as strict as this makes completely no sense.

I just learned that on p-serv the bonus exp for dungeon group is 200% while on classic it was 250%.

The p-serv scripting error (I assume the 250% was coherent with vanilla because it’s blizz, they have archived code) was enough to create a consensus that dungeon boost was not efficient enough to become a paid service. This practice was far rarer on p-serv.

So the change is evident : 200% exp bonus → no difference of gameplay for ordinary players → less incentive to do dungeon boost.

OP’s solution is too brutal a change. It would even break the friendly boost run which existed during vanilla (1 60 bringing 1 or 2 friends). As a design rule : don’t block what you can desincentivize. It is better that the players decide collectively to not do something than to block them from doing it.
The first way makes players feel intelligent (“we found the optimal solution to this new context!”), while the second makes players feel bad (“the designer blocks our gameplay booh let’s cry on forums!”).

How exactly does it kill the community?
You’re a guildy helping out other guildies.

Either way, your idea isn’t going to work.

How exactly does it kill the community?
You’re a guildy helping out other guildies.

To be fair here mate. We’re not 8-year old kids who get lost in Wailing Caverns anymore. The majority of high levels boosting low levels in dungeons is just that: boosting. I’m sure you can XP somewhere else and you don’t necessarily need it from the dungeon.

It’s also realistic. What driving experience do you really get when you sleep in the backseat of the car?

2 Likes

Not sure whether you’re even reading?

But … this is what we already do at the Era servers.