Addons - positvite or negative?

If they were all totally banned would we see a better playing experience? I would have loved it if they weren’t allowed. No raid logs less min maxing, just playing the game and having a laugh (I get alot do this but alot are drawn into being the best spec , best gear blah )

5 Likes

Absolutely not. Classic is a great game, but its by no means perfect. Addons help to fix a lot of its flaws.

6 Likes

Raid logs has nothing to do with addons, its a core feature of wow. You just need to “flip the switch” so to speak, everyone can raid log.

The only things addons do is display things in real time and improve the interface in various ways, both visually and functionally. Many of these addon features have later become a core part of the game, since almost everyone universally agrees these were good QoL upgrades. (A controversial QoL upgrade would be the LFG/LFR tool. A very liked one would be Guild Banks)

The real “issue” here is that everyone wants to be the absolute god of their class/role and that isnt possible. Things were very different 15 years ago, in the gaming culture in general.

You would love it if you could force players to play the game in the way you like? Ok…

Addons have always, since launch, been a core feature on this game, if you choose to use them.

If you wonder how popular your idea is, try and make a guild where all addons are banned and see how many wanna join.

There was a lot of discussion about addon before launch. This is the first I have seen after launch.

1 Like

I would like to see some sort of fresh hardcore server where addons aren’t allowed and the population is locked at 50/50. I think that would be a really great idea. I’d probably reroll on the server tbh.

1 Like

Some addons can really help those of us with disabilities. I’m partially sighted, having a chat addon that lets me use a size 22 font in the chat box means I can actually read what my guildies are saying, (I can’t increase the UI size anymore, the skill bar already takes up most of the screen), a larger minimap also helps me see where the gathering dots are, and a nameplate addon means I have a chance to see roughly what health something i am fighting is at.

I will never be the ‘best’ at this game, but Addons do mean i can have far more fun playing it than I would doing so with out them.

4 Likes

Ok boomer.

You can roll on Ashbringer, it’s 49,9%/50,1% and just disable addons, lol.

It’s not fresh though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I honestly couldn’t play this game without Questie.

1 Like

Some addons are a plague, both for the gameplay and for the player’s immersion. The way the game allows you to see or hear things a crucial part of the gameplay and the immersion. It’s so sad that Blizzard and the players don’t realize that.

1 Like

Ehhh, that’s everyone, lol.

I can never understand why people complain about addons though. If you don’t want to use addons, then don’t use addons. If you don’t like the whole system where other players can use addons, then tough luck, because it’s a CORE feature in this game and have always have been.

What kind of immersion? I am not my character and I want addons, someone not liking them is not a reason to ban them, I don’t like levelling so they should ban that too?

If you don’t like addons then the answer is so very simple, don’t use them.

I greatly approve of addons. It gives people an extra option to customize their game. Especially UI-wise, addons are a real feature.

A second thing is that it is too late now to change imo. I want to relive vanilla, and vanilla had tons of addons. It had enemy cast bars, and also spell alert.

We could argue that it would be better if from the bat those addons were forbidden, and you would look at the enemy caster hands to see the color of the cast, or just make educated guesses at what is being casted. But it is too late for that now. Enemy cast bar has always existed as QOL in the early game, became default part of Blizz UI later, and I dont want to go without it.

As for Blizz taking steps to prevent SPY, thats great. They have always taken action against addons ‘going too far’ and its good they still do.

Some addons give you a real edge against your ennemy so not using them would be suicide. In such context the “don’t use them if you dont like them - it’s just an option” isn’t a valid argument.

1 Like

What addon is that you speak off?

No addons?

Short answer. No.
Long answer: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You don’t need any addon to generate combat logs.

Ye like Spy which lets you know when people are around you and when rogues stealth.

Also the addon that insta marks enemy healers for bgs.

1 Like

Those addons are good for noobs like me but nothing a skilled pvper really need.

The raid logs are generated as a text file in the client. You don’t use any addon for that.