[ADRP] What do you think is wrong with Paladin/Church RP?

Well… Ehhhhhh…

Also

Okay now this format is just getting old, rlly rlly quickly.

Everything.

Ik. And it churns out like a Soviet Tank Factory.

1 Like

What?

Loads Makarov

They aren’t knightly/humble/pious enough. I’ve seen some Stormwind Paladins say the bad words…

:speak_no_evil:

OP, are you reffering to church as in Church of the Holy Light, paladin as in Alliance paladin or just in general?

Depending on the race, they’re all very culturally different.

Yes in ten characters.

1 Like

Why there is a thread about what’s wrong with something? It most likely would just bring some headache, jokes and then nothing…

But a smol thing, looking at Paladins not at what they are, but deus vulting purging zealots, why? Because of Templar knights of Crusades… As someone who really loves Paladins so much and mained one for quite a time (more for gameplay) it annoyed me, became a peeve of mine… As it ruined the imagination i had and loved Paladins cause of them :sob:

Anyway, anything can be fun if done well :heart:

P.S: I assume that’s more for Human Paladins, right? What i said mostly applied to them…

EDIT: I also need to mention, aside from 3 church virtues, seems some people are not aware of 5 virtues of Silver Hand/Mereldar, which were from her codices, later given as 5 Librams to the first 5 Paladins of Silver Hand.
Justice, to Uther.
Retribution, to Tirion.
Holiness, to Saidan Dathrohan.
Protection, to Turalyon.
Compassion, to Gavinrad.

I think amongst these, only Retribution and Holiness is remembered properly… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

What do you think is wrong with this person.

1 Like

Did we not already cover this one in the ‘What’s wrong with Alliance rp?’

But I think I can sum it up:

• Too much ‘deus vult’ meme-rp.
  • Players forgetting about atleast two of the Three Virtues ( Respect and Compassion seem far-fetched these days)

Those are the two greatest culprits I can currently think of.

2 Likes

That’s for human paladin RP - but yes, paladin RP is less about “deus vult” or “lumen vult” or whatever I’ve seen transpiring through and really not about spitting “For the Light!!!” every second word you say.

There’s also paladins that try to combine the Light with Arcane magic (Which I’ve seen) at a pretty young age to do so to begin with (given that arcane takes time).

And yeah, disrespecting the virtues and tenets is a pretty big problem in paladin RP.

The historical Templars were mild compared to Alliance Paladin RPers. The latter just RP as if they were Black Templar Astartes or Sisters of Battle.

I believe that the lack of a concrete, correct way to be a paladin, such as proper rules of conduct and expectation with the context of the playable class (not npc scarlet cultists) with allowances for race and culture contribute to a total mess of a thing.

As long as people are free to define their own correct path, there will be wrongs done, errors made and virtues misrepresented. Blizzard’s refusal to set such canon in stone gives room for space marines and knights templar when they would otherwise be antithetical to the Church, the Prophet or whatever else.

Thematics of extremes and free will are strong in WoW storytelling and those who go too far and trample the self realising freedoms become villains. That’s a rough guideline, but not enough to define right and wrong and what little we do have in terms of virtues aren’t enough of a theme in play to be relevant at the front of the paladin player’s mind.

Lack of solid rules for what’s canonically acceptable leads to excesses.

1 Like

Too much Catholic Church, not enough Lebowski.

Too much switching out the word God for Light and not enough paying attention to what information is actually given about the church and its tennants.

There is no set way to be a paladin in lore, there are the three virtues-- but not following them doesn’t take away your ability to cast the light, or the title you wield.

There’s “Paladin” the title, (knights of the holy church) and then just light-wielding warriors, the two are very different.

What’s wrong with paladin RP? I don’t really believe there’s much wrong at all about it, people are exploring different ways to roleplay it, the “deus vult” archetype has become a bit dull with it rising in popularity, but there’s nothing really wrong about it.

Its never on sunday before twelve o clock.

For Priests; Too many Priests wearing extravagant clothes and staves. The money it cost to make all of these fancy pieces could’ve gone to charity instead!

For Paladins; Too many Paladins forgetting that they’re the martial branch of the Church, and typically it’s the Priests that lead the Church.

For both; They oft forget that for their entire life they’ve been told Void = bad. Light = Good.

I get it if you’re not willing to start a crusade against every Void Elf you see, but when you try and tell my Priest he’s wrong for saying Void Elves are wicked for using the Void, you need to go back to priest school my mang.

I can’t wait for the “What do you think is wrong with the ‘what do you think is wrong with’ threads.”