[ADRP] What do you think is wrong with Paladin/Church RP?

Would be great if they RPed as Salamanders instead.

1 Like

True. Instead what we see is Ultrasmurfs, Black Templars, and grimdark Lord Commanders who make Failbaddon the Harmless look competent by comparison.

1 Like

None of them worship Baphomet.

1 Like

This is where they go wrong.

1 Like

Priests, paladins and pious men could easily tell him he is wrong for openly saying this about void elves and use two of the three virtues as examples of why he is wrong.

Respect: Respect is the first virtue taught to those joining the path of the Light. When looking at an enemy, one must look past the hatred that separates. There are qualities to respect and prowess to be acknowledged. Conducting oneself with honor and treating one’s opponent as one wishes to be treated shows respect. Respecting one’s opponents on the field is acknowledging a connection, which brings one closer to the Light.

Compassion: Compassion is the last step on the path of the Light. In times of rivalries, it is easy to see differences at every turn. The challenge is in looking beyond appearances and understanding the similarities. Through this understanding, one can feel compassion for the losses others have suffered, even if the victim bears another banner. By feeling and understanding compassion in enemy and ally alike, one reaffirms his or her connection with the world.

5 Likes

This depends on the kind of paladin we’re talking about.

• A Vindicator I think is not applicable here as there are no Vindicators that belong to any given church that I know of. Same as Blood Knights and Sunwalkers, I would say. But I do not know much of those two.

• A church of the Holy Light Paladin - probably, though I do not know that much on that field of RP.

• A Silver Hand Paladin - as far as I know, the Order of the Knights of the Silver Hand is made out of almost entirely paladins (With Alonsus Faol being the one to train the first paladins as far as I know, who was a priest of the Chruch of the Holy Light – but that means that the CotHL formed the Silver Hand, and not that it has direct control over it.). As it stands, there seems to be no leadership role assumed by a priest, and anything close to being a priest in their order was a night elf that had become a paladin.

I agree on the abovementioned post by @Josseline, that whatever prejudice would have been taught, I don’t think that a paladin that follows the three virtues correctly would have any issue respecting and feeling compassionate for the person beside them - even if they have been afflicted by the void. That does not stop your character from being prejudiced however. It only means that it can create good IC drama and conflict sometimes perhaps. :slight_smile:

The Priests are taught to help -everyone-, but in the eyes of the Church help can be defined as removing the Void from them, as the members of the Church are taught that Void = bad and Light = good.

For my Priest in particular, compassion for the undead = killing them and returning their soul to the Light.

I usually only refer to the Church of the Holy Light, which is the organisation my character is apart of. It’s led by the current High Priestess and has always been led by a Priest, with the Paladins being only a martial branch, which is where the Order of the Silver Hand originally came from.

Well, the first paladins were indeed made by the Church of the Holy Light - you could say. But then the Order of the Silver Hand was founded. Which High Priestess is the one leading the Church of the Holy Light? I can’t recall since Archibishop Benedictus died.

I don’t think there’s any solid -mention- of a new Priest taking over as Archbishop, but High Priestess Laurena of the Cathedral of Light in Stormwind was the second highest ranking member, with Bishop Farthing just by her. So I imagine one of those two lead the Church now.

Alright! That’s fair, thank you! But then again. Many paladins are not part of the Church of the Holy Light and prefer the route of other orders (i.e. Argent Crusade & Order of the Silver Hand), but I do suppose there’re some that might be as you said, of the Church of the Holy Light.

You kill him as a Priest when you recover Xal’atah as artifact, he became the twilight Prophet.

Yeah I just read that on Wowpedia as I was doing some quick research. He’s replaced by Bishop Arthur.

I haven’t done the Xal’atah questline yet so I still see Bishop Farthing at the Cathedral =/

1 Like

This is interesting lore though.

Which makes me wonder, would there be known that Archibishop Benedictus fell to the void or did the CotHL make a lie to cover it up?

That is one of the rather…less conveyed matters that people don’t explore IC I feel. It could be fun to think on it.

I’d say not enough Brimstone and Fire, paladins were the creation of Alonsus Faol and were tasked with preforming and upholding good deeds in the kingdoms they operated in, but it seems Law Enforcement agencies always get the final word, I’ve always seen paladins take the road of discretion rather then valor, how are we supposed to enjoy being a Paladin if we can’t meet out justice to evil-doors who keep poping up on the server, its always “Be good, don’t hit people, put away the execution sword” bla-bla-bla…

Well! The answer to that is quite simple.

More villains, perhaps people that do wrong, raise your sword if need be. There’re a lot less inter-faction fights than outer faction fights. Plenty of emote fights you can have with the Horde, or RP-PvP though!

When you addressed Bishop Farthing about Benedictus’ fate he covered it up, he laughed and dismissed the Archbishop’s desertion as a fabrication; lies almost.

This can be either the Church cover it up, or Bishop Farthing was acting on his own as we know now he too served the Twilight Hammer.

Again, personally my character wouldn’t believe it either. Benedictus merely died in the pursuit of justice.

Yeah! But, do the people know his story overall? That’s an interesting arc I’d like to explore IC personally. :slight_smile:

I found a happy medium! My Priest is a consultant for law enforcement from the Church! He provides religious services to the Guards and opportunities for confession and otherwise to criminals.

If the Church covered it up then I’d be sceptical that the majority of the public are aware of his betrayal. I’d imagine Bishop Farthing would’ve taken that secret to the grave with him.

1 Like

Arthur mentions Farthing’s disappearance as well.

“Bishop Farthing has left too?”

“Yes, he left in quite a hurry. After dealing with the accusations against Benedictus, he decided to go investigate the matter personally. Hopefully he will find some peace on his mission.”

“Peace? What was wrong?”

“Yes, well, he hasn’t really been the same lately. Arguing with himself, being more secretive, ignoring ceremonies. I think the stress of this investigation just got to him. I hope he’s alright.”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.