Advice on the PC spec I am getting

Hello,
My computer is getting pretty old now and after playing WoW with 10min loading screens and 5 fps in BGs i decided I finally need to get a new one. I asked a friend to suggest a spec for me, however he doesnt play WoW so he isn’t a 100% sure what kind of performance I will get with the spec he suggested. I was wondering if you guys could help me out? This is the spec:

GPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600x 3.6 GHz 6-core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - b450 Aorus Elite ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair - Vengenance LPX 8 GB (2x4GM) DDR4-2400
Storage: 1)Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5’’ Solid State Drive
2) Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5’’ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX - Radeon Rx590 8GB Fatboy OC+
Power supply: be quiet - Pure Power 11CM 600W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Would this build be enough to play on highest settings in raids with a tolerable FPS? Or if not what graphics settings do you think would I be able to play on? Or do you maybe have a suggestion for a different part (that is not much more expensive then one of these). Any help would be appreciated
Thanks guys

you may have read older posts saying that you should get an intel cpu for wow. that’s not even close to as big of a deal as it used to be before 8.1 and before ryzen. that being said, it’s still a thing.

wow is very much cpu bound in raids, and if that’s a priority for you then it makes sense to get something from the blue team, specifically a 9600k for around that area in pricing i guess. but then you also need a z390 board and a decent cpu cooler, so you’d be jumping up quite a bit in price.

but it depends on what “tolerable fps” means to you, how big your raid is and to some extent what difficulty you raid at. you can have a good raiding experience on a ryzen as well.

ryzen scales well with faster ram, but even on intel it’s a pretty big deal when you’re cpu bound. 2400 is a very low frequency in 2019. surely you can get something faster without raising the price of it much.

8gb of ram feels pretty sketchy. it’s tolerable but this isn’t an extreme budget system. it’s not the least bit difficult to soak up 8gb of ram nowadays.

the graphics card is fine. graphics card doesn’t really matter much for raiding anyway, most systems will be cpu bound, and if you’re not you can easily improve that by reducing some graphics settings a little bit. when you’re running into trouble with your cpu being too slow there’s not a great deal you can do, reducing graphics settings doesn’t help all that much.

1920X handled SS vs TM Brawl last week for me while I also made WoW “almost smooth” on a 10W Pentium J5005. No matter what hardware there always will be a chance for odd regression in performance.

not done the brawl but i swapped out my 6700k earlier than planned because of bod, performance was not good enough, especially on 25+ man heroic runs. running a 9900k now and it does a good bit better.

Go for 16GB (2x8GB), 8 is kinda low nowadays. Also Ryzen loves faster memory, get a kit that is 3200MHz, or at least 3000MHz. Basically go as far as the budget allows you to, 3400/3600MHz is even better.

Scrap that, Go for GTX1660Ti. It should be around the same price, maybe a bit more expensive.

About the rest, I would personally go for ASUS mobo, and Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic PSU. I just have good experiences with those and not so good experiences with GB :slight_smile: but that’s personal

my asus board is frustrating. forced 100% fan speed above a certain temp is very annoying, makes some sense as a safety feature for novices but at the same time i’m allowed to enter whatever voltages i want so that doesn’t really hold up. it also blinks the power led like crazy in sleep mode and i haven’t found a setting for it, may just have to plug it out. the rgb on the board keeps glowing all the time, even when the system is off, which seems silly. the voltages it pumps in auto are also beyond silly, with just MCE on (which is 4.7) it was pushing well above 1.4v under load (my chip needs 1.34v for 5ghz). it also tries to push over 1.3v IO and SA on auto when it’s perfectly stable at 1.15v.

of course it’s gonna overshoot a bit on auto but the voltages it chooses aren’t even on the same planet as what’s actually necessary. good luck handling a 9900k at above 1.4v on air or closed liquid, and that’s with MCE which is a feature aimed at beginners who are definitely not using custom loops.

it has some “smart” feature where it tries to estimate voltages required for non-avx and avx at a given frequency to tell the user but it’s extremely optimistic and not even close to accurate. it also has “cooler score” which wildly shoots up and down when nothing about the cooling is changing. neither hurts the usability of the board for me but seems pointless to have them there if they’re so inaccurate.

it’s strange how it’s so inconsistent where it’s grossly pessimistic with automatic voltages while simultaenously being overly optimistic with the overclocking voltages it suggests.

kinda miss my z170 evga board.

i will say though, the memok boot recovery is excellent, never been stuck in a boot loop and had to clear cmos yet.

never had a gigabyte board, personally.

They’re a bit too new to be considered ‘good value’, IMO… ~£300 in the UK is getting close to GTX 1070/2060 territory & they’re more ‘tested’.

GTX 1660 Ti is around GTX 1070 level of performance. AMD cards right now are superb value - but as used at used prices. There is a lot of Vega and Polaris cards out there and the prices had to come down (similarly some Pascal Nvidia cards but not as much).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.