Alt unfriendliness in retail and why there are complaints about no content

First of all, it would be worthwhile to understand what people mean when they say “there is no content”. It almost never means that there literally is no content they haven’t completed, rather just that there is no content that they deem a worthwhile investment of their time to complete. Let’s put it this way:

• leveling is content, but it also isn’t for everyone. For some people, leveling is just the dead period before they can actually do content;
  • pvp is content, but for someone that is utterly uninterested in pvp, it only ranges from something they ignore if there is nothing worthwhile to get from there that relates to their own playstyle, to something they consider a massive inconvenience and nuisance if that worthwhile something is there; the reverse is perfectly true for players exclusively interested in pvp;
  • pet battles are not content for someone that isn’t interested in pet battles.

And so on. This goes for every feature in the game, and the typical player behavior really is that there is content that someone likes and content that they don’t like, and what exactly that content is varies from player to player. Players that do all the available content with joy are in point of fact extremely rare; I can say that I haven’t actually met anyone like that while actually playing, and my friends list ingame is in the hundreds, which is not to say that such a person doesn’t exist, but merely that it’s not a common occurrence.

Now, Legion and BfA did/do have content. In fact, compared to older expansions, there is more content than before. At the very least, world content and dungeon content have a longevity they never had before. By this, I mean just what I said earlier, that they provide rewards that are worthwhile for people with multiple playstyle preferences, ranging from people who genuinely enjoy world content to raiders to pvpers. In fact, their reward structure is so generous that they cannot be ignored by practically any player that is interested in any kind of midcore endgame without that player losing big for it. What the systems are that facilitate this - titanforging, random sockets, AP, essences, rng legendaries and whatnot - and whether or not those systems are fun or better systems could exist is an entirely separate discussion than the point of this thread. And thus, we get to the main point, which is the “worth” of playing an alt.

One of the cool things about any game with several different classes or races or factions or anything along those lines is that these provide replayability. They provide enough change from the initial experience to make picking one worthwhile, but on the other hand all the previously completed and obsolete content once more becomes available and something to look forward to do. Taking WoW as an example, if I played through the content as a healing priest, and then roll an alt rogue, I’ll be playing not only with a different set of buttons and a different flavor, but even an entirely different role, which could make at least the more enjoyable parts of all that content I already did seem quite fresh. This is the great thing about alts and multiple classes.

However, there is a caveat. Many people are oftentimes willing to go through some parts that have worthwhile rewards, and I did give some examples earlier, the first time around, even if they find those parts boring or a nuisance. Most people also understand that their alts are not going to be at quite the same level as their main - this is obvious since there won’t be as much time dedicated to them, they won’t have as much practice playing the alts, and so on. But many people also expect their alts to be able to get close enough to the level of their main too - one wouldn’t expect a mythic raider to be content to do normal and lfr on their alt, or a 2600 rated pvper to be content to play at 2000 rating on their alt, or an expert mythic plus dungeoneer to only do +6s to +10s on their alt, at least not for an extended period of time. The issue here is that while the first time around, those boring nuisances were probably bearable, when it comes to doing it all over again the second or third or even fourth time around, it really stops providing any kind of fun and the annoyance only exacerbates. But as I said earlier, these types of content award things that are simply too worthwhile to skip.

So instead of alts providing a refreshing experience, they end up being sources of more boredom and frustration, and this part is true for a lot of players. The game needs systems that enable alts to skip the boring chores or at least skip them in part (speed them up), and get close enough to the point where the main is so the content they can realistically perform in is that which provides fun for the player. Instead of doubling the lifespan of the content that players find boring and nothing but a chore, they should double the lifespan of the content the player actually likes playing. That is the way to make alts a healthy thing for the game. That is one of the reasons why catch up mechanics are a good thing (the other reason being that they facilitate access to the actual game for new and returning players).

I’ll end with an anecdotal example of my own preference in how to play the game. For the longest time, the content that brought me the most enjoyment in WoW has been PvP, and specifically rated Arenas. Back in MoP and WoD, it was perfectly possible to roll an alt, level it fairly fast and then get it ready for playing Arena at what I considered to be a reasonable level, all that in a matter of days. So whenever I would get bored of my main, I’d roll a new character and it would refresh my game experience. In Legion and in BfA, on the contrary - getting a hypothetical alt to a level I consider reasonable would require perhaps a month of dealing with what is to me unfun, boring and annoying content, needed otherwise to get the proper essences, the proper azerite parts, the proper neck level, the proper gear, even if not at the same itemlevel as the main but close enough to not feel that alt is too underpowered, which leads me to the reasonable consideration that rolling an alt is a waste of my time, which further leads to the conclusion that I wouldn’t roll an alt. This is how I suspect many players end up feeling stuck on one character, and furthermore that one character is stuck on one single spec (for various reasons, ranging from the investment in the spec specific artifact weapon in Legion to Azerite gear in BfA). It’s, I think, not hard to see how from this point one might jump from this situation to the conclusion that the game has “no content” or that the new patch brought too little to the table. It’s really because the easiest means of doubling that existing content is effectively disabled by (the lack of proper) game systems.

39 Likes

100% agree. BfA does have fun content, but often it’s locked behind most boring activities in the game.
My example, my raid group needs mage.
Ok, I can switch! BUT:

• first I have to go through leveling (112->120)
    – which means I have to do quests I already did, dungeons I’m constantly doing while playing M+ and expeditions which are boring
  • then I have to do campaign which I ALREADY DID to unlock Nazjatar and Mechagon
  • AND THEN I have to do boring and repetitive world quests in order to get rep for mandatory essences

All of it wouldn’t be such a pain if that wouldn’t require so much time put into boring activities… Whener I think “let’s make an alt!” I instantly have in mind WQs, Nazjatar, Mechagon, AP grind, islands and I’m already burnt out before even trying.

M+ essences are perfect. You can get them quickly if you want. With other essences you can’t.

23 Likes

Everytime you make something good for alts you take away from your main. Maybe if game would not be so boring you would not need 12 other characters to play with and maybe if game would not have all this catch ups and easy mods for alts you would not get bored on your main. Becouse fact we can easly lwvel up new char and get him on same level as our mains with no effort makes playing mains boring. Every time when you play with no catch up it feels like blizz is artificial holding you back becouse suddenly on max level you can uae all this catch up for alts but for some reason you couldnt use them on main. It devalues everyhing you do on your main character.

2 Likes

It really isn’t that hard.

Signed: 4 chars at 435-447, full time, very responsible job, hobbies and a tinder date almost every week ( I mention this because of the time investment xD )

If I were you I’d start my new char, do a round for wq the purple icon world bosses mainly, warfront, then, courtesy of epic skills in PvP, I’d go play arena for the essence, I’d do m+ for the second essence and you’re almost set. The basic essence you level with heart level anyway, so you’re at 3 as it is. Heart catch-up for alts does wonders here. Alternatively, you could put the PvP honor essence in somewhere. I assume due to your liking of PvP honor generation shouldn’t be an issue.

It’s probably not a perfect setup, but for minimum investment start, it should do.

Personally I think life gets smoother if you work with what you’re good at and not work with what you hate/are bad at.
So that’s why the bulk of this “advice” is centered around things you like to do and not so much around “bis” this and that which requires selling your soul to some NPC.

After all this is done, if you have the fun, you’ll find the motivation to pursue bis whatever.

3 Likes

One way to partially solve this would be for your mains to be able to craft raid gear for your alts.

Right now crafted raid gear is BoP. Like the 440 pants/belt from blacksmithing. So you only really ever craft it once, if that.

It’d be nice if I could craft a full set of 415-430 gear that wasn’t BoP so I could use all the extra materials I’m getting from scrapped gear to gear up my alts. That’d make professions worth something again.
And if Blizzard doesn’t want this making money for us they could just make the gear BoA instead.

Essences should also be bind on account because they’re a pain to farm out a second and third time.
Even if they only make rank 4 essences account wide so we have to put some effort into it still, that’d be great for alts.

We should also be able to buy azerite for our alts using war resources (Make boxes that require an azerite level of less than 60 to use or something like that to stop us funnelling it to our main.)

Also for the love of god let us skip the Nazjatar and Mechagon intros so we can get our level 35 HoA and mechagon trinket without dredging through those quests for the umpteenth time.

Anything to make playing alts at 120 more bearable.

4 Likes

Thank God! I thought it might take some time grinding out AP, Azerite pieces, reputation and currency for essences!! All we need to do is a round of world quests and a warfront guys!

I also have a few geared alts and I think you’re missing the point. BFA was a mess. Classes are still a mess and essences are pretty much the only step that Blizzard has taken to correcting their butchery. To lock this behind an AP grind then rep grind and finally a currency grind that is all time gated is utter idiocy. It’s bad enough that I had to suffer through this braindead system design once, I’m not going to do it again.

2 Likes

Look honey, with the passive aggressive wannabe swag…if you dont like it don’t do it.
If you like it, you’ll do it. And you’ll do it some more for the third ranks.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand how this game works…honey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I kinda like how ESO handled it. Soulbound essentially meant account bound. So you could bank (also account wide) your gear to another character.
For example, I’ve got some sick gear on my rogue. I could mail it to my fresh 120 druid to help him farm his own gear a lot faster. You could mail Paladin armor to your warrior, or Hunter to your Shaman, etc.
Obviously this is just to help them farm their own gear, and once done you can mail it back to its original owner.
This skips the whole process of having to farm all those WQs and mana pearls and go straight to Mythics or wherever you get your end game gear from.
Currently I’m trying to farm Nazjatar for mana pearls on a 340 ilvl hunter… yeah. Every single mob feels like a mini raid boss. So I’m probably going to have to dip out and keep doing WQs until I finally get a higher level, which is timegated.

4 Likes

Well I’m no expert but the underlying reasoning behind my post is taken from real life:

If I see a thing that benefits me in some way, providing more fun then I had without it and some work is required to do it, I try to do it.

Banal example I wrote about yesterday…you can do the entry level of “non casual” gameplay, a M10 with just one or two essences. They don’t even have to be rank 3.

Well, you don’t even need those do you? I certainly didn’t use any essences to complete a 10 when 8.2 released.

If you hadn’t called me honey I would have commended you for this.

My point is this. 8.2 is likely the last significant update of BFA and with it they introduced 3 more layers of grinding and RNG between the players and rewards that make their classes feel like they’re progressing and most importantly adds some really fun and dynamic gameplay choices. To me this is wrong and just poor game design and I take issue with that as a player and a customer.

I’m at the point where only mythic raiding could possibly provide and upgrade for my main so I really want to try getting an alt to the same level but I can’t and not because I don’t have the skill but because I’m burned out from having done it twice already.

I don’t need BiS? Cool, I don’t want it, but for the love of god why is rank 2 of an essence locked behind a month long time gated rep grind this late into the expansion?

BFA is throwing so much welfare gear at them and these lazy babies are still crying. Learn from this Blizzard, these are the sheep you’ve been catering to for 10+ years, ruined your game for, and they’re still screaming for more free stuff.

2 Likes

Short post, strawman, didn’t even read OP, passive-aggressive without point, pretending to talk to Blizzard.

Yup, 15y old troll.

3 Likes

What about instead of just giving out essences to alts, you make the content required for essences fun?

That’s the whole problem of BfA, is that even though there is a lot of content, it’s not really that fun, coupled with a lot of ppl not liking class design.
Well that’s how we get to the point where we are right now.

I disagree with just giving your alts gear, essences and other rewards just because you got them on your main because your alt is not your main, especially if you’re not playing them much.
Your alt is a completely different character and it should remain that way imo. where you have to earn things on that alt if you want them to have it.

I would only agree to however lowering the requirements for some essences (not all) if you’re already got them on one character, but only by 10-15% or something like that.

6 Likes

WoW offers content for exactly one type of player:

The Raider.

Thats it. Every other aspect of the game is neglected to a point where most of them just died.

Professions are useless unless your roll Alchemy or Enchantment, and they are only usefull because they help the raiders.

Leveling is boring and linear to a point where many people just buy a boost. There is almost no interesting content bevor max level.

PvP is meh. I never liked it because in a game like WoW, its always Gear>Skill.

Pet Battles didnt get any real improvement since they were released.

When you play WoW, you are either a Raider or the game is just not for you.

6 Likes

Such as…?

literally every activity in the game throws epics at you

1 Like

So it’s the color of the item that matters not the ilvl? more importantly average ilvl but even more important how is this has anything to do with the OP? lol…

Yes but not the BiS gear with correct stats and weights,people keep on harping on about epics being so easy yes they are so what .Its the item level stats that matter when will people understand this .

7 Likes

well, just because it’s not as stupid as giving out 855 for uncrossing a leyline doesn’t mean it’s not stupid to get 830 for afking a warfront