An Activision-free, Blizzard-inspired company is on the way

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308722289903632384

This promises to be interesting.

11 Likes

sounds about as exciting as that Bonfire studio… theyve made sooo many great games since leavin blizzard

this just more activision finger pointing, pathetic

1 Like

Same with old ex-Bioware devs, they started new company, out of EA. There is more hope that CD-project RED not the last world wide creative studio.

1 year later

3 Likes

Interesting, however a team of “Blizzard vets”, “Old WoW devs” etc are buzz phrases i’ve seen before for failed projects cough Wildstar cough.

And I’m pretty sure Mike isn’t against lining his pockets if another big investor such as Activsion came along.

3 Likes

I actually think Mike would be a against that.

Anyway yeah, this looks super exciting, but I’ll wait and see if we’ve got another Bonfire Studios on our hands. I hope not.

He was not against it with Blizzard.

Yeah the “ex-Blizzard developers” is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot. I guess the Blizzard name carries so much weight in the industry, that any new company that can profile itself that way, will do so…and probably also should.

Generally speaking I think a number of ex-Blizzard developer studios have made great games over the years.

The most recent one that comes to my mind is Moon Studios, led by an ex-Blizzard guy too, that made the Ori games. Wonderful experiences.

But yeah, like Bonfire studios, then it’s another company to bookmark.
And like Blizzard themselves, then these ex-Blizzard developers tend to take their time as well. When it’s ready and all that. :yum:

3 Likes

He didn’t do it. His company was sold off by Davidson and Associates, who originally funded their start-up, to Vivendi. Vivendi then bought Activision and merged them. And then they bought themselves free of Vivendi, and thus Acitivison-Blizzard was born. I don’t think Mike would’ve done that willingly in a million years.

Article in case anyone is interested in reading:-

2 Likes

I wonder what they’ll make.

With Bonfire headed by Rob Pardo, I’ve always thought he’d lean toward a tabletop kind of game, D&D inspired and such.

Mike Morhaime was always a huge fan of RTS and StarCraft, and the RTS genre has seen a bit of a renaissance recently, with Age of Empires and C&C remastered. So maybe a new RTS?

They also have their own twitter up and running

https://twitter.com/DreamhavenEnt

1 Like

Great… I hope. Still gotta wait years for them to produce something.

I hate waiting! :sweat_smile:

Sounds like indie stuff… hard pass.

I’m going to throw all my money at them if they end up making an old school WoW inspired MMO.

2 Likes

The perfect time, now they have to give us games with old Blizz flavors.

Mike definitely takes some jabs at Blizzard and Activision’s control and short-term financial focus.
That soup’s been brewing for ages, and it definitely doesn’t befit Bobby Kotick’s image, the prick he is.
But still, the games industry is a business too, so fancy words do need to be translated into games that can make a profit. And Kotick, the prick he is, is annoyingly good at that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-23-ex-blizzard-boss-details-new-company-dreamhaven