Anniversary AV vs Classic AV - what is the difference?

I started in TBC and enjoyed that AV version a lot, but was hoping for some of the real deal everyone has been praising over the moon.

I have a few Classic chars but not been motivated to lvl them past 45 yet, I’ve had too much fun in retail lately and somehow got stuck after getting the mount. (don’t behead me… you can enjoy both…) Getting AV has motivated me to play them again - until I came here to the forum and see all the complaints.

I’ve had a ton of fun in retail’s temporary version of AV. Now I understand it’s not the same as in Classic and I would like to know what is different, except for the lvl scaling.

I know you have all nationalities including Russians but there has to be more to it than that.

So please tell me, what is the problem? What exactly is different from the anniversary AV? What AV is the one everyone praised?

Edit: Please disregard the honour system, I know enough about that. Also disregard rewards. All I want to know about is the gameplay, the fun factor is what interests me.

I played wow from eu beta and realy like old AV. It was about wining by parts. U need to capture tower by tower, graveyard by graeyard and defend it to be suscessful. Pushing horde /ally to their base and kill them to be able to attack last boss. U had many quests inside to gather resources and help npcs to fight against hode. On allly side u could call Druids reinforcments - realy strong elite squad that helped u zerg horde and push into them.

U couldnt just run to boss and kill him. Bc. tower/mobs/bosses were much stronger.

mybe some1 else will explain better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Original AV was a huge scale war, with many objective points that you had to slowly progress forward and take. You would find little raiding parties sneaking past enemy lines and ninja’ing graveyards etc to try and disrupt the main forces. It was an epic battle that could last days at a time. Current AV lasts for 10 minutes and is probably the perfect microcosm for what Retail to Classic looks like :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for replies. :slight_smile:

So the Classic AV we got is something like we had some xpacs ago (don’t remember exactly when). All rush to Horde keep, take towers in there, kill Drek, win? And Ally won every single time…

2 Likes

I started in TbC also. In the end AV fun is players choise. Try stop the oposite fraction and have fun killing each other or run to the boss and gain max honor/rep per time spend? Now we are in the honor/rep face. I hope that after things settle a little we can fum AVs.

1 Like

But tell me, can you summon that ice lord horde always do in the anniversary AV? I’ve helped summon the druids once, seems like ally don’t care and we mostly lose.

I’ve handed in looted stuff from both players and NPCs. There are quests for rams and mines everyone is doing to get a mount, but most have it now so it’s more pvp. Usually 90 % of the ally stay in the keep and get ganked at the bridge, horde are much better.

Maybe the anniversary AV is closer to the one that is so much praised? Or is it the same? (with exception of tuning to BfA and lvl 20s being able to enter? Gear doesn’t really matter, all is about skills).

The main reason AV ends as fast as it currently does is partly because the NPC’s are slightly nerfed, but the main reason is just that people have figured out that it’s significantly better honor and rep to more or less ignore the enemy team and complete as many objectives/win the game as fast as possible instead.

2 Likes

This version is indeed very very dissapointing for me. Not only because Horde hardly ever wins but I miss the epic ongoing battle we had in the old days, summoning NPC’s, pushing back to grab hold of a GY, sneaking behind enemy lines to capture a mine, summoning forces to another area of the map to surprise the enemy. I could go on on. This AV at it’s current state is a big letdown for me :confused:

2 Likes

The zerging boss with only 2 or even all towers up will be fixed by blizzard.

They always fix av every expansion when it’s like this i dont think they will let this one sneak by lol.

1 Like

Ok, I think we have the reason here. Partly Blizzard’s fault, partly plain plainly players themselves that prefer the zerg farming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.