Anyone going back to retail?

I have gone into classic a few times but to be honest with the current essences in BFA and trying to keep my alts geared, I really cannot leave BFA to play classic.

When I did log into classic it was like been there done that and I logged off.

He says as he goes to level alts in BFA. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Gotta keep the alts ready for the next raid tier :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll stick to Vanilla, and I will take it slow and enjoy my journey towards level 60 and everything that comes after.

There is no chance that I will be playing Retail again. But I would probably go to a TBC server in the future, as I believe Blizzard will launch that too at some given time. But first I intend to play Vanilla for a couple of years.

1 Like

Nope.

1. Titanforge i hate that, you never get BiS gear complete. Itā€™s like doing the same thing over and over for nothing. This is an horrible system that prevent me to play because i like ā€œfiniteā€ thing. Add with that, the mantra of Blizzard to deprecate every single gear you get in the next patch, i have no words to describe how i hate that.

2. Thereā€™s no achievement to do the highest content (aka Mythic raid). Every plebe player can see in LFR/Normal/Heroic the raid boss. So, when i come to the last boss in mythic, i feel nothing. Because every players have already seen this boss in LFR/Normal/HC mode. And of course, the end of tier set just destroyed any faith for the future of raiding now.

3. Class are boring. Yeah i know, itā€™s probably the same in Classic. But itā€™s more boring in BFA.

4. The community is more toxic that Classic. You can get canceled for a simple key dungeon or raid because of third party site that log your score / your DPS / your HPS. And also, when you are in pug raid, people donā€™t trade loot because of stupid Blizzard system (Azerithe armor) and stupid loot system (personal loot).

5. The world feel empty. To many zones and sharding ruined the world, and inter-server make me cry every time i never see a guy again. Itā€™s like sometime playing with random guy you will never encounter in the future.

1 Like

haha you got me!

I actually went to try a warrior on retail during HS cooldowns after reading thereā€™s no more stances in BFA.

I have never felt less invested and interested at any point while playing wow. It was actually borderline awful, I felt like spiderman jumping around and twirling. I tried nelf (wtf did they do to the faces??) then human and I just couldnā€™t see the point in any of it and iā€™m painfully aware retail has a guaranteed future. It just couldnt grab me at all

Iā€™m loving all the ā€˜oh no not meā€™ responses. Of course itā€™s not relevant to the people who never played BfA and/or have long given up on modern WoW, or those who are just here for Classic etc. Or if you are someone who played BfA and you are never going to darken their door again thatā€™s fine. Itā€™s all good :slight_smile:

However, there is a well established pattern in WoW that it sees a surge of players return (from various games/taking a break/got bored etc etc) every patch. Some never even left, they are still playing it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I think you might be underestimating how many of these responses come from players in the categories you list. Thereā€™s a reason I donā€™t have any toons above level 100 - I never even played Legion. I only played Warlords in the month before Legion dropped, and that was because Blizzard gave me the expansion and game time for free.

1 Like

Someone who hasnā€™t touched Legion isnā€™t going to go back for a patch in BfA. That was the point of my last post (that bit specifically about people who have never played BfA). However, this will not change that Retail will see a surge of returning players for the patch.

Both forums would be a lot better if they stopped worrying about the other version of the game constantly.

2 Likes

I very much doubt I will ever log in on retail again, unless the next expansion does a major level and gear squish (including reverting to ā€œrealā€ talent trees) to bring the game back towards what we have in classic. Not very likely, in other words.

I agree with all of this. Iā€™m just saying that I donā€™t think the surge can be found camping this thread, so Iā€™m fairly convinced of the sincerity of the responses.

I doubt many here will return to retail, some straddle both lines thoughā€¦ I know a couple of the old classic crew still do raid nights in retail - then come back for classic gameplay once the chores are done.

I personally quit retail after 2 weeks. Got bored of the mud colour and poorly themed sh!t show.

Seeā€¦ I can really relate to this. Especially the ā€˜missed having an actual MMORPGā€™ part.

I was running Scarlet Monastery recently on my Alliance Hunter. So itā€™s a bit of a trek back and forth, as you can imagine. And what with my quiver, ammo and limited bag space, Iā€™d find I often had to trek all the way back to civilization to sell up and buy new arrows / food for my pet and myself. So I had this weird situation where I was ranging the plagued forests of Tirisfal and Silverpine, crossing Lordramere lake and rolling fields of Hillsbradā€¦ To empty bags and restock.

A Hunter, returning to a distant town from the plagued northern wilds, before heading back out to face danger once more. To venture back into another wing of the dungeon. My literal class-fantasy Blizzard are now breaking their backs over trying to re-create in the modern MMO.

And while it was time-consuming as all heckā€¦ I loved it! And whatā€™s better, the groups I was with didnā€™t kick me! They were happy to wait. They went and sold / bought / leveled and we made the trip back together. And this led to some PvP in Hillsbrad, or fleeing high level Horde in Tirisfal. It led to battles outside the Monastery as we fought to get back in / not get nuked.

And so here we have the situation where I have found myself enjoying something fundamentally annoying and time-wasting. I had to walk ALL THE WAY back to Southshore, spend some of the money I made so I can actually do damage (arrow purchases), some food to feed my pet and then make the long journey back. Everything retail cut down. Nowadays I could literally sit myself in Orgrimmar/Stormwind and spam Dungeon Finder with my full set of Netherweave bags Iā€™ve had since I was level 15, only moving to sell to the nearest vendor.

ā€¦ That said, I havenā€™t entirely forsaken retail. Sure I havenā€™t played it since Classic came out, but I can see myself returning to it sporadically. I have a guild over there I love very, very much and Iā€™m very fond of all the people in it. If they werenā€™t there though? Hm.

2 Likes

you dont need to exploit layers to be full pre bis. You just need time. I dinged 60 in week 2 and was full pre bis in week 3. No layer exploits what so ever. Just dungeon grinds

And most players from my mythic raiding guild already stop logging into the Classic with few exceptions. Yesterday we had more players signed for raid night than ever before :smiley:

I myself reached 27 in Classic, two weeks ago and from then didnā€™t log in to classic yet and yes I started playing WoW in 2005 and loved classic back then so much :slight_smile:

But I just miss many of the QoL changes, updated graphics, etc. in Classic that I only play retail again (and yes, I would like retail to become more mmoRPG again)

Probably need to get back on the lootbox train, for that sweet sweet AP. Like I said. Chores. Absolute Chores.

Have you been raiding in 2005-2006? I was (as a warrior Main Tank) and I very well remember all the grinding I had to do to farm potions, consumables, etc. so say what you want but back then chores existed too :slight_smile:

Yeah thatā€™s true, although it didnā€™t feel like a chore. & it wasnā€™t always crucial. I can remember several raids not having done it and still succeeding. Canā€™t imagine many people succeeding without the minimum required 2k flat dps that HoA gives you.

Just saying, options are better than non options.

Off you pop sunshine, back on the ap train you go. Since you havenā€™t logged in or w.e.

Never.

When Iā€™m done with Classic itā€™s buh-bye WoW. Both the company and community are no longer in sync with what I like to see. Perhaps Iā€™m just outgrowing this game, or vice-versa.

Itā€™s fun for now, but I find it hard to find a guild on my server thatā€™s not infected with the BfA mentality - thatā€™s an issue I expected, but somehow itā€™s still disappointing.

3 Likes