Are there really no hope for RET in shadowlands? Stuck with Holy power?

Any beta players who played the ret in shadowlands beta? Does anyone know will there be major class changes to it? Right now currently, It’s just so awfull.Namely the notorious wheelchair + holy power system + uninteresting boring rotation + downgraded visuals…I don’t expect them to fix all those issues at once.But are they -all- coming to shadowlands as they are now? Unchanged? at all?

I just wanted to main my retri paladin in shadowlands but I dread playing this spec more then hour in it’s current state.

I just really like the blood knight theme, and I loved how fluid the spec was, both with animations and rotation in wotlk…It felt good.Nowdays…

2 Likes

I feel you, dude. I haven’t enjoy playing my Ret since WoD last patch. And it used to be my main before the whole revamp in Legion.

6 Likes

It really is downright boring currently.I yawn when playing my RET.
Kinda sucks too EU paladin forums are kinda dead. US isn’t that active either…where do people even give feedback on if not in the official blizzard forums…

1 Like

To be fair, the US forums is a little bit more active than the EU ones and their Paladin section idealogy for Ret is more in line with mine than the EU one. I find myself for the most part always in disagreement with the active posters on the EU forums when it comes to Rets’ design.

You will find that the only active posters on th EU forums are mostly those who thinks Ret is fine and that holy power must remain. Yet, most of them don’t even play their Ret. So, why are they so in favor of Holypower and the current design if they don’t even play it? It does not make any sense.

Whenever someone asks for Holypower to be removed, most of the time you will see that one guy who spams “I don’t like 123456… FCFS”. Because that’s how he would play before HolyPower if he even played Ret before that, he probably spammed 123456 and is assuming everyone was doing the same thing. This guy is more consistant than a Blue on the forums, in the Paladin section.

You know how some people believe when you say “bl**dy Mary” 3 times in front of a mirror, a scary figure would appear. Well, you can do that a 100 times it won’t happen, but whenever you say “remove holy power”, you can be sure that 90% of the time the guy will post in that topic.

Also, to answer you question about active forums, you might wanna try MMO-Champion forums, they may be more active, may be reddit too. I duno to be honest, I don’t spend alot of times on forums.

Shall we try to summon him? #removeholypower

3 Likes

Oh yeah I’ve encountered that mindset.After one point in argument they resolt to giving a .gif response after not being able to prove a sensible point on why they are defending holy power.I mean hell even if they were right, who the hell resorts to a .gif image response.

It’s kinda cringy.Why is it even a thing…feels like I am in Facebook or twitter.

Well thanks for the pointers.

If you look at the various streamer video, it’s the same with just a few more button to press, and i think a bit too many mandatory talent choices.
But the giant TV hammer from the sky from the lego is the best visual in game, period.

TBH ret is never going to chance unless we accept to give up wings. Until we have those, we will still be stuck into a slow very tight spec to balance out the too big of a burst of the wings.

There are other classes with burst windows.None of them are boring to play as much as Ret.

It’s not the wings, Ret had wings in TBC-Wotlk too.Was no issue back then.It’s the dreaded holy power ruining everything up for RET, and making the spec clunky + boring + uninspired.Imo.It’s the main issue and as it has always been since it came to Ret.

You can reduce the effect of the wings , while reducing the colddown it’s extremely doable, just few number changes.You can’t fix holy power issues like that easly, it needs a rework.

Combo point system for Paladin which genius came up with that…It literally managed to drive me away from Ret paladin each new expansion when I am looking to main it.I thought this one would be an exception, but doesn’t look like it.Oh well.

1 Like

Yeah but no other class has that much of a burst window. 20 sec with 20% increase dmg and crit, or 25 sec with 30% dmg and haste on ramp with crusade.

If you cut down wings, there will be an uproar. Imagine cutting down the only thing that make most low skill retri pop on the meters or win in pvp.
And you can do the same with ho-po, few numerical changes in the generation and you’re done, but then you’ll have a good sustain and too good of a burst, and you’re on square one.

Well if an entire spec is gonna get uproar due to one colddown dependency by it’s many players, maybe it’s past time they work on a class-rework.

I was sure they would pass some class reworks this time especially on classes with utmost boring rotations and resource systems like Ret + Shadow Priest etc., but damn they are too busy pushing down a auto-chess mini game with a mission table in shadowland it seems…

Maining paladin quickly became a boring idea if it’s staying as it’s.And many says it’s staying as it is /sigh.I couldn’t even play ret for few days in it’s current state…let alone thinking I would play this thing over the whole expansion in SL.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with your point but this is an unfair comment. The people working on the auto chess have no involvement with class design or development. It’s not one or the other these two things are unrelated from a human resources point of view

Ret deffinatly needs a rework.

You must got it wrong there.

I blamed the game director’s decision to add that auto-chess mission table things while so many more important class issues exists.I mean, it wasn’t really a calculated attack or anything, just pointing out it’s silly.The class balance team and auto-chess-thing team might be different but it’s not the point.Since I blame a different thing, namely their wrong focus.

Ah ok I fear you are correct and I misunderstood you. I think we can all agree blizzard should commit more resources and focus to classes and their core gameplay loops

Yeah, this time I thought their entire focus would be the class balance since many people are unhappy with that.Like it was their focus in MoP, and everyone pretty much loved MoP classes and how fun they were to play.

I find them tone-deaf while they focus on so many unasked things and gamble on if players will like those things, while the core issue is here as bright as day.

1 Like

Holy Power has been in the game for 10 years.

If you still dont find it the playstyle for you its safe to say Paladin isnt for you

4 Likes

Well, there is the good Holy Power iterations (like WoD); and the bad, like Legion…

4 Likes

We are not playing legion now, also what’s the difference?

1 Like

Doesn’t mean anything since Survival hunter was ranged for over 13+ years.If they are willing to change Ranged Spec to entirely different Melee spec, they can scrap holy power in a day.

I just like paladin overall other specs etc., when you don’t count the the currently boring RET.

Just asking to the people who played RET beta how it is this time.One can hope.

4 Likes

Never say on this forum Holy power can be functionnal!! You might regret it.

1 Like

Matter of opinions.
I’ve heard people enjoy Ret in Shadowlands

1 Like

I’ve heard differently.
Sure, some streamers and creator are basically in the lego movie on every beta update, everything is awesome, but outside them, the paladin discord have a different opinion.
Rotation is less clunky, there are good talent choices but actual dps output isn’t that great, and there is big debate on the covenant choices, mainly around the night fae blessings.

3 Likes