Assault on Darkshore seemed pointless

What part of the Worgen’s long and brutal history with Sylvanas did you miss? They could have been there, Greymane leading the final takedown but nah, I’m going too far. Too blind to see the suffering of other non-Kaldorei races.

That seemed quite in line with Tyrande to me. The campaign mission in Warcraft III - Eternity’s End - where Malfurion and Tyrande descent into the Barrow Dens to awaken the sleeping Druids comes to mind. When they come across Illidan’s prison it basically goes like this:

Tyrande: “We should free him, Furion!”
Malfurion: “I forbid it”.
Tyrande: “Only the godess may forbid me anything. I will free Illidan whether you like it or not.”

Tyrande digging her heels in regarding Darkshore is basically the same. Once she’s set on a course of action, she always seems to follow through.

I think this is the point though. Blizzard couldn’t really build on the “old” Night Elves, because they had too much going for them already. Blizzard gives themselves some creative space by decimating their home and most of their population - there’s an interesting foundation to build on from there.

As far as the Warfront itself goes, I think it’s mainly for gameplay purposes. Battle for Azeroth isn’t themed around the Night Elves and the development of their race. Blizzard have simply begun that story with the Burning of Teldrassil and the Darkshore Warfront. And then that story is probably frozen in time, so to speak, until the next expansion comes around. And then we’ll get chapter 2 of whatever the Night Elves intend to do. It’s a bit the same with the Forsaken. There’s some stuff that’s going to happen on that front too, but it’ll most likely first come to fruition by the end of Battle for Azeroth or the next expansion.

For now I think the Night Elves are in a very interesting place in terms of story. There’s a lot of stuff going on. They’re refugees in Stormwind. They’re trying to reclaim their lost land. Tyrande has become the Night Warrior. They all seem united in their cause.
That’s a good foundation for further story and gameplay, which I’m sure Blizzard will get around to in the next expansion.

I honestly think it’s all fine. I think people have to keep in mind that Blizzard can’t push forward all the storylines for all the races at the same time - let alone whilst trying to develop other story arcs as well, ones that are more central to the main plot of the expansion.
It takes time. Have patience. The Night Elf story development so far in Battle for Azeroth has been amazing in my opinion. Major events. Crucial moments. Iconic characters with lots of development. Good stuff.

5 Likes

Jito, we don’t need the Blizzard propaganda here.

1 Like

I am literally rolling on the floor laughing. Not at you, of course!

3 Likes

Kindly take your crap attitude elsewhere, thank you.

4 Likes

The problem is BfA so far has been thus.

JainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasTyrande-

Welp that’s Tyrande’s story, boy look at all that NElf story they got, back to JainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanasJainaSaurfangAnduinSylvanas.

The idea that the NElf story has had a proper conclusion or will even see one is laughable, given their track record with tying loose ends in past expansions (Of which there are many). They seem to get a headache if they’re not focusing on Saurfang or Sylvanas for five minutes right now and I don’t expect anything else to be revealed. Maybe I’m pessimistic but the interview just told me they don’t intend to elaborate any further on NElf stuff at all. Tyrande even shows up randomly in the Kul Tiran recruitment quest, so much for wanting to stay with her people? I guess Darkshore was won offscreen?

6 Likes

Your post was frankly laughable. I had to tell myself numerous times that it wasn’t a troll.

1 Like

Why?

Compare the Night Elf story development in Battle for Azeroth to that of the other races and it easily ranks among the top.

Trailer, warfront, short story, quest line… It’s all there. You may not personally like it, but the focus from Blizzard has obviously been given.

If you do the same assessment for other races, say Dwarves or Worgen or Trolls or whoever, then there’s obviously less going on - and in some cases; a lot less.

5 Likes

And your post was nothing but an insult. If you have nothing constructive to reply to me with, then kindly just keep your vile comments to yourself. Thank you.

2 Likes

You mistake my meaning, your post was such a counter-point to the lamentations I have grown used to reading since BFA started, and that amused me.

Though I must say I do not agree that the night elves got an amazing story.

3 Likes

The problem is they started it but then never finished it, but then go on to say “Yeah that’s done now lol”. That’s arguably worse, it’s like when a TV show leads up to something big, but then the next episode is taking place somewhere else and the show never goes back to that big thing for the rest of the season. Then when quizzed about it the director goes “Yeah we’re done with that, we just don’t have the time to tell SO MANY STORIES” while they’re also writing tons of episodes for the same characters/backdrops adnauseum.

3 Likes

There are some good ideas from the community, to add little questlines to see how the race is doing, and I think that’d work especially well in BfA. With the Horde disagreeing with the Warchief, and some races possibly disagreeing with the High King. And it’s a shame that Blizzard has even made small lore mistakes when making the Tauren questline (An’she’s gender, the name of the Tauren in Taur-ahe, etc.), which kinda proves that they aren’t putting enough work in it as they should.

For the rest of your post, I usually disagree with you but I must admit that it’s refreshing seeing this opinion.

3 Likes

Yes yes… This game should be about the night elves and them keep a supremacy above all…
Just another forum threat like this…

Could I presume to ask you about your opinion of Sylvanas and Teldrassil, my old friend?

2 Likes

You already know of this buddy xDD

Burn IT

3 Likes

Like I said, I think Battle for Azeroth is going to focus on the main plotline going forward. N’zoth, The World Soul, Saurfang, Sylvannas, Anduin, and so on. That’s what has to come to a conclusion by the end of the expansion. I mean, that’s the expansion story - and the expansion obviously has to have a meaningful, fully-told storyline from start to finish. And that is that.

The other story arcs that Blizzard are pursuing on the sideline don’t really have the same time urgency to them.
The Night Elves, the Forsaken, the Void Elves, the Nightborne, and so on, their storylines can easily span across multiple expansions. There’s no rush to reach any story “conclusion” there. It’s just supposed to continue over time. And most likely the next story push will come at the end of Battle for Azeroth or during the next expansion. That’s just the timetable WoW has for its storytelling. I mean, we’ve been through this before with the Dwarves and the Three Hammers, which was a story arc that took ages as well. The Trolls and Orcs and Humans and so on, have had their story arcs span countless expansions as well. I’d say it’s a good thing if Blizzard have started to also move the Night Elves story arc forward - not with the goal of quickly concluding it, but just to move it forward like they do for the other races (or some of them at least).

1 Like

This was before Tyrande knew that the Forsaken decided to just randomly blight the forest, making it pretty much uninhabital for Elune knows how many generations.

This was also befre they knew that the Forsaken to randomly decided to raise the deceased Kaldorei left and right.

Both of these things are so against what the Kaldorei stand for that Tyrande had no choice but to act, lest their death would get desecrated and the would have no home to fight for once the Blood War would be over.

Mind you; when Tyrande said she would stand with the Alliance and Anduin, the Horde would’ve captured Teldrassil(not burn it in a hissyfit) and perhaps chop down a small part of their sacred forest. Everything changed when Sylvanas decided to change her plans to scourged Earth(but otherway around).

So no, its not out of character for Tyrande go against the Alliance, since their knowledge of the Horde’s plans for Darkshore and their genocide of the helpless people in Teldrassil and Darnassus forced her to change her tactics.

(Don’t get me wrong, most races in Warcraft are victims of bad writing, like the Taurens not getting their revenge on the Dwarves in the Barrens, Trolls not getting revenge on Kul Tirans, Gnomes not on Troggs and Dwarves not on the Dark Irons, Worgen not on the Forsaken, Forsaken not on Arthas/Scourge, Blood Elves not on Arthas/Scourge or on Jaina and the Humans for Dalaran, or on the Forsaken for stuff or on the Burning Legion, Kil’jeaden for turning Keal’thas… Well the list goes on, really)

Yea, same. Desperation is kicking in. Personally, I think its not really a good idea to insult others, who have suffered as much or less then us, we’re all in the sae boat.

Man, you can have Jaina… Please take her. I’m done with her 6th Story arc and a zillion cinematics. If not for me, do it then because she and HolyBones are hogging the spotlight for Kul Tirans and Humans and because of that, no other interesting Humans can be written in.

Wish they gave the Gilneans a Gilnean district in Stormwind, tbf. They suited with the Humans better then with the Kaldorei anyways. But yea, Gnomes, Gilneans, Trolls deserve a proper capital before the Kaldorei. I could live with an updated Astranaar and Ashenvale as new zone. Or Auberdine and Darkshore… Or even Nighthaven in Moonglade.

Thats just bad writing. You can’t start a story with that and then “freeze” both races until it suits you. You just can’t.

7 Likes

I think the Warfront is more or less frozen in time, and so is the story events that go on there.

The Night Elves are basically fighting the Forsaken over Darkshore, just as The Alliance is fighting The Horde over Arathi.

The Warfronts basically exist in their own little gameplay & story time-pocket. Those conflicts will likely carry on until the end of the expansion, and then when the new expansion is released Blizzard will have decided how to continue in terms of story (retire the Warfront, give the land to whoever the chosen winner, for example).

Blizzard can’t really continue the Night Elves’ storyline whilst they have a Wafront that’s supposed to go on for the entire expansion. That means the Night Elf story is sort of on pause (by intention) until the expansion ends.

3 Likes

sure you can. ask the gnomes camped outside gnomeregan for the last 10 years, they’ll tell you

1 Like

Good point, but the fall of Gnomeregan wasn’t a GIANT ingame event spanning multiple weeks, some novella’s and sad Horde leaders. And like I stated; Gnomes deserve a Home before Night Elves do.

I do hope the Gnomish Heritage Armor Questline and Mechagon will add some interesting aspects to our little friends, Elune knows they deserve some love, more then any other.

1 Like