Bastion and the Night Warrior

How was Selenis punished ffs? It’s the realm she belongs to according to her personality.

We probably won’t ever hear how the Shadowlands were created, so any Night Elf struggling with their faith will have that out. And that seems to be the most important bit to me. I don’t really understand why it would be important if the Night Elf religion is right… but if the Night Elf religion was proven false, now that should have grave in-world consqeuences.

Luckily most religious types are quite good at keeping their faith, even when confronted with facts that contradict elements of it.

Not only religion. Imagine how many things Developers will have to do. Like they will have to change all dialogues of Night Elves npc. Also players emotions. There will be no more “For The Elune”, or “Elune-Adore”, or Priestess of the Elune e.t.c.
Uniqueness of the Kaldorei will be gone.

No, they don’t. How did you came to the idea that it will land on their to do list?

For all we know, Shandris returns to Azeroth after visiting Bastion and postulates it’s Elunes Will for the Kaldorei to embrace Blue Human Potential.

My point was not about the perspective of in-world characters, though. I was looking at it from a narrative PoV.

Because if everyone will find out that Elune does not exists, or she is just some kind of Machine, than Blizzard will have to this.
Because imagine when you will click on any Nelf npc, and npc will say Elune-Adore, or that npc will be Priestess of the Elune… Priestess of the non existing thing…
It will be the same as Garrosh and Sylvanas (2 Warchiefs) appearing in Orgrimmar in the same time… a bug…

What’s wrong worshipping a mashine tho? Flesh is weak y’know.

Well, from a narrative point of view… I don’t see a problem with either possibility. No matter if Elune created the Shadowlands, she is a small player there, or she doesn’t care about her followers, none of that is necessarily the start of a bad narrative. But since there is a lot of player investment riding on this, I would prefer it to just stay as mysterious as possible. As with all Elune stuff, really. Nothing kills a nice fantasy religion as much as a god you fully understand.

2 Likes

More like:
Spend your life as a badass elven zealot? BAM, Blue human innkeeper.

Went from “I’ll take your head if you move” to “I’ll take your coat if you please”.

To be honest, not a fan of how they are handling the afterlife.
Not a fan of Ardenweald, and definitely not a fan of Bastion. And we’ll see how they do Revenreth and Maldraxxus once it all starts getting unveiled.

2 Likes

clearly to be human is the ultimate form :wink:

Being stuck in the first role seems quite stressful. And not everyone who takes such a role does it, because they thoroughly enjoy being like that… Indeed, for some it might be a sacrifice they make to serve their people better. Making a serene life of simple service into something that might be quite a good fit.

As long as we are talking individuals, I don’t really see the problem here.

How dare you. If there’s one thing Night Elf players are always known for its their calm measured responses to everything!

Stay salty human haters stay salty :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Isn’t Bastion was about clearing off old personality of the soul, and creating a totally new personality?

More like shedding your attachments (including the attaching memories) and becoming perfectly virtuous. A self-cleansening project for good people to become perfect people, if you will. In theory.

The Thing is, absence of evidence of Elunes existence, isn’t evidence of her absence. You can’t really prove a negative.
4.2 Billion people on earth believe in God (including Jews and Muslims), even if todays state of the world clearly indicates his nonexistence and nobody can prove or disprove his existence.

Religious people are generally good at explaining things. If things are bad it’s a test of your faith, if things are good your faith is rewarded, if things are weird god’s ways are mysterious etc.
Why would the Nightelves feel different, even with a Elune-Bot made by Titans in the Sky, they propably would find an explanation to hold onto their faith.

And the former Night Warrior talking individual says this:
" Isn’t Anarros great? Look at all these cute little stewards resting after all their hard work! I just love taking care of everyone! "

Really?

1 Like

After cleansening the dark stuff she probably had to deal with all her life that made her take up the suicidal ritual? Doesn’t feel impossible or even that hard to believe to me, really.

I just don’t think this sort of transition sits well in these cases.

This is a setting that has different kinds of races that glorify from different angles martial prowess and warfare.
Having cases such as the Night Warrior, transitioning into this sort of “menial” afterlife roles, seems awfully weird.
Let alone that the theme itself fits rather badly with the Nigh elf one.

In this story, if i were to put myself in the shoes of the person involved (a “badass” warrior in life), or had the kind of mindset they marketed for several of the races, at this point i’d embrace an eternity of service with the Valarjar if only to avoid turning into a brainwashed Smurfette Innkeeper.

The fact that this happened to the notable Chosen One of Elune…kinda underwhelming in my opinion.

Should’ve seen this coming once they clarified what Bastion was about. But i’m still kinda surprised that even notable examples are to be “doomed” to the brainwashing.
Geez, talk about ignoring the merits achieved in life.

4 Likes

And it isn’t meant to fit the Night Elf theme. it is meant to be the story of one Night Elven character. A very exceptional one at that.