Be safe, your life is important

1. Never give personal information on line, on chat or in forums.
  2. If someone for some reason is stalking you, report it not just to the social media moderators, but to the Police.
  3. If you’re a minor inform your parents about the situation.
    Your life is more valuable than some embarrassment.

A recent thing that happened to a girl makes me post this.
There are a lot of psychos on line.

Be safe.

20 Likes

If only everyone had my type of parents, I was afraid of even telling people THE YEAR I was born in, for a very long time lmao. As in I was the only one born in that year xD

Btw, if it wasnt obvious due to the statement above, my name is not really Hans either :smiley: Thanks parents, now everyone call me Hans xD

4 Likes

Good parenting.

1 Like

Thanks for spreading such a cool message.

I often feel like the next generation of kids aren’t prepared enough to handle the internet.

However I also don’t think living in fear or phobia is the way to go.

I’d rather people be better informed in how to handle their own information better than to just tell them don’t and don’t!

I’d also like to point out that yes there are people out there that would go out of their way to travel to your location, and do bad things to you for any random reason.

Your information can easily be accessed for bad intentions, while it’s safe to be anonymous on the internet, it’s much safer to just avoid bad places and bad people on the net in general.

As complex as a computer looks, it’s nothing but very simple series building up to what you see infront of you, and it’s just as easy to decipher these to get any sort of information, you are much safer interacting with Friends and family than going in an online “poop throwing match”.

1 Like

Contacts on line are empty of substance, and they are too easy to create.
This creates a false familiarity feeling and a trust given based more on text or videos.
Those ways of first impressions let many things going under the normal human social relations radar.

No contacts on line are to be trusted, because their evolution is not only too fast but were also evolved in a sterilized environment.

You end up trusting someone for no reason.
Not because of the things you learned about them,
but because of the lack of the many more information
that you get when you evolve a relationship face to face.

Also when you give information to 1 person, it will almost definitely be spread to others, without your knowledge.

Keep on line things on line. and real life things for real life.

2 Likes

aye you often see topics return once in a year asking “where are you from” “what is your age/gender/name”

One of those might not give all the information they need to find you, but if you post on all of those without thinking about it then it should be possible to find those topics trough the search option

Especially girls should be careful with those topics, there are indeed alot of desperate(sometimes even psycho) people around

4 Likes

thanks dad. :heart:

4 Likes

Thing is, my brother met his wife online, today we celebrated their kid’s 3rd birthday.

If he was as cautious and scared on the net, today wouldn’t have happened.

It’s good to be cautious, but not too cautious for no reasoning.

I understand where you are coming from, that’s why I’d rather people be more educated than fearmongered, especially since youth tends to like rebel against such things.

I hear many stories about positive awesome online relationships that evolved into real life ones, and actually live in one… I also know about how horrible some online interactions can become.

It’s simply a matter of knowledge and education on how to deal with such things.

6 Likes

There is a difference between getting along with someone else in a game and deciding to meet irl. The problem is that there are some really creepy people out there starving for female attention.

there is a difference between sending creepy often sexual messages ( especially when finding some random persons information that was not meant for you to track them down) and being able to talk to someone like a normal person and asking for their contact information

A big problem is that the creepy kind of person that dwells in games often seems obsessed with the idea finding a gamer girl

No, it’s a matter of luck.
And it’s best not to allow luck to navigate our life.
Your brother and his wife, were lucky.
But the best policy is still: Don’t gamble on line.

Without trying to generalize too much, I have noticed this as well. Gen Z and even some late-born Millennials grew up with social media, and many without understanding the consequences of putting anything online–that the Internet is forever. What you say online stays online forever.

Most of us change over the years, but the Internet is forever. Whatever personal stuff you put online, or even just opinions, will remain pinned on you for the rest of your life. Changing names, avatars, accounts, etc, only masks that. Someone determined enough will find a paper trail.

Call me paranoid, but this is why I’ve personally been severely limiting myself on how I use social media :slight_smile: I’ve had friends at times post IRL pictures of me on Twitter, and I’ve had to politely ask them to take the photos down. It’s awkward, but putting a face on a fictional avatar leaves more surface area for someone with ill intent to dig stuff up about you.

1 Like

You can try to make it about generation, but lets face it there are also alot of people older than those generations with no self restraint or filter on the internet

5 Likes

This is true for sure, but I was more referencing folks who are putting highly-personal things up in public during their formative years. Assuming you are at least in your 20s, I am willing to bet that you’re a very different person now than when you were 15.

2 Likes

I think it’s more about the “times” we’re living.
“Authority” is discredited, there is no trust in Law enforcement,
the social tissue is broken, there are no values.
Self-check is practically non existent.
More people and with a lighter spirit, will do evil things today,
regardless if they’re 16 or 55.

2 Likes

My mum once knitted me a sweater with the wrong name on it so strangers wouldn’t seem like they knew me.

To be fair, I was always terrible with faces, especially at age 3, but it did make for some awkward conversations when I started school.

1 Like

Well, I’ve alway went through the internet with one thing on mind : We never know what tomorrow will be, and everything that is on internet remains forever.

The only picture of me through the internet is one from my school that I had no choice to do (if I wanted to stay). I tried to find, hopefully, it’s kinda hard since it’s not directly referenced with my name.

Really, what if tomorrow, a sick mind putch over my country and is fairly against people have a trait in common with me ? If he’ll be able to find out with the internet, I’m screwed.

What if Hitler had internet ? How many gay people (who survived by hiding themselves) would have died ?

You may think I’m paranoid, but tbh I don’t think so. And I never found social media that usefull anyway

2 Likes

You are right, yet at the same time i feel like someone in his 20’s like me got told way less about the dangers of the internet when i was 15 ( and i actually only got internet in my house when i was like 14). It still felt like common sense to me. Makes you wonder if the education and warning of the parents/teachers are that much different now

2 Likes

I’m 17 now and while all my schools were very modern the maximum we had was a “dont give out personal information online” talk.

yeah it makes sense but i guess in the end alot of people dont take it seriously unless they get burned by the consequences . wich is a shame it should be common sense to to give that kind of information.
Just like not accepting candy from strangers and getting into strangers peoples cars. /call uber

Too bad there is not a class where the only thing asked for an hour is “try to get the address of one your friend, online”.

That kind of thing hits ways more than a talk.