Becoming Empowered in Torghast causes the client to lag

As soon as I can become empowered in Torghast, i.e. the new bar crosses the threshold on the quest tracker, the whole client stutters continuously (drops fps, halts, then recovers). If I expend the power by pressing the button, the lag vanishes immediately. (i7-920, GTX970, W10,DX12)

It’s similar to the Resto Shaman Cloudburst pulse lag that still exists in the game.

2 Likes

As a quick follow up. The issue becomes worse with certain addons installed. It still exists on the base client but to a much, much lesser degree. It seems it’s related to excessive firing of events to update the extra button? Unsure.

/etrace screenshot
https://imgur.com/a/8BuqbKY

Adibuttonauras is one addon that amplifies this issue in a big way but any addon that modifies or scans actionbar buttons could also amplify this.

1 Like

Thank you, Its been driving me nuts trying to figure out why when the extra action button appears my client seems to have tons of microstutters. As you said, even disabling all addons causes the stutter still. I do hope this gets fixed.

Another thing I noticed is opening the map drops my fps by like 20fps (from 160+ to 130-140) and the camera becomes a bit hitchy too while the map is out.

I’m not using any map addons.

The longer you spend empowered (in total) the worse the lag gets. If you reload UI the lag is lessened. This suggests there’s a really bad LUA bug somewhere in Blizzards code. Running checks every frame or generating tables every frame or something ridiculous.

1 Like

I have same issue.

It has something to do with the game updating the players actionbar constantly I think. I disabled the extra action button and any events related to it but this stuttering bug remained. Something seems very wrong with the implementation of this empowerment UI.

1 Like

Can confirm that I’m also having issues with the stuttering in Torghast runs AS SOON as the Reinforcement Bar triggers the extra action button.
I’m on a i9-9900KF, NVidia GeForce RTX 2060, 32Go RAM, Win10, DX12.

Thanks to Raijin for all the data he collected. Maybe I could remove some addons. I do have a lot of them like AdiButtonAuras, Bartender 4, Shadowed Unit Frames, WeakAuras, Quartz, SexyMap, Altoholic… but until now, they never caused more than your minor “this quest item shortcut in the quest-tracker doesn’t work, gotta use the real item in the inventory” trouble that a good /reload can fix anyway.
I’ll try to do a /reload at the start of every floor just to see if that changes anything.

But I’m sorry to say, it feels like there’s some level of incompetence on Blizzard’s side, there.
9.1 has been out for weeks now, and I can’t believe this hasn’t been noticed at all during PTR, and that it hasn’t been fixed yet. It has to have been noticed by more people, right?
It makes Torghast runs REALLY harder to have such levels of stuttering. I freaking hope this doesn’t last until 9.2…

This needs to be fixed ASAP.

1 Like

Even without addons the stuttering gets bad to the point that it makes fire traps hard to avoid on some tilesets.

Sadly, Adibuttonauras really amplifies this issue. If you need some form of button buff highlighting you can try to find rButtonAura by Zork. It’s pretty old but does still work.

It’s far from user friendly and requires you to manually set up auras per action button but it’s not that hard if you’ve dabbled in some WoW addon coding.

I was curious if they had fixed this during wednesday’s maintenance so I ventured into Torghast to see for myself and they haven’t. I googled “stutterings in torghast” to find this post and haven’t done any further research into an aknowledgement statement from the boys and girls in blue.

So…have they…said something about this?

Yeah, you’re definitely right.
:unamused:

Here’s a clip I just recorded of me in a run of Torghast in Layer 1, with only two addons: AdiButtonAuras and Bartender 4. You can easily imagine how horrible things become in Layer 11 or 12. Oh, yeah, and I’m playing in French for unspeakable reasons.
:stuck_out_tongue:

At 3:30 in the video, I burst on the last boss and start running around to show the sudden difference in performance.

PS : if you notice some icons in the Anima Power Pop-ups are super big, it’s because I’m using the HD icons from Heroes of the Storm to replace some old icons from the game. Works GRRRREAT for my action bars… less so for Torghast.
:rofl:

1 Like