32 - Legion
31 - WoD
30 - MoP
29 - Cataclysm
28 - Cataclysm
27 - Wrath
26 - Burning Crusade
25 - Vanilla

The last 10 years were just wars, blood and gore… But yet, Alliance and Horde keep fighting. Every other faction quest is “go kill dozen other faction units”. Both Legion and BfA allied races heavily suffered from civil wars.

I think it’s safe to assume that the next expansion would have some common enemy making Horde and Alliance unite. But after that - WoW 10.0 is released, we are fighting again and both factions suddenly got massive armies of 2-year-old babies…

5 Likes

Garrosh was kind enough to build several cloning machines for everyone.

4 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the RTS mechanics are canon.

125 Gold will get you a brand new Footman to join the Alliance. 200 gold will net you a Grunt to fight for the Horde. That’s why Garrosh needed the Goblins - Grunts are too expensive so Varian was able to outspend him!

6 Likes

explains why anduin never bought any gass masks for his troops they was all easily replaceable vs the cost of the gass masks

i mean why would you spend 200+ gold for a gass mask when the troop your protecting is only worth 125

1 Like

Because Blizzard dumbed you down even though they wrote your backstory as “a very wise beyond his years leader”.

That is somewhat your problem there is a rough timeline in cronicles that gives a few years for each exp (more or less) each one isnt a year only.

…but it is. The 1 year per addon timeline was first seen on Blizzard’s official site and confirmed in Blizzard’s Ultimate Visual Guide, but the shoddy dating within the Chonicles actually does match it, as far as it goes. The Chronicles end at Cataclysm, though.

So… yes, it is Blizzard’s problem and not just the poster’s. Look it up.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Timeline

5 Likes

Aint no condoms in Goldshire Inn baby

3 Likes

Or maybe there die less people than you think in these wars?

The deeper truth is that most races in WoW work like Hydras.

You cleave a footman in two and two more footmen arise from the corpse. That’s how the wars keep escalating and it plays into Sylvanas grand plan - With each dead civilian, there’s two more but they keep dying and reproducing in that fire. By now, there’s a massive army of Night Elven carpenters, tailors and shoemakers around, ready to viciously saw and sew in her name!

Even with his countless tentacles, N’zoth will not be able to compete on the manufacture market anymore, so she will corner him and buy him out piece by piece until he, too, will serve her new brand “Death”.

On a more serious note?

The writers just don’t care. Half the playable races are just survivors of a previous mass murder in the first place, which are then sent into a relentless meat grinder over and over.

You couldn’t do any plots except barely scaping by if numbers mattered. So there is always enough of X to do Y and when they go around trying to wrench hearts with the whole “We’re conscripting farmers now” schtick, it rings kinda hollow.

5 Likes

Perhaps Mitosis. This was my theory on Ogre reproduction anyway, but perhaps it applies to all Azeroth’s races.

Just a fun fact: Someone on the old forums used Varians line in the MoP beginning cinematic (“200 ships at my disposal”) and calculated the size of the population of Stormwind. He used the British Empire in the year 1800 as a reference point (because funnily enough the Royal Navy had a similar size during that time). Long story short: The population would need to be in the millions in order to support such a fleet. And that’s without the army and the air force, and the army is often stated to the largest one in the entire Alliance.

Potentially hundreds of thousands of soldiers and all are equipped with plate armor.

1 Like

Alliance ships do seem to be smaller and have smaller crews than real-life counterparts during the height of the Age of Sail - judging mostly by cinematics, since we obviously can’t take the in-game ships with a crew of like 5 people literally. “200 ships” also doesn’t mean “200 first-rate battleships”, most ships in WarCraft are shown to be a lot smaller. Even the “naval powers”, the Zandalari and Kul Tiras, are shown mostly using frigates.

That said, Stormwind is just the capital city of a kingdom that spans an entire climate zone from jungles at their southern border to full-on a desert at their northern edges.

Millions of inhabitants isn’t impossible for a nation that size - though of course, if we assume other races to have comparable numbers, it raises the question of where all the Orcs come from, since there obviously weren’t a million of them going across the ocean with Thrall, but their population in Kalimdor isn’t ridiculously tiny compared to Stormwind. Same with Darkspear trolls, Draenei, Mag’har Orcs, and the Nightborne who did just have one city…

Yeah, I think I stand with my original idea. We just build new soldiers at the Barracks one at a time.

Sometimes you forget Stormwind isn’t actually the entire kingdom, “only” the capital city.

1 Like

Resurrection.

Stormwind has one type of common ship:

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/3/35/Ships_zeppelins_flying_machine_Legion_trailer.jpg?version=96d79490a2425890a48736977ee2420e

https://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/blizzcon-2015-world-of-warcraft-cinematics-panel-transcript-00252.jpg

These ships have 20-24 cannons or a similar number (depending on the model used) and would be rated as “post ships” or sixth rate meaning that they would have a crew of 140-160 people. Also, yes I am using the 3D-cinematic-models because the ingame world is scaled down significantly including the ships.

Stormwind has several things going for it which would make a somewhat ridiculously large population feasible: They have harvest golems for agriculture, priests, paladins and mages to deal with ‘regular’ diseases (the plague…not the magical one but the ‘Black Death’ one) and even some early form of industry.

Well the city of Rome had a population of one million during the height of the Roman Empire. Considering that nightborne children do exist they seemingly didn’t stop to procreate even with the bubble around them.

This doesn’t explain the orcs, but we could argue that Thrall didn’t gather the entire Horde but only a decently large force to establish a base in Kalimdor. This would neatly explain why the Frostwolves still live in Alterac or Stonard in the Swamp of Sorrows.

Still: Every race in Warcraft would probably need a population of millions. And even the smallest race like the draenei would still have a population of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousand (one Exarch in Northrend speaks about how he will send two regiments of soldiers to Northrend in a few months…thousands of draenei soldiers).

I could actually be quite fun to estimate the population of every race trying to use quotes, statements and other facts from all over the place.

The next expansion will see the heroes fighting off armies of babies and toddlers.
Now the burning tree doesn’t look so bad at all!

Toddler-punting…FOR HONOR!

You shouldn’t think of it as that way, there will always be enough soldiers for another story. The same problem is in Warhammer Fantasy, the elves who are a dying race still manage to get huge armies and go to war, it is apart of the story telling and you shouldn’t look into it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.