Black, flickering boxes

Hello, for the past two Nvidia driver updates this situation has been increasingly worse: I came back to the game about two months ago on a new device which i will paste its dxdiag down below, the first few weeks the game ran insanely smooth for what expectations i’ve had (90fps in open world environment on full low setings apart from distance 10, and about 55-65 fps in raids where the gpu is more demanding). Few weeks after, nvidia notified me of a new driver update which i automatically instaled thinking its beneficial, after that, while playing the game ,i noticed small one or two black boxes ocasionally flickering at the edge between structures and the skybox. After another nvidia driver update, these flickerings went all out and started appear everywhere, with ocasionally character hair going completely black, trees flickering too, but game still running on 70-90 fps constantly. Nvidia no longer offers me the chance to roll back to the older version and i found no trace of rollback posibility from windows 10 either.
https ://imgur.com/a/fg51GOX here is a video of how hard the flickering is. Now, i tried every type of nvidia 3D control pannel setting that solved other people’s simmilar problem that i’ve found on the wow forums: anti-aliasing settings, repair wow, reinstal driver, reinstall the game, switching from directX 12 to 11, tuning every video settings up to the max/ or down. Thinking is a problem of gpu being too weak, i tried some old expansion private servers ( wotlk and legion, where it worked completely normally with no flickering boxes, and bfa 8.2, working normally with no flickering boxes.)

System Information

Time of this report: 9/3/2020, 14:14:59
         Machine name: DESKTOP-2LR85BS
           Machine Id: {22558596-36E5-4534-A5C6-E2ACFAFB99C8}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  System Manufacturer: Acer
         System Model: Aspire A315-55G
                 BIOS: V1.11 (type: UEFI)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
               Memory: 8192MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 7910MB RAM
            Page File: 9910MB used, 3631MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

I found a way to stop the skybox from flickering completely, by turning from 1080 resolution to 720 both windows and ingame, but the game looks almost like minecraft now :).
So, the final question is: is there any way to rollback to the previous driver version, or get the option to instal a certain version of the driver?

P.S : i’ve made a ticket a few weeks ago to customer support, refferencing this issue, and the answer i got is that my specs are so weak and i quote ,should have not been able to launch the game at all". So please do not send me back to asking blizzard customer support again, there were people on the forums bragging about this issue with 2080 TI’s.

Assuming you have a GeForce GPU you can find older drivers here https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/drivers/

So what is your GPU exactly? I can see your CPU in the dxdiag but the GPU isn’t mentioned.

1 Like

Hi there!

So we do totally understand how frustrating it is to have graphical issues, but unfortunately if you are indeed below Minimum Required Specifications, we’re limited in how we can help, although rolling back your drivers may help. :slight_smile:

Yours,

Arythwinn

Based on the laptop model it’s likely MX230. It’s low but still more than the minimal Intel UHD :wink: The artifacts are either a driver regression (which is somewhat recurring thing for WoW it seems) or GPU having problems (VRAM or the GPU chip itself dying or having an OC that became less stable).

This is indeed the most efficient method of fixing this issue, too bad technical support blizzard employees conceal their lack of knowledge by taking advantage of the fact that they see its below minimum req = issue found for most blue replies i’ve seen across multiple technical support forum threads.
I’ve went back to 442.50 which is the update before the black flickering boxes. And now i can play 1080 now without fps drops/ flickering boxes. And sorry for didn’t seeing that the gpu is not mentioned ,it’s indeed MX230 2gb.

I mean if it’s a driver problem then even if you meet min requirements they’d just tell you to contact Nvidia. Blizzard tech support don’t deal with 3rd party software/hardware. Only thing they are expected to do is identify such conflicts.