Bring back Mage Tower before March

Since it will be up again throughout the entire lifetime of WoW, you have all the time in the world to wait for a week that suits you, and do it then. Or do one challenge / legion timewalking, or something like that. There’s no need to do it all in a single week.

Do some preparations if you want to while it isn’t up, go in when it is, have a few tries while your friends are offline, then go do whatever you’d do otherwise, and come back next time if need be, with more preparation, more knowledge, whatsoever.

This is not a good argument. It’s something a 12 year old me would say, when the only thing I was doing was attending elementary school classes, and playing wow.

If you’re an adult, alot of other responsibilities can quickly fill your week up, meaning you won’t have the time to actually play, even if you do all the preparations beforehand. If content is tied to let’s say 1 week every 4 months, that’s a very bad design by any means.

3 Likes

If you’re an adult, you can also quickly realize that things will come around again, and if you can’t make it one week, you’ll try making it the next time. It’s not going away, there’s no rush, so if you can’t make it when it is around, no big deal, it will come around again.

Trying to FOMO it out as soon as possible is what 12 year old me would have done. But I’m an adult now with two kids, and unpredictable play times, so I’ll just do what a normal person would do: don’t sweat it, I’ll finish collecting the stuff from the mage tower, eventually. It might take a few years, doesn’t matter.

If I wanted to dish it out in one go, I would’ve done so the first time it was around: it was announced way ahead of time, you had ample time to prepare, and a month or so to do it. Even with the holidays, that’s a lot of time.

It also means that you won’t spend your entire playtime in the mage tower until you completed it all, but take it in reasonable slices, one week at a time.

We had 0 time to prepare since it took weeks to find out what was actually needed. And since it is for gear a lot of stuff from before my time i have no idea what the guides talk about. I had time for 2 mage towers during the first 4 weeks. Realistically i am not able to do 1 in 1 week time. Sure i am not “sweating it”, but it could have been fun to have around. Now it isn’t. I am not sure why it is taken into a “12 year old” vs “adult” discussion, or about FOMO. I already have a mount or transmogs. There is nothing to miss.

We had ample time to prepare alts and get them some gear, and read up on the fights, etc. We didn’t need to go in blind. Maybe not with the BiS setup, and knowing everything, but reading up, buying some consumables, setting time aside are all preparation.

Now I have no idea about that, either.

So if it comes back March, it’s all the same, really. Less “nerf magetower” threads 'till then, whee!

be glad it returns at all XD

I fully understand your opinion and your way of playing, but from what you’re writing, I’m getting a sense you’re not very competitive. Your approach to the game is what’s actually the best. Majority of the playerbase (myself included), are highly competitive. If I get something to work towards, I would knock it off my list as soon as possible, mage tower included.

What bothers me though, or which conflict I’m having right now, is the fact that I want to complete stuff thrown at me, but also want to prioritize my real life over a stupid video game. This conflict is occuring only due to time limited or FOMO playstuff.

Mage tower was released in december. Thank god I’m a ‘good player’, since I completed all 7 challenges in 12 days from the release (would be even sooner if it wasn’t for december). December is the month of family, hanging out, drinking, eating etc. I was constantly torn (due to my competitivness and completionism) between doing the things, and living my real life (obviously I choose my real life over anything, as said, luckily I’m quite good so I completed it fairly quickly).

What I’m trying to say overall, is that I understand what you’re trying to say and respect your way of playing, but we can agree that FOMO rewards / content are not healthy for the game. Your example / your playstyle is a minority, while mine is a majority. All that being said, I don’t expect the mage tower be up constantly (I even made a thread about it, that it should be up every TW though, meaning every 3 weeks). You have to understand it like this aswell, some challenges are very hard to do right now. For example, if you have IRL responsibilities, and you start progressing the MT on sunday (it was released on wednesday’s reset), you may not finish it due to the difficulty curve. This essentially means that you won’t complete it, and you will forget most of it before the next one arrives in 3 months time. Is this a good design? No. Is this healthy for the game? Absolutely not.

1 Like

Realistically i can not do 1 per week, so it is way less ‘wheee’ having fun. I think it is fine to throw my oppinion here on the forums and ask for longer/more uptime of the mage tower so i can also have more fun with the game. Because with this i am not going to bother at all. The implementation decided it is not for me. I think i can do that without “sweating it” and in an adult manner.

I understand it is not needed for you since you are simply a better player. Probably also a longer player, and probably also understand how to prepare for things liks this. But i don’t understand it. Even trying to understand the current wowhead guides is a big challenge in itself, and i am failing at it.

2 Likes

Then prioritize real life over a stupid video game and stop caring about fomo stuff or time limited content.

A few options:

• stop caring completely and just play
  • play when / whatever you want to do and enjoy that, even if it means running around 1 of the zones for 30 minutes on a mount.

If the above doesnt work: quit wow and completely remove this fomo attitude from your life to prioritize said life.

But choosing a game over your real life isnt healthy and if it gets to that point what you said, its time to evaluate your views on games / life etc.

Wow, thanks for missing the actual point by a mile. Did you even read the post and understand it?

I’m clearly doing so. Especially this:

BUT it’s sometimes impossible to do so with FOMO content (luckily my stars were aligned and I’m good at the game so I beat the 7/7 MT, but the majority isn’t), they SPENT tons of resources developing it, and we can’t play it due to reasons I mentioned above. I feel your arguments were written with the sole purpose of arguing / negating my view.

FOMO stuff and rewards are unhealthy for the game. Period. Nothing to discuss here. If you negate this, you are just in your own bubble.

Imagine buying a new car, and you can only drive it on saturday. During the week you can’t use it because it isn’t available to you.

1 Like

Its rehashed content from 2 expansions ago which did see alot of playthrough and development time back then.

This time around its a small piece of candy dangling in front of people’s faces to draw away from the fact there is no relevant content for the last few months and leading up to 9.2.
So tbh i dont see where this TON of resources were spent since it was a huge thing in Legion and saw a ton of use back then.

And no my reaction isnt written for argueing, but you surely made it sound like you have this hard choice between life and a videogame and start to attack said videogame about having to make that choice.

People can express their opinions on this forum, just as you.
I totally disagree with fomo rewards being bad or unhealthy for the game, the way people handle them make it unhealthy.

Ow look at my shiny armor i got from this time limited event and i am now better as you because i could throw 7 hours at the game when you couldnt. That is a bad attitude.

That analogy isnt correct.
The car would be WoW, and if you have a said option (lets say airconditioning) you can only use said airconditioning during the summer or for x many weeks a year.

The car is there always, but only your AC wouldnt be working some months of the year.
And the mage tower is just that, its around a couple of times a year because its part of an event. And a bonus feature for the game you are playing

Alright, let’s say I agree on this. What you wrote is 100% correct. Meanwhile if we look at the game, this is the only bit of content (excluding the Legion M+) that we got since Korthia / SOD released. It wouldn’t hurt that we had it until 9.2. released, since there is literally nothing to do at the moment. Even myself probably won’t sub until maybe 1-2 weeks before 9.2. (and yes, I never postponed my sub since 2016). If MT would still be active, I would most probably try the MT every here and there, now I literally don’t even login.

This is a bad example. If you think I’m against the FOMO rewards since I have them and can now brag about them, you are wrong. I already explained above why FOMO rewards and content is bad for the game. If you don’t agree, that’s 100% fine though. I see your points, you made several constructive comments regarding it which I ofcourse fully respect. We will just agree to disagree I suppose.

Well it’s quite the same actually. What you wrote, is in my eyes, the same as what I wrote, just a bit more detailed example. I want to use my AC whenever I want to. Maybe AC is a bit different example, since you obviously don’t use it during winter, but let’s give this example.

One of my most useful features in my car, is the projection on my windshield. My car has a nice way of showing all the useful information (speed, rpm, songs, navigation) on my window, so I don’t have to look at the dashboard. It’s one of the reasons I bought it actually (so is mage tower one of the big reasons people came back in 9.1.5. since it was so massively marketed by Blizzard). If I had a limited time to use it (2 months out of a year), I would actually be fuming mad, and would return the car back. Same feeling is with wow, atleast for me anyways.

As said, if you disagree and have a different opinion, that’s fine. Atleast Imagine what the world would look like if we were all the same :smiley:

1 Like

I never said or wanted to imply you have or show this attitude.
Although said attitude can be found and people somehow want to use said rewards to act different.

Thats where my issue lies with this. The rewards themself bring a nice incentive to play and keep you motivated to work for it.

Well, not sure if people came back massively for it.
Yes it was somewhat popular for people but also worked up a lot of disappointment / sadness and outright mad people for different reason (tuning of said mage tower among others)

If you only bought wow or play wow for said mage tower you can now unsub i guess till it returns again with the next legion timewalking event.

Remember you would return your car because whatever option is a limited time feature, and since WoW is the car and the mage tower the limited time feature you might aswell unsub.

Thats 99% of my own reply rehashed in your words. (No content atm except mage tower etc etc)

Furthermore, i doubt if mage tower would “fix” that problem, you might throw some more time into it even tho you completed all 7 different challenges. That would mean 5 times more the same challenge on a different tank etc.

And even if it would work for you, i feel like you are one of the few.
And then i still would doubt if it would keep people entertained for multiple weeks.

Which would then spark threads like this anyway, bottomline: 9.2 is taking too long.

A bit surprised at the debate : yes those who are asking for MT to be available more often will be perfectly able to survive even if they miss the next week in March and the next one in July.

But the real question is not whether we can live without ever touching the MT - which we definitely can, no need to argue about this - but whether it better for players to have easy access to the content or not.

I haven’t seen any valid reason so far explaining how the inavailability of the MT for months on end makes the game better and more enjoyable for the players. Especially when the MT makes up most of the “content” of patch 9.1.5.

Even during Legion you never had three full months in a row when the MT was unavailable.

2 Likes

Here lies the problem:
Thinking the MT is ‘‘content’’ of 9.1.5, when it is in reality part of the calendar events known as timewalking.

Putting it on the calendar just because they introduced Legion time walking the same time 9.1.5 did hit.

The mage tower is simply part of timewalking event that is in the calendar as any other timewalking event.
With your logic, every timewalking event (TBC or Cata or WOTLK) should be open anytime anywhere no matter of it being a calendar event.

And so does every other calendar event, i would like the Shadowlands Dungeon event every week because a weekly chance of a 239 heroic item would be amazing to gear my alts.

MT is clearly very different from the “usual” part of calendar events, which are just super easy bonuses which can be done in a very short time and which are pretty much interchangeable.

But anyway the main point is that there are many players who would be happy if MT was available more often on one side, so the point of threads like this is to let Blizzard know.

My belief is that Blizzard will see more benefit in making the people who want the Mage Tower up more often happy than following those who don’t want it for reasons that remain obscure for me - for instance Damae I can read the arguments that you make against this but I still don’t understand the fundamental reason why you wouldn’t want it, much less why your personal gameplay experience would be harmed if the MT was available, let’s say, every time a timewalking event of any epoch (so not just Legion) was up.

Doesnt matter.
Mage tower is marketed and pushed into Timewalking Legion events combined with Legion Timewalking M+.

It has been designed to be part of the timewalking week which appears on the calendar and happens every x many weeks.

I have no issue with it opening more often, but i just disagree with the notion of certain people saying: it would keep me playing longer or whatever, since its all content we have seen before with only ‘‘7 options’’ even tho we have more specs and classes than that.

And also people saying it really brought something to the game in 9.1.5.

The discussion shouldnt be about opening MT more, but about the lack of content in patches like 9.1.5 (and so many other .5 patches in the past)
But this is not discussed and people are like: omg roar roflstomp more mage tower.

But it should be: we want more content in patches which is new and refreshing instead of re-used assets from before.

Of course we want more content in patches, and yes that is obviously the priority. But this topic is about the MT which we also want more. it is not this or that. It is both.

But you will get more mage tower, each and every rotation when the timewalking legion event comes around.

Its separate from 9.1.5, but people keep confusing it that 9.1.5 was the patch and reason we had mage tower.
But it wasnt at all.

The only thing 9.1.5 patch did was actually implement the event into the calendar and make it a possible event to occur.
With a ‘‘look at us being cool from blizzard’’ with 2 weeks of timewalking and almost 6 weeks of mage tower because we can.

Thats it.

And i dont see the whole appeal of the mage tower and why it would be so beneficial to bring it back asap or for longer since its not even challenging most of the times.

I am getting no MT. I am not good enough to finish 1 in a week without taking free from work and spending every second in there. I was able to do 2 in 4 weeks. I am simply not going to bother with it now. It is like it does not exist. But there would have been an opportunity, and that is more/longer uptime of it.

And this all has nothing to do with a patch number.