Burnt out or something else?

Someone just posted that they are already bored of SL and after reading I couldn’t help but agree. I feel the same but I can’t fully explain why that is and I’m not sure other people understand either.

To provide some background;

I played during vanilla then started taking breaks from the game around Cata. I loosely played WOD and Legion and even less of BFA - Around Cata I felt a separation from the game that I had never felt before, as if I didn’t know or relate to the people who were playing any longer and since that point it hasn’t improved, if anything it’s gotten worse!

Anyway, among the breaks I decided to quit but after a year away I returned for Shadowlands, I seem to keep coming back because of memories, etc and the old pre-expansion excitement.
Well, after the initial enjoyment of settling in (sampling the new cosmetics, aesthetics, etc) the questing started and it very quickly felt empty again. For some reason I just dont feel the ‘Umph’ of killing things and I just don’t seem to know whether items improve or reduce my capability so the connection to items and my character is no longer there (apart from the aesthetics).

Also, no one speaks and no one has spoken in a few expansions now. In years gone by if people didnt speak they (some) would at least use some emotes now and again to communicate but that too has completely gone so I’m left wondering why the game is even online anymore which makes me sad because I feel it’s a sign of the times within gaming - that people simply don’t talk (as much) anymore. They flame, yes, but on the whole it seems the social aspect in the world itself is completely dead and I wonder if this a generational thing as it’s not just in WOW.

Anyway, I don’t know if I’m burnt out or whether it’s more to do with the evolution of the players (outside of WOW) that has killed off a large part of what made the game enjoyable, the social dynamic which, in hindsight, seemed to be the glue that held everything together.

As far as polish goes and everything working the way you want you couldn’t ask for a better game but I’m beginning to feel that I’m not conditioned to play modern WOW.

19 Likes

Loads of people feeling this way, personally, I can’t stand the “modern” WoW since legion. However, classic is still here for the folks looking for a MMORPG. Ok, it has it’s flaws with boosting etc., but you can ignore those if you wish so, and play the game like it used to.

6 Likes

Something else. WoW is not unlike Coca-Cola or Pepsi, which is advertised as a “beverage” you can drink when you’re thirsty. In reality, not only it will make you thirsty, but it will also make you fat. So, at this stage the game should not be advertised as something social. Those are very false claims.

3 Likes

Its simple WoW is no longer proper mmorpg. Its medicore singleplayers game what you can play with other players. Problem is that this desing doesnt have audience outside of compettive dungeon/raid runners. Modern game sitn appealing to mmorpg playrers and to who is are minority. Give it 3-4 weeks and people will mass quit and game will have ltieraly again its score audiecen what only thing they care aboout is spamming instnaced content.

9 Likes

Only ever cared about raids and pvp personally. Pvp been well obnoxious since legion for obvious reasons like scaling. Raiding been the same for a lot of the same reasons like mandatory daily tasks just to keep up and actually feel ready. RNG based progression and infinitive power grinds. I was never programmed not to be able to have a finish line, a goal. BiS is always and was super important for me coz it fel like a accomplishment, and than you could focus on your logs and what not afterwards. Dunno how much of this is present in SL, have not bought it yet since game is unplayable anyways for now with the servers, and yea hue durr play on a server non of your friends are on and that is dead in 6 months. Makes tons of sense, not.

1 Like

Feel the same but still looking forward to endgame…

15 min talking to npcs and running simulator then 30 min in maw then 45 min talking to npcs and running simultaor in bastion then questing when you actually have to kill something starts but it rewards you 80ilv gear :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: who has idea that prepatch will be giving free 100-110 ilvl gear when in sl its 80ilvl like are guys normal what are you smoking?

So in summary for first 3 hours im bored af too…no new gear because its freaking 20 ilvl lower then what poorest peasant have, no action only talking - im not shocked people are bored really

2 Likes

This happened to me at the start of BfA. I played it for 4 days then left for about 8 months.

It’s burnout, plain and simple. Get another game, jump on Cyberpunk in a couple weeks… have a break from WoW. It’ll peak your interest again eventually.

3 Likes

I am still exited but that might be because i didn’t read anything at all about SL or watch any videos at all didn’t even know the main quest hub citys name before i got there so everything is pretty much all new to me.

5 Likes

It’s burnout imo, i could barely level up to the max in WoD, even Mop was a strech… but when Legion hit i was all refreshed and enjoyed the heck outta it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be bored if I was allowed to play the game, but with all the time gated content I am stuck sitting idle in Sinfall. GG

I love raiding too so I think I’ll start by finding a social guild and see if that improves things.

don’t think they understand that it needs to change at it’s core, i feel it’s stagnant for anyone that’s been here a while and a piece here and a piece there won’t change that, yes it’s very nice to have shattering throw back, yes it’s nice to have something new to look at but going through that whole cycle again of inevitably redundant professions, chasing gear and numbers to your ears is just so hollow…
i can’t bring myself to buy Shadowlands so i’m not in a position to judge but i do know that little has changed over the years, i don’t feel ‘burnt out’ but i do want to feel connected to the game again and i just don’t.
i really feel they need to take a chance and ‘re-originate’ it from the ground up…
or just drop the game and go netflix…:frowning:

1 Like

I feel the same.

I’ve played since 2007 and have absolutely loved the game since. I think the game has changed a lot overall and I don’t really enjoy it as much anymore. I’m also older too. Obviously.

I’ve gotten to level 56 so far in Shadowlands and I don’t really care about continuing to be perfectly honest. Normally I’d be insanely hyped for a new expansion but meh, I don’t really care. The only reason I bought the expansion on Sunday night was because of more U.K. lockdowns etc and winter coming. I had next to zero enthusiasm for the new expansion.

Glad many others still love the game though.

1 Like

I’ve been playing since end Cataclysm and I must agree that after a while the ‘magic’ kinda dissolves.
I have more fun figuring out puzzles in the game and exploring or adding to my lore knowledge, killing mobs has become agonisingly boring after 10+ quests
On the social aspect, I feel that the story is immensely based on ‘you’ the ‘hero’ and well its become bit of a single player game, (I don’t play a lot nowadays because of school, so I’m not really complaining about this too much) quite more accessible for people who don’t regularly play.

Although a bit more socializing would be nice.

1 Like

Hell I’m bored after being back for less than a week after a 3 year break.
WoW just isn’t much fun anymore, now it could be that for me most of the people I played with in Vanilla/TBC/Wrath have since left or moved on (different servers), so for me there is no longer a social aspect.

But personally I think it’s the shotgun effect of having too much to do none of which means anything. Too much focus on end game and too little in how you get there. And the level squish has made that worse (I appreciate I’m late to that but as I said been back a week).

3 Likes

Raid Shadowlands anyone?
What you don’t have phones??
The future is now old man!!

This dude has it right. Stay ignorant and it’ll be more fresh.

Otherwise the intro takes too much time and the quest seem too railroaded to me

The game is fine and isn’t burnt out. You guys just complain and moan about everything. Anyone who likes classic has no prospects or taste. One of the two.

1 Like

Speak for yourself, but this “anyone” from vanilla enjoys shadowlands very much.
Lack of connection is clear sign of burnout imo, or maybe the current ‘thing’ just doesn’t click for your taste… I felt kinda same for MoP, most people seem to like it, i just never really got into it… everything felt bland and boring except class balance.

But anyhow, game isn’t stagnant for all old timers, just some of them.

I know the feeling. The leveling this time bores me to tears. I sm not sure why either. I am lvl 52 and in bastion, and I really have a hard time going on. The zone and the npcs there all look the same.
The only upside is the fantastic owl people. :hugs:

3 Likes