Can someone help me with these AMD issues?

I have a Windows 10 x64, AMD APU A8-7410 with R5 integrated + R5 M335 laptop on which I play WoW.
The issues I have are the following:

• game freezing with or without entire laptop freezing, I can avoid freezing with alt+tab and open another application, maximize it and keep it in foreground until WoW returns to normal(sometimes this doesn’t work and I am hit with a BSOD, this started to happen with the latest driver) ;
  • game starts to show artifacts + tearing all over the screen and makes the game unplayable; the fix is to close the game open device manager and restart the M335 GPU driver;

I don’t usually play with addons, and these issues happen without any addons enabled, it happens randomly.
I am writing here to check if anyone else got hit by these problems on their AMD based machines and if they fixed them somehow.

Have you checked temperatures of your systems? Might be overheating based on those symptoms, or GPU maybe breaking based on the second symptom.

Temperature is in normal limits, it’s GPU based but I am hoping some setting I can change on it which would at least reduce the number of time this happens.

Make sure you disable any overlays you don’t absolutely need.

I found that the AMD “Adrenaline” overlay was causing my system freezes, once I disabled that, the problem resolved itself.

I don’t know if I have it and how to deactivate.
I looked in settings but cannot find any references to it.
I have 19.4.2 version.

Edit: Looked a bit online to check where the setting should be and I don’t seem to have any option about it in Preferences.

• Start up the Radeon Settings control pannel.
  • Click the house icon in the bottom left.
  • Then click “Preferences”, second to left at the bottom.
  • Look for “Show Overlay”, it defaults to On, so remove the tick from it, which changes it to Off.

Link to an image below, that might help locate it.

https://imgur.com/a/5U4klgJ
1 Like

Hey Karebrew,

Have you tried to re-install the driver completely? Before installing the latest driver again, use a Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current driver fully first.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Ty but I don’t have that option.

@Nenyasqi
Yes, multiple driver versions. With AMD I learned that driver update should always be: uninstall current driver -> reboot -> install new version -> reboot.
Windows is also up-to-date.
I think these started with patch 7.2, but cannot be sure (need to look at screenshot when I made for a post I never managed to make), I didn’t made a big deal because the occurence was very rare in Legion.
In BfA the occurence of these issues are a lot more frequent which makes me unreliable for any group content. I get freezes at least 2 times / hour and 1 - 2 times of screen artifacts per game session.
Seems that screen artifacts are more frequent when I am staying in one place for a long time, like times when look at appearance tab at appearances

I have a Vega 56, only drivers that work with Wow are 18.12.1, every other drivers causes errors.

Thanks mate. Before I install it, though, can you tell me if you are using Windows 10 by any chance?

All of the 19 series drivers have been good for me if you haven’t tried it yet try 19.4.1 driver it’s really good.

Have you tried cleaning out all of the vents on your laptop?

The artifacts could be caused by overheating if you can out make sure you aren’t plugged in to the wall and take the battery out if you can if not make sure it is switched off and not in standby mode then very carefully use the flexible nozzle on your vacuum cleaner to go over the vents to clean some of the dust out, but cans of compressed air are the best to use pretty cheap to get you can get them from most places online and one can will last you ages. I normally get mine from amazon even if you live in a relatively dust free house you would be surprised how much dust builds up inside your case.

I tried both 19.4.1 and 19.4.2, they introduced another type of error: Wattman errors.
It’s pretty clean to be honest, I clean it periodically.
All errors appear randomly, including the artifacts, and can start appearing from character selection screen right after a fresh boot-up. Only restarting the driver seems to repair it.
Thanks for the input.

What do the artifacts dose it happen in anything else or just WoW if you have any games a bit more demanding you could try? could you take a screen shot and post a link?

If your APU supports WattMan you could try lowering the GPU core clock by 10-20mhz see if it still happens.

I can’t find my past screenshot, but will make one as soon as I can.
To describe them, I can say: small geometrical forms flickering all over the screen(in-game only).
WoW is the only game I saw this happen in.

Can you take a screenshot of that for us, and link to it here as Preformatted text </>.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

1 Like
https://imgur.com/pQzckK2

Lowering GPU clock might do the trick, I had 2 sessions with lowered GPU clock(like Allnon mentioned) and maximised power limit, with no issue. After I reset driver settings it happened in a few minutes.

I have a Vega 56, only drivers that work with Wow are 18.12.1, every other drivers causes errors.

Didn’t worked, had 1 fps when entering the game.