Can we please skip the Cataclysm expansion for WoW Classic?

Just skip WoW as a whole…It’s old and well they said it themselves “no king rules forever”

Not even the undead Lich King?

Keep on With WoW Classic until Q3 2020 where Blizzard introduces a reworked The Burning Crusade expansion with flying mounts removed for all eternity.

I’ve already explained why that’s my position. Your concern seems to be that TBC and/or WotLK servers would end up killing Classic, but if those expansions end up being that popular that they outright kill Classic, then that just means that Classic has run its course.

Besides, #NoChanges only applies to the idea of making changes to Classic. TBC and WotLK are completely independent of Classic and do as such not concern this demographic.

It peaked in numbers essentially due to the success of TBC and due to the part of the lore involved in it.

I know that is subjective, but for me it was one of the unfunniest expacs, from the get go. What i felt from playing the first months of TBC relatively to the first months of Wotlk is like comparing night and day.

1 Like

Yet there’s no sensible reason why a #nochanges policy shouldn’t apply to TBC/WotLK either, if they were re-released like Classic was.

This is not to say that TBC and WotLK didn’t have their flaws. But Classic also had - just look at all the threads that popped up on battlenet throughout this year and the one before about all sort of changes - guild banks, class balance, Honor rank system, BGs, raids, etc.

Any change Blizzard would implement in TBC or WotLK would inevitably cause a backlash in the community, no matter what said change is. Especially when it comes to a core in-game feature like flying or LFD.

(the X-realm nature of LFD is a bit of a more contentious point in terms of how entrenched it is in the game, but given how Blizzard is pursuing X-realm BGs in Vanilla there’s no doubt a LFD in WotLK would be X-realm too)

Ultimately, releasing the games as they were is the choice that is least likely to cause drama among the populace, and the more defensible from Blizzard’s perspective. #nochanges was upheld with Classic for a reason - a reason that largely applies to any Legacy project.

I didn’t like it either in the end, but only a fool would deny that WotLK certainly has a public for it - one large enough to sustain at least a minimal amount of populated WotLK realms across US, Europe, and Asia (not sure about French/German/Oceania etc., but that shouldn’t really be a deal breaker either way)

WotLK was the beginning of the downward spiral, imo.
Almost everything I don’t like about retail WoW (up until the end of MoP when I quit) took a solid foothold in WotLK.

2 Likes

They will do either TBC Classic or Classic 1.13+ Content and i would prefer Classic+ content but TBC Classic would be fun too. The furthest they will go is WotLK Classic but people wont be that hyped for WotLK Classic as they were for Classic or would be for TBC Classic. I somehow doubt they are gonna do WotLK Classic.

I’d love to get not a single one of the expansions, but just some qol and tweaks from the experience added. As long as it fits the original WORLD of Warcraft. But please no level cap increase and arbitrary “only works up to level X” and all that crud.

Priority #1 should be to keep the world coherent (the root mistake that was made) and not have things in there that can’t even be explained by the magic.

Why would you skip Cata? The raids were good, class balance was amazing, de-bloated old style talent trees, good gearing systems.

Just keep Heroics hard and dont introduce LFR and Cata was a kino expac

1 Like

TBC introduces to much idiotic stuff that killed the open world. Flying mounts, resilience, pvp-ruined with arena balancing and gear, power creep ruined all “old” content making it impossible to make old Azeroth any place to be afterwards, class homogeneous removing class flavors in an effort to make 4 major classes(rangeddps,melee dps, tank, healer) there by killing of any support roll and uniqueness of classes. RPG elements removed by all this just to “fix” minor stuff.

So what they should do instead of going down that road of ruining the greatest game ever is: this time really understand what an mmorpg should be and do the hard thing not the easy quick fix that everyone and their grandma think they should have.

Wow classic is the reason why tbc and wotlk had so high numbers. Those where good games and something new at the time and people had no way of going back to classic. But the core that made those game good was the greatest game ever. (Not a perfect game at all but best mmorpg of all time!) World of Warcraft!

So my take is either they do it right classic+ or even better World of Warcraft 2 (new game engine, state of the art graphic (no cartoony retail), expand and make all old zones bigger, keep rpg feeling and class uniqueness, don’t need to balance all around 1v1 pvp or endgame raiding! And 100 of small stories and quests)

Or they don’t do anything #nochanges and keep servers and start new fresh ones from time to time.

1 Like

So you want to skip the best expansion on par with TBC and Legion, but you want to play the ugliest one WoTLK

Somehow it feels to me like you’ve never been in the open world in TBC, because it hardly felt “dead” to me.

People keep saying “flying killed the world”, but aside from going to dungeons and maybe farming herb/mine nodes, you still need to get on the ground to do things. Questing, fishing, farming mobs for mats… you still need to be on the ground to do those things, and this exposes you to competition and wPvP. Many areas in Nagrand, Shadowmoon Valley, Netherstorm etc. that had relevant mobs were constantly busy on most realms.

Resilience is even more mysterious to me - how did resilience “kill” the world? Just because a fully geared Warlock or Priest can no longer be oneshotted by a Rogue in blues, now it means that the world is dead? If anything, resilience made fights more interesting IMO, by adding a much needed degree of survivability. Not to mention that, in TBC, it still wasn’t as strong as in WotLK and later - a full SWP-geared Rogue or Warlock could still obliterate a S4-geared character if they caught him offguard.

Besides, even in Vanilla the best PvP gear came from instanced content (Battlegrounds, and especially Raids), so Arena is hardly a new offender in this sense.

First of all, if you’ve ever played in STV or Tanaris on a TBC PvP server, you’d know the old world is not really as dead as you’re implying.

Second… if they ever were to release TBC servers, why would I care that most of my gameplay happens in Outland? If I ever want to relive Azeroth, I can go back to Classic and have my fun there. If I play TBC, I want to play TBC content. Same thing with WotLK. This may have been an argument back in 2006-08, but it’s moot now.

Wait what? TBC removed absolutely NOTHING from classes, compared to Vanilla. If anything, it added more and more options. Shamans and Paladins, in particular, became a lot more distinct and unique in TBC compared to Vanilla. Healers also acquired definite and different playstyles in TBC. The homogeneization didn’t really begin until WotLK.

What RPG elements are you even talking about, here?

1 Like

people dont matter

reusing old content which makes f…ton of money matters.

but sure keep living in dreamland that release of classic was for “community”

I may not like WOTLK, but we’d be anything but genuine if we say that a re-release wouldn’t draw a humongous crowd. Truth is, it’s the expac where a big portion of the players started, as well as the first expac for TBC starters, and a lot of thethemn remember it fondly. There’s also the fact that it’s a much more streamlined game, which will help it in terms of modern gamers.

1 Like

I don’t like the changed world in Cata.

Alright, i guess the aesthetic part of catas world redesign was kind of questionable but the improvements into quest flow and zone coherence is an upgrade i will take any day of the week.

You know, as crazy as it may sound, i think it feels good when your quest lines are actually a coherent story and have a clear beginning and end and the zone doesnt just abruptly start and stop at arbitary level ranges

You have that in Retail… implement the Cataclysm expansion and WoW Classic has no reason to exist.

Did i say they should have deathwing flying over the zones of classic burning down people running to clear MC anywhere in that text? Jesus christ you people have thinner skin than a butterfly, ANY mention of ANYTHING about classic that just isn’t bad game design but is bad MMO design and you yell ‘‘BACKTORETAIL BACKTORETAIL BACKTORETAIL’’

Pipe down, bad storytelling isn’t good game design, im not asking them to change classic i just pointed out to your previous claim that the cataclysm world revamp was all bad that it had its positives and its negatives

It’s like holding a conversation on twitter posting on these forums, everyone is on edge like some private server owner is holding a gun to their head

Cata destroyed WoW… there I said it… now go back to Retail.