Can't decide on monitor

I have recently built a custom pc that has high-end specs like i9-10900K and RTX 3090. It will arrive in about a month. And just before you rant; I will be also using it for professional film editing, so not for only playing WoW or some other games. Now, it is necessary to get a relevant monitor but I just can’t seem to decide.

I want my monitor to be 4K (27’’), have max. 4 ms response, be around 144Hz, preferably g-sync that won’t have background bleeding or a minimal degree bleeding if it would. And what I definitely don’t want is a noisy monitor. Here the problem starts… Apparently all the monitors that are both 4k and high frequency have this fan noise issue due to having an integrated fan to prevent heating since they almost function like a computer which is so disappointing to me. I can’t stand background noise. I hear all sorts of pitch and even incredibly low volume of sound easily. Also, I don’t use headphones other than for sound editing or when I’m on discord etc ‘cause I get pretty bad side-effects from it.

I’m stuck with a very few options as for what specs I want with a monitor. All the corresponding brands/models – as far as I’ve seen from all kinds of reviews on Amazon etc – (like Asus rog, Acer nitro or predator) make pretty noticeable and disturbing sound and/or have ridiculous amount of background bleeding. But my main concern is that I will be exposed to that sound right in front of my face if I were to choose one of them. I’d appreciate any comment from people that has/had any experience/knowledge on this subject.

1 Like

be aware that you can’t trust the response time listed on the spec sheet if you were doing that. you have to look through reviews to find the real number.

bleeding is pretty normal, unfortunately. it varies from unit to unit, so some will be better or worse than others, but that’s impossible to say before you buy it. i suppose you could keep buying and sending back monitors until you get one with minimal bleeding.

27" 4k high refresh are very limited as you’ve noticed, so there’s not a whole lot to do if the ones that exist don’t fit what you want. briefly looking around i also saw the acer cp3271kp which you don’t sem to have mentioned, perhaps have a look at that too (no idea if it’s any good, just saw it). seems to be aimed a little more at creative use.

or you get a pro grade monitor like an asus proart or something, which will be quite expensive and i would be surpried if they are 144hz. but i don’t know anything about that so i’m not gonna say much about it.

as for your fan problem, i’m not sure there’s anything you can do about that. unless of course you mod the monitor to replace the cooling solution with something quieter.

1 Like

There are 144hz and 165hz 4K monitors but you’re going to have to get a really decent GPU and CPU to go along with it.

Not mid range, but high range here. Top Ryzen which is overclocked or a Threadripper that has been overclocked.

So you’re looking at custom actual watercooling here for probably both CPU and GPU to get 4K at 144fps or 165fps on highest graphical settings.

The best you can do right now cheaper is 60fps with 4K. It’ll take another 2 generations maybe to improve on this performance to get more cheaper parts to get to do 100+fps with all the bells and whistles enabled.

So 3090 for GPU definitely with AMD equiv. And 5900x minimal or 5950x for Ryzen and 5960x to 5990x for Threadripper when those come out next year.

That’s if you want ultra graphical settings, DLSS may help lower the specs a bit though. Also depends on game code optimisation. Can see lower spec machines getting decent 4K from Doom Eternal. (That game seems to run well on anything you throw at it.)

144-165hz 4K monitors is really future proofing at this time.

1 Like

As Retier said, 4k at 144hz is very niche

I went with a Samsung 1440p, 144Hz, VA panel 32 inch curved. It is pretty reasonable priced too

Samsung CJ52

Getting a 4k high refresh rate is hard to find, you’ll see one get excited only to find its’ refresh rate capped at 60/75.

I honestly spent hours going down that rabbit hole, if ever you need advice on monitors and such listen to Retier and Hoisho, invaluable knowledge and advice

You’re looking at a 3090 at least if you want 144fps on 4K with all bells and whistles on. Plus a 3950x, 5950x or Intel equivalent.

Those that do this usually have custom watercooling on both CPU and GPU so that they can push the cards more to gain those FPS.

4K gaming is getting there but wait another generation at least to see if it’s improved.

Hands down is the monitor I have which is a Asus Rog pg27uq. Its a 27" with a 144hz overdrive option. It even has a fan built in that keeps the monitor cool

A lot of people complain about the fan noise of the monitor you use. You don’t have such issue or you just don’t mind?

Got to cool the 1,000 nits somehow, brighter the LEDs are, the warmer they get.

Can you suggest one of them, please?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.