Change login screen and music?

Hello, I’m wondering if there is a way to change the retail log in, character select and music, to one from the previous expansions?

3 Likes

No, there’s not, sadly… (as far as I know). But I’d love to have the TBC one, so much nostalgia :pensive:

1 Like

The music could be doable, the background scene/movie i have no idea about.

But it wouldn’t be a very user-friendly method.

If you extract the wow data file, or use a site like wow.tools to browse it’s contents, you’ll find all music files (and other files) are in there somewhere.

Example:
https://wow.tools/files/#search=sound%2Fmusic%2Fbattleforazeroth&page=1&sort=1&desc=asc
You can preview (listen) and download the files there as well, most music is either in mp3 or ogg form.

If you were to find the exact path/filename of the current music, let’s for example say it’s:
sound/music/battleforazeroth/mus_735_pointofimpact_battle_h.mp3
(obviously this is not the login music but just some random other thing)

Then you can recreate that same path in your wow directory (by creating a sound folder, creating a music folder within that, …) and then store a different music file in there, under the same filename, so in this example mus_735_pointofimpact_battle_h.mp3.

That should result in the game playing that music instead. Of course both the original and the replacement have to be the same format (both ogg , or both mp3).

So, theoretically you should be able to find & download the TBC music, and store it with the filename of BFA music.

I haven’t tested this for music, but it works with other files like fonts and i suspect the same is true for music and movies and the like.

4 Likes

Seems like a lot of work, to be honest. I did something very similar in my Sims 4 replacing the music files with the ones from Sims 1 and 2. It ended up being a mess of songs, the original ones had to be muted, some of them didn’t even work or straight up crashed or got mixed between each other.

I’d only recommend this if y’all have enough patience and are really careful with this stuff, otherwise it’d be a pain in the :peach: to do or fix. If it’s only for the ‘‘nostalgia’’ effect I don’t see it worthy nor user-friendly, but that’s up to anyone.

Oh yea, i totally agree, it’s why i said it’s not very user-friendly :wink:
But it can be done at least.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.