Choosing between Frost or Fire mage

Hey guys!

I’m leveling a new Allied Race (Void Elf) as a mage. Currently I can’t seem to decided between Fire or Frost, Arcane doesn’t really interest me that much. So please let me know which you prefer and why :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Both completely different. Frost is brilliant cos slows and sustained AoE damage.

Fire is brilliant for movement, burst damage, and has stuns.

Both are very viable in raid, PvP and m+. So honestly have a play and see what you like. Fire has a more complex rotation and not forgiving at all,if you miss time skills in combustion phase.

1 Like

Frost is awsome, It slows stuff, so you die alot less

1 Like

I prefer frost.

It has an easy rotation (for me, don’t start with EVERYTHING IS EASY HURR DURR), it feels more fast for me, and i kinda like all the mogs fitting a frost mage :smiley:

But i think fire is more good for pvp.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha! Sounds like a nice spec to start off with! Thank you :slight_smile:

Important thing about mage is to not get stuck in one spec. Arcane today is mostly redundant and if they changed arcane into a support healing class I think most mages wouldn’t notice :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for summarizing that for me! It really sounds like I’ll be going for Frost as a start. I guess I’ll give Fire a go in the future after reaching max :slight_smile: I really appreciate the reply! Thank you :3

1 Like

Fire for pvp, ugh… rip me.

frost is “better”
fire’s more fun

1 Like

When I played my mage alt, I actually found myself having more fun with Fire, but being less touchable with Frost.

In my opinion, they are both great and it all depends on your playstyle. Mage is an overall fun class to play.

1 Like

I’ve always been a fire mage, even in Vanilla when everything seemed to have “Immune to Fire”

Watching things burn in front of you can’t be matched with a few snow flakes and an icicle.

2 Likes

Do arcane is boring and useless?

That does sound like a reasonable idea to go Fire actually :smiley:

In one word, I would say, for levelling purposes: Frost for kiting, Fire for explosions.

There was a time when I would have said to level as Frost, end of story. Since Blizzard boosted Fire’s crit chance at low levels/low gear in Legion, though, Fire is much better than it used to be for levelling.

My suggestion would be to switch specs every 5 levels. That way you will get a good feel for both specs as you go, get your own feel for how they play, and be comfortable with both when you hit 120. You will start to get a feel for the full specs about level 60; below that, you just don’t have enough of the toolkits to make an informed choice.

1 Like

Ive been maining this hunter since 2007, and I never thought id like another class as much as hunter (yesyes, its easy, but i love it) Frost mage is the only spec that makes me doubt if i should switch mains. Its fast, its fun, and you dont even die much.

Bet you rocked the meters in MC then :smiley:

A lot of people seem to suggest frost, with good reason. So I think you will follow their advice, so here is my contribution then: while leveling your mage, pull a lot of mobs, like a lot and learn to kite them with pet freeze, frost nova, blizzard and so on. You will kill everything a lot slower but you will kill a lot of things and most importantly you will teach yourself how to kite mobs properly, mainly through mistakes. One day your group in m+ will thank you (well they wont but still) for it.

2 Likes

Fire is fun. pew pew pew and the enemy (or you) is dead.

1 Like

Oh yes, I was first on everybodies invite list :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.