Class Design the real problem?

I leveled my Monk first this expansion (Mained for last 3 expansions). Monks are fun but the talents are pretty much set in stone, leggos are boring and again set and forget with zero interesting builds and after leveling a few other classes they all seem to suffer the same issues.

These issues range from ( i get that most of this applies to min maxing but it still holds sway):

A dominant spec that stays that way a full expansion,

A spec thats completely under-tuned or broken.

Poor/boring legendary/conduit choices.

Forced to go a specific covenant to be get the most out of a spec or one ability is OP (who didnt see that coming). I want to go a mage but the fact Night fae is the go to for all specs puts me off, have you seen that flying mount? lol

Dead talents, like theres not even any point in changing talents. So many abilities should be base line to open up different builds. I thought conduits would do this but nah.

Dominant soulbinds, again set and forget. Shouldve been build in a way that ones for pure dps, ones for survivability and ones for pvp or something.

Unpruning seems to have been a failure as they unpruned for the sake rather than what thec lasses actually needed.

I have this growing feeling that strong talent tree would remove the need for conduits, leggos, and soulbinds. It would also mean you jump into the group content you want to do rather than have to grind out weeks of renown for soulbind catch up, leggo catch up and conduits.

If the classes played well and had more frequent balance patches people would have more motivation to play more tedious content.

1 Like

The guy who designed the monk class left Blizzard a couple of months ago.

2 Likes

If it’s that recent, then good, he was doing a terrible job. Been downhill since Legion began.

Give me back my MoP/WoD monk.

Legion? I’d argue they butchered Monk after MoP.

1 Like

Either way, if the class designer only left a few months ago, I’m glad he’s gone and hope they replace him with someone who likes the class.

1 Like

Class design is problem since end of legion where we destroyed our AP weapons
They fix it over 2 year of BFA but still have lot more to fix

Nearly all specs have only 1 or 2 viable builds. Loads of talents are completely dead. I main unholy dk. There is 1 talent build for all the pve content.

I have a radical idea. Hear me out. What if… and i know this sounds crazy, what if devs focused on the classes between expansions instead of creating 69 different systems that will be a nightmare to balance and will be completely scrapped in the next 2 years?
Maybe then classes wouldn’t stagnate for 6 years with minimal development? And maybe we wouldn’t need to rely on completely broken systems to fix the classes that do not work on their own?

8 Likes

You put it in a way i was trying to get too lol

He hadn’t worked on monk for quite some time then, he only did their legendaries in SL and otherwise was doing other stuff. He designed the original mw and ww specs in mop.

That guy actually created the class in the first place.

Most classes/specs in SL are just absolutely boring to play they feel slow and because aoe was nerfed farming stuff or doing old content feels like a complete chore.

Even overly pruned husks of the classes we had after mop were more fun to play what we currently have and the messed up scaling makes them feel even worse.

It began in wod…

Mop had the best class design by far imho…and it is a core problem of the game…if your class plays like :poop: then no amount of content can save the game…

1 Like

This is true for pretty much every class. The core problem is the talent and spec system.

In order for it to be good we need talent trees that allow us to mix and match talents between specs, and changing your talents should cost around 100g the first time you do it, going up to 15k gold, which drops down by 50% every week you don’t swap your talents, until ultimately it gets by to 100. Vanilla style.

Of course, all classes will have bis talents for various purposes, but because of the insane gold cost on swapping talents, players will have to choose what they want to do and pick talents accordingly, and sometimes that would include picking non-bis talents because it makes you overall better.

The unpruning on warrior is a failure, with all warriors getting skills they can never conceivably use in combat. Talking about shield skills on fury and arms for example - you will NEVER use these skills. If you’re in a position where you can swap your mainhand weapon with a 1h and a shield, you’re in a position where you can swap spec to prot and not play some gimped garbage half-class.

1 Like

You mean like azerite respeccing which was reviled by every individual who had the misfortune of being affected by it?

1 Like

Agree about MOP
I skip WOD came back in legion and AP weapons and classes were very smooth and it was fun to play but after they take it away in BFA classes since then feels bad to play that’s why i said it
Now in SL you can feel that bad design too but it is a lot better cause they fix many things but still blizzard needs to work harder to fix what they destroyed over 6 years.
They put back lot of useless spells disguest behind UNPRUNING

Yeah the game realy misses those talent trees. even if they insist on diablofying the game id prefer if you could modify base spells to do different things like diablo i.e. turning a shield slam into an aoe shield slam or one with a charge but that should be to augment a talent tree. talents should enhance or modify a base kit.

Most of the talent trees we have just now could pretty much all be baseline stuff. Not changing a single talent is getting boring. Id change up my WW to use serenity but losing whirling dragon punch makes it feel clunky. The other talent in that row just isnt even worth looking at.

The comparison isn’t applicable. The reason why some of us had to respec azerite so much is the RNG in access to azerite traits, so making a perfect azerite build that didn’t require respeccing was tough. Most players could farm multiple azerite sets, but because of the RNG and overall low item drop rate, this wasn’t a reliable way of getting the gear you need.

There’s no RNG access to your own talents.

Blizz knows unlimited talent respeccing should not be a thing. All the borrowed power systems they put in place exist solely because at its core, the game has nothing.

If we want borrowed power gone, old complexity needs to come back and take its rightful place. Yes, this means gold sinks on every decision you as a player make.

I have a second shadow priest I use for pvp because this one has to be night fae. That should tell you what I think of their current mindset.

1 Like

Then I can only assume that either someone directly told him to ruin it, or he went a lil loopy.

Don’t know any monks who think taking stun off FoF, or chi away from MW, was a good thing… Especially when holy paladins have a similar mechanic to chi and it’s considered just fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.