Classic Plus Story

I think he still isn’t over Horde getting playable Elves after 12 years.

1 Like

Actually, I would prefer Quel’thalas as a Scourge-zone, since that makes most sense to me after WCIII, but you do you.

1 Like

Personal preference third faction called illidari added. Once we expand the original Outland.
Blood elves, fel orcs, Naga and draenei. Balance problem solved in one row.

You can that to classic+.

1 Like

Make Quel’thalas an undead zone, they can be controlled by a dreadlord instead of LK for some diversity, in the Outland patch we kill Kael and all the remaining blood elves who still exist (sorry, not much left per W3). And there’s not enough high elves to become their own race, so they just stay around as background npcs.

Bam, elf problem solved.

I wouldn’t care for it. I hate the gameplay of Classic and the writers for it would be the same quality as retail.

If Blizzard do “Classic+“ it should be from TBC or Wrath onwards, not Vanilla.

2 Likes

No point in that. Arenas are in, so are needless dungeon difficulties, flying, dailies, you can just play retail, that’s your TBC+.

3 Likes

Nah. It’s not. I want TBC servers.

2 Likes

No. I would like the story not to follow retail. I would like to keep only these 4 races per faction. And to keep the idea of “Exploring the World of Warcraft”.

As much as I would like for them to change the TBC story, I’m not for classic+.

It would require a lot of retcons to pull off and the current lore is already all over the place.

Good or bad, like it or not this has been the story for 15 years and I’d want it to remain as it is.

Creating classic+ stories would create too much confusion.

2 Likes

Are you sure?
It’s pretty much the same gameplay.

Different endgame goals. Eversong/Ghostlands questing is an upgrade, so I’ll at least be able to make it past level 20. Time to level is reduced up to 60. More specs are viable so I can play my ret.

Having things I actually want to do at endgame is a huge motivating factor for me. Classic’s endgame just doesn’t appeal.
Plus I’ve played TBC and made it to 37 and would have gone higher if not for mitigating factors not related to the content of the game itself.

And admittedly, the class fantasy of playing a Blood Elf Paladin at their peak lore is a huge motivator for me. I’m just not feeling it playing my Human Mage on Classic.

1 Like

There is a huge chance of Blizzard making TBC servers. Solely depends on the success of classic tho.

1 Like

Nice topic Glib.
Here’s something to help your topic.
A discussion that’s been going on US on when things started to go wrong in WoW story:

Majority of opinions says it started during Cataclysm period.

I have a different opinion.
It started from the very first expansion.
Heck if I could go back to Warcraft 3 lore I wouldn’t even think twice …

But let us assume we start from classic period.
I can even add a possible timeline that would connect both realms.

Mortal Kombat 9.
In that dimension the heroes lost.
Everyone died.
Raiden before dieing sent a message to his past self warning of future events.
So Mk11 events are in a alternative future of what should had happened.

That could be the setting for Classic+.
A time line used to prevent what happens in the future.

This is what I would change:

• Stop killing big name characters;
    Examples: Arthas, Kael’thas, Vash, Cairne, Blackwing, Deathwing, Archimonde, Kil’Jaeden, etc.
  • As stated by other players, bring back adventure.
    The player character should not be a murderhobo.
    That’s a stupid message to send in a game they want to portrait as “Good Vs Evil” or put any moral values in it as we been seeing with Christie Golden.
  • Enough with Faction Wars leave them for PvP and Battlegrounds.
    The moment that Thrall Horde crossed the line with Garrosh, it meant a return to Orgrim Doomhammer Horde, so a similar end should had taken place.
    Sadly for me, since I am a Horde player, that would mean the Alliance dismantling the Horde.
    Activision Blizzard showed they are completely incapable of writing faction wars since they refuse to let one faction win. Because they know the minute that happens they will lose half of their platy base.
    So now Thrall knows, he is walking a very thin line, cross it and the Horde is no more.
  • Alliance is civilized races, Horde is tribal races.
    Enough with the silly non sensical races add-ons.
  • Orcs should be the most played race in the Horde, the lore should portrait them as the most humanoid race in the Horde, making them the most chosen.
    As the Humans on the Alliance.
  • Make gear be lore related.
    Meaning stop changing weapons and gear all the time.
    Things should be hard to obtaining and every piece of gear should have their own story behind.
    Even the most rusted swords or the most decaying, shield.
  • Raid local places, free towns, help people out, help rebuild places, learn professions, help rebuild Azeroth instead of destroying it every day.

That’s just some of my thoughts.
Thanks for your attention.
Cheers.

1 Like

Again, I am not really interested in anyone’s opinion if Classic+ should happen. This is supposed to be a hypothetical about how it hould happen, if it does.

So I’ll give a few of my own thoughts on the matter…

I think Classic+ additions should not really work like big addons, but more like usual patches. They should add a questline here or there, make a zone or the other accessible, and sometimes maybe bring in a new raid or feature. Consequently, I wouldn’t want any overarching themes at all, and most of a patches’ story should also be finished within that patch.

So I would want to keep the stories small-scale as well. What I would like to see would be a continued focus on the moral imperfection of the factions. You could go into how the Horde now treats people whose families were too deeply associated with fel, driving them into cults like the Burning Blade, you could show how the Defias are really just poor people fighting for their survival, and make it clear that the Stormwind establishment kind of deserves toppling. Quests are all optional, so it’s perfectly possible to give quests from both perspectives - or to introduce reputation factions that really make a difference in the new areas of the map, where you can only work in full with one side of the conflict or the other.

I’d also want to carry that a bit to the “evil” factions. Give the Scourge mutlible competing Warlords that broke free from Arthas. Have them backstab each other and the player hero trying to profit from that while sometimes even working with them. Confteont the Forsaken with freed undead with very different philosophies, making them question their identity. A Quel’Thalas zone could be great for that, especially since we can combine undead dreariness with elven style and their magic environment here.
Explore the competing interests of Sargeras’ lieutnants and learn to distract them by setting them against each other, buying some more time.

The old “dwarves/goblins dig something evil up that should have stayed where it was” is also alsways fun. It could lead to heightened tensions within and between the factions, everyone blaming each other for the problems they have. I’d like the newly freed Dark Irons in more of a neutral position for this, still looking for their place in the world, but with the will and technology to carve one out, if necessary. Indeed, they could not only be interesting to watch for dwarves, but especially for Orcs and Forsaken as well, considering they were thralls made to do evil at the behest of others, now looking for some way to deal with it. Let them be neutral quest givers with a unique perspective on both factions.

Gnomes should make progress with their Gnomeregan operations. They don’t have to get the city back, but opening up an additional dungeon, or an underground zone with quests of its own could be really interesting here. Doesn’t have to be a very big thing, just make more quests about whacky gnomish tech and armies of troggs in the ground that could come out and overrun Khaz Modan, if they aren’t stopped before, or something like that.

For the Trolls fighting Zalazane would be the obvious next big thing. They could put some additional isles up to have a bit of progress with the Ecjo isles without changing the starting area at all. Apart from that their relation with King Rastakhan should be explored. They don’t have to get to the zandalari main land, but their dual loyalties should be something that is explored in quests somewhere.

I think I could go on for quite some time with things like these… I guess in general the biggest change would really be that there is no overarching story, and that there is no need to finish a story within the addon that it starts. You don’t need to kill Arthas after a Scourge themed patch. You don’t need to defeat the Legion in a Legion patch. You don’t need to solve the Defias riots in a Defias patch. You don’t need to get the Zandalari to join a faction in a Zandalari patch. I think I just prefer the big baddies unkilled in the background and the political situation more complex than I have to understand in any particular moment.

And that’s really something I could see in a Classic+ world. Make the world bigger. Don’t take the stuff that is in there away, don’t replace allies and enemies, just add more depth.

3 Likes

Not gonna happen. Undead are already most horde played race once more in classic right now.

Deffinietly I’d like to undo major retcons. So belfies migrated all with their prince to Outland. If their tragedy was so devastating the game should’ve show it.

I’d make Horde to reach out to Amani and see them reclaim their rightful lands together with Vol’Jin. Helping to cleanse remaining scourge. And eventually getting in conflict with other remaining forces. Such as humans. We would have a chance to learn more about legendary tribe in same way as we learned about Zandalari in BfA there would be mini raid to defeat corruption that spewed off from Sunwell remains.

Outland deffinietly should be explored but in different way. Belfies should be neutral faction and take residence in one specific zone could be netherstorm or some other completely new one.

1 Like

Oh, and by the way, I would be against any in-world explanation. It is a retcon. That’s an out of character thing. Just make it it’s own thing. Anything else just confuses it.

Whelp, hoping for that more than Classic+.

2 Likes

Burn this topic in fire.

1 Like