Classic WoW sharding is a mistake

(Arius) #1
Can we please have an authentic vanilla experience with as little changes as possible? I for one - haven't played vanilla when it first came out, since I started playing late TBC but sharding system today is a huge misstep to what WoW was about.

From what I remember - even in TBC, realms were communities of players, they were like small towns where anything you did - good or bad, would reflect on your reputation.

This sharding system would absolutely defeat the whole experience of vanilla in my opinion. It is probably the worst change to the game Blizzard could've done, since the whole reason we want to play vanilla is to meet people, interact with them and have a booming community where you make friends and/or rivals. This is what MMORPG is about... This is what made the game great and what makes current version of WoW... well... lonely.

Please, Blizzard, don't shard the community.

(Mandanu) #2
+1

NO sharding, #NoChanges.

Sharding poll: https://strawpoll.com/7wh9s6y6

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-no-sharding-no-excuses-no-matter-what-no-sharding

(Geronîmoo) #3
Some people said condoms were a mistake as well..

I'm sure you've learned how to read, so let me explain it to you in away that even a 5 year old can understand.

How social do you believe you'd be if you were stuck in a queue for 2+ hours and your buddy is already playing and left you behind and you have to play for 2-3 hours before you catch up to him, while he's offline? Exactly. You'd be stuck in a queue, not interacting with anyone but yourself.

With sharding, you can interact with people, you can group up in the starting zones and level up together.

Once you're out of the starter zones, there is no more sharding. There's no point in having sharding after the starter zones because everyone will be scattered all across the world aka less stress on the servers.

Use the search function and add to existing threads instead of helping with flooding the forum with pointless, duplicate threads.

(Cai) #5
06/11/2018 18:27Posted by Geronîmoo
Some people said condoms were a mistake as well..

I'm sure you've learned how to read, so let me explain it to you in away that even a 5 year old can understand.

How social do you believe you'd be if you were stuck in a queue for 2+ hours and your buddy is already playing and left you behind and you have to play for 2-3 hours before you catch up to him, while he's offline? Exactly. You'd be stuck in a queue, not interacting with anyone but yourself.

With sharding, you can interact with people, you can group up in the starting zones and level up together.

Once you're out of the starter zones, there is no more sharding. There's no point in having sharding after the starter zones because everyone will be scattered all across the world aka less stress on the servers.

Use the search function and add to existing threads instead of helping with flooding the forum with pointless, duplicate threads.

good post, but i think it's important note that sharding should not be used in anything else but launch, in vanilla there can be several times when there can be stress on a server, it's vital for classic that there won't be sharding for example:
- pvp battles, city raids etc.
- AQ gate event.
- any community arranged event (ie, streamer gather's all his fans, minions into one Place and does some goofy stuff).

aslong as sharding is ONLY on launch and nowhere else, i'm not gonna start riot over it.

Sharding “only in the starter zones” to forgo a server queue is a very bad idea.

You might think they have all the world to choose from but once you get out of the starter zones there aren’t any options, you go to the next zone. That is it. And without a login-queue staggering this traffic that congestion is going to be Spectacular.

So what are they gonna do? Turn sharding back on? Turn login-queues back on? Just leave it as is?

I’m sure took a lot of time to create the sharding feature, but it turns the game into a 5man co-op at best. It sucks to sit in a login-queue, but I’m not even going bother to login if that world has Sharding.

(Kèrveros) #7

I’ll summarise my experience today.

So, I’ve been duelling a bit outside SW. The abuse of sharding has been ridiculous!

Hordies were attacking us and then running straight to the SW walls because they got phased out. Every time it was the same thing, meaning that they’d simply heal fully and come back.

Then, whilst duelling, we’d fight and suddenly the duel was over - we were both phased out randomly for no reason at all.

Somehow, a rogue also was waiting for us to go low hp whilst duelling, and thereafter we’d all phase and he’d kill us.

I think there are many bugs Blizzard has not anticipated. And whilst I agree with it being in the game in the starting zones, that should be it.

Text posted subject

‘Sharding only in starting zones at launch’

Sounds like a good compromise, right? Well little compromises is how we got here.

Unlike loot trading where there is a case to be made for how it could be implemented in a way that minimized exploits / abuse, there’s absolutely no reasoned argument for sharding.

It will split the community apart. We won’t see all the people we’d otherwise see.

I won’t meet that one guy in Echo Ridge Mine who I’ll level from 1 to 60 with, who’ll join my guild, who’ll become my best friend & most trusted officer PURELY BECAUSE SHARDING ROLLED THE DICE AND WE LOST.

That’s just one of the potential stories that won’t happen as part of the social experience that is Vanilla WoW used to be, purely because of Sharding.

Please Blizzard, you need to understand the impact sharding has and will have. Any potential server performance gain is far outweighed by the harm it’ll do to the community.

There is no do-over. No second chances for a Classic launch so Blizzard needs to get it right.

You have a very dedicated community here, Blizzard. I don’t think you actually realize how dedicated we are. Tell us what you need from us to help you get this right without sharding. We’ll deliver.

(Alewin) #10

Sharding is the antithesis of community. Do not show me players who I don’t have full interaction options with, who cannot join my guild, who I am not going to bump into again in the open world, and who may vanish at any moment if I don’t immediately party with them.

I understand what sharding is for, I just think it shouldn’t be used as aggressively as it has been in retail. Half the time I feel like I’m alone - until I want to farm herbs, when suddenly everyone in the EU is also farming herbs 5 seconds ahead of me. If I go to an old zone to do an outdated rep farm, I don’t really want to compete with everyone else who’s doing the same thing.

Meanwhile cities feel emptier than ever. Where the heck is the random human male standing on the Stormwind fountain? You phase him back right now, he was iconic! He let me know I was home.

And we don’t really care if there is lag because of a million people in one place. Stormwind/Ironforge are both fair choices in classic, and we’ll start to distribute ourselves based on where we can handle the lag. If we organise a massive raid on the enemy capital, we’re ok if it gets choppy. We prefer that to finding our raid is in an empty city with no players.

sharding is there so that solo players can’t moan that there are to many players tagging their mobs.

i’m not a vanilla player back then, but i did try it when my brother was into it and i remembered being in the starting zone and would get random party invites where i had to follow these people who were doing quests there.

in my mind back then, this gave me the feeling that WoW was a social thing where you join groups to level and quest together. now days it’s all solo in empty zones.

Sharding will break classic but blizzard are not looking at the vanilla players, they are looking at todays players who hate doing things as a group.

I don’t mind it as I think there won’t be millions playing maybe a few thousand so keep it in please.

NO SHARDING! SHARDING IS GARBAGE!

IF PRIVATE SERVERS CAN DO THIS

THEN THERE IS NO REASON BLIZZARD, A MULTI BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY THAT YOU NEED TO PAY IN ORDER TO PLAY, CAN’T DO THE SAME - IF NOT BETTER!

(Grupp) #14

This sharding system would absolutely defeat the whole experience of vanilla in my opinion

You mean it would ‘defeat’ the first 12-13 levels of the game. If the starting area constitutes your ‘whole experience of vanilla’ then you’re not looking to play over the long term.

So was it absolutely necessary to have yet another post about sharding?

Yes, I get it, most people want to be in a huge crowd of hundreds and hundreds of other players for the first 13 levels of the game and don’t care if that means super-long login queues, crashes, lag and impossible to complete quests. They would suffer all the above rather than only being able to see a hundred or less people in the starting areas.

But this point has been made again, and again and again in dozens and dozens of posts. There’s no guarantee that sharding will even make it into the completed game. Blizzard have said that they are fully aware of how unpopular it is.

Personally I really don’t understand why it’s such a huge issue to only see a hundred or random strangers running around rather than several hundred random strangers for the first 13 levels of the game. How long do you typically spend in the starting zones? Five hours maybe? Possibly a bit longer if you’re really taking your time. I can live with it, and I’d rather have that then bloody long login queues. I don’t think mine is an unreasonable mindset to adopt, but it seems I’m in the minority.

Even more so when it will only affect my first character. Any alts I make after that probably won’t even see any sharding because server populations will have stabilised by then and it will have been removed.

Your entire post could be summed up into “I am ok with a multi billion dollar company providing an inferior service to a private server”

You will see sharding everywhere no matter when u roll another char. When do u think this event happened in the vid? Start of the server? That is people running together to Blackwing Lair buddy.

(Shogath) #16

Its more like appreciation for the fact that Blizzard won’t settle for servers that are stripped down of everything just so that large gatherings can happen.

They have obligations to their paying customers, things like security and continuity. You know, those things that don’t exist in freeloader paradise.

Besides, if you crave pirate servers that much what are you even doing here?

No you won’t. They already stated that.

Pff, cant accept video proof of a better experience WITHOUT sharding, Goes on to say it’s because of security lol.

You are right about one thing though, it won’t be in the game (only because people like me are showing indisputable proof that it’s very very doable).

If there is sharding at launch, there’ll be sharding again later down the line.

People either accept this as reality or they don’t.

There’s nothing that can be gained from further discussion on this topic.

Both sides of the argument have dug in, both sides of the argument have had trolls infiltrate them.

It’s out of our hands and now it’s up to Blizzard.

(Grupp) #19

So you’re a time traveller now, who’s been playing Classic WoW and come back to tell us that Blizzard lied and sharding is used throughout the game?

OK fine, prove it.

I want to see date stamped footage from the period of summer 2019 and after the conclusively proves that you travelled forward in time, played Classic WoW then climbed back into your time machine to give us the news.

They already said they were considering it at the start (there is video proof of that aswell), I’ve shown u video proof that it is not required and you are trying to EXCUSE a multi billion dollar company of providing a superior experience.

If it get’s in the game, that’s it. Done. Sharding will stay and appear whenever it’s “neccesary”.

(Grupp) #21

You’re alleged ‘proof’ is some footage of what looks to be a private server, and you are trying to use that as evidence that sharding will be implemented in every region of Classic WoW at every stage of the game. It’s unclear how you arrived at such a bizarre and irrational conclusion.

“They’ll put sharding everywhere in the official client”
“How do you know that?”
“Because of this video of a pirate server show some people running around”

No, doesn’t work. It makes no sense at all.

If it get’s in the game, that’s it. Done. Sharding will stay and appear whenever it’s “neccesary”.

Evidence?