Combat boost spam?

Do you think it will work?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ptr-915-development-notes/1082616/8

1 Like

Probably has a good chance when paired with non-level 60’s not being able to enlist groups in the mythic dungeon and raid tabs. It’s too much of a bother to advertise if those doing it need to have an authenticator linked to the account in order to post custom messages. Most of them probably do use throwaway accounts after all or in some cases even compromised accounts.

It will at least reduce the amount of boost spam (possibly significantly). I don’t expect the problem to be totally eliminated.

2 Likes

All these silly workarounds, they already have a good solution. If they don’t want to ban these guys because it’s hacked accounts then just lock them till they are manually claimed, they already do this if you log in from a random IP.

If they are manually claimed and still post ads in LFG then ban em, easy.

isn’t that a kick in the teeth to people who cannot use an authentication?
I cannot use it because it doesn’t work here. So i cannot write anything in my group? What dumb solution is this please?

how about telling everyone who advertise boosting gets banned?
Then it will get less by default.

I guess the main advantage of also adding a Blizzard Authenticator requirement to the group listing feature is that it will make it easier for Blizzard to reliably identify and ban repeat offenders who use multiple throw-away accounts with botted level 60 characters.

The Blizzard Authenticator app sends device information that allows it to be uniquely identified (e.g. IMEI). The PC/Mac client of WoW does so too, of course (e.g. MAC), but if Blizzard bans based on PC/Mac hardware, they would maybe punish innocent people if that PC/Mac is used by multiple people (e.g. in an Internet cafe).

Mobile devices are practically never shared by multiple people, so if 10 different WoW accounts use the same Blizzard Authenticator and the same mobile device and one of them is used for offensive activities, Blizz can quite reliably ban all 10 WoW accounts if they want to shut that person down completely.

1 Like

Those boost sellers just buy new accounts when they get banned.

By requiring Authenticator registration, Blizz will be able to ban all current and future accounts belonging to a person. Of course, the offending boost sellers could buy multiple phones/SIM cards, but that would increase the cost and effort of creating throw-away accounts that can be used for spamming.

1 Like

I had to deal with the same thing with multiboxing.

They banned broadcasting because it was being abused. I still play 2 characters without any broadcasting, but I understand that it needed to be done.

Wont change much I don’t think. You can emulate a phone/authenticator on PC very easily. They’ll just emulate a fake phone per account and carry on as you did before. I’m more interested what the authenticator can do, can it trake info from your phone? Not looked into it yet so no idea.

Just checked yeah it does give them access to to certain things.

• full network acess
  • view network connections
  • receive data from the internet
  • read content of your storage

Let me get this straight, after this patch I can’t anymore list an m+ group unless my phone is supported by the authenticator? This would be terrible.

Or via pc…

Haven’t seen this option when I clicked on the authenticator option. I’ll check if that’s available without 3rd party support

Can you tell me why is this a problem? I am using phone authenticator, but I see a lot of people negatively reacting to it…

Because I don’t want to replace my phone that works perfectly well?

I won’t be affected by it myself since I’ve been using the authenticator, but I’m concerned that this will disadvantage legitimate customers who do not want to use one for whatever reason. Adding custom text to group descriptions is important. Those who misuse LFG will be able to get around this with emulators either way.

You can. You just cant put text in the description window.

Also Blizzards statement:

such that penalties incurred by in-game reporting have not proven to be an effective deterrent

Ye no poop sherlock. How about you actually monitor it yourself and bann hammer away rather than A: Relying to your customers and B: Your automated systems that NEVER work as you claim them to (and for that we have proof ourselves. Just looking at your silence system)

Also this change wont do anything because boost sellers couldnt care less about their custom message as their core message is in the group name anyway.

1 Like

Yes, if I can’t put a +15/weekly/whatever it’s the same as useless. Or leather/mail/plate for legacy content.

It will help, especially if they start banning boost spammers. While there are ways to circumvent this, 9.1.5 will still put a lot of resistance in front of boost spammers and that’s a good thing.

Nah, they’ll just have it auto-invite people and spam the message.

What do you mean replace, as in you don’t use a smartphone?