Consistent increase in memory usage over time (Memory leak?)

WoW is for some reason allocating more and more memory as time goes by. From some testing I have found out that it only occurs with DirectX 12. If I switch to 11, the “leak” is gone.
It starts at somewhere around 3GB and creeps up at ~3MB/s

As I finish writing this, it’s almost at 6GB. Send help

Edit: I have tried disabling all my AddOns and it persists.

Edit2: Some interesting findings. The allocation rate seems to be proportionate to the frame rate. If I limit the frame rate from 60 to 30, the leaking seems to be about half, etc. It does not seem to be tied to the window size, however. Going into window mode and limiting my window size from 1920x1080 down to 720x576 (lowest possible) did not affect the leak rate at all.
I couldn’t find any setting other than the graphics API that stops the leaking completely.

1 Like

yep noticed that too. two weeks ago before i took a two week break everything was fine and working. now i returned from my break three days ago and i noticed that wow is taking more and more ram and vram. suddenly it takes liek twice the amount of vram as before.

i’ve no addons installed (well i use a simple coordinates addon only but i disabled it for testing purposes). seems one of the recent patches introduced some heavy bugs like this one and like other ones with ipv6 (stuck on loading screens constantly, not possible to login etc when ipv6 is enabled. two weeks ago everything was working flawlessly. played on ipv6 for the entire past year without a single problem)

1 Like

I too have noticed a steadily increase in memory usage, it got to the point where after a few days (with WoW running idle in the background on the log-in screen) I basically ran out of memory for pretty much anything else and was forced to reboot.

Core i7-8700K (overclocked to 4.9GHz)
32GB of Team Nighthawk PC3200 RAM
AMD RX5800 8GB
Samsung 960 PRO m.2

No addons installed.

Note to the other posters, disabling addons doesn’t unload them, it just deactivates them. For proper testing you will need to remove them entirely.

Note to the other posters, disabling addons doesn’t unload them, it just deactivates them. For proper testing you will need to remove them entirely.

It didn’t have an effect on the leaking, but that’s very good to know for the future. Thank you!

An update with regards to my own investigations.

I started noticing that memory leaks were happing with other programs not just WoW. Particularly programs that used Adobe Flash in some aspect, which Blizzard seems to have embedded into the launcher for the replaying of adverts.

So I dug down.

It appears that the lastest graphics driver for AMD has a conflict issue with Flash and their “game overlay”, which causes memory not to be freed up properly. In my case, the resolution was to disable the “game overlay” in AMD’s “Adrenaline” control panel.

Once this was disabled, I ceased having memory leaks.

I honestly don’t know why everyone everywhere seems to feel the need to implement an “overlay” these days. They cause nothing but problems, and add nothing. I keep disabling them, but everytime theres an update, the update usually re-enables them.